I hate Quicksaves and Quickloads.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Socratatus
x4

I hate Quicksaves and Quickloads.

Post by Socratatus » Sun, 6. Jan 19, 22:55

This is a Public Information message.

I hate Quickload and Quicksaves.

Why? Because even though I never use them, I have twice acidentally hit the quicksave or quickload key and lost a present running session since the game will immediately wipe it out. This usually happens when I move the keyboard and touch one of the `F` keys.

I advise anyone who manually loads or saves, as I do, to go into the options and delete completely the Quicksaves and Quickloads key commands to avoid future heartache! This is quite easily done, thanks to Egosoft.

This has been a Public Information message.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

DeFragMe
x4

Re: I hate Quicksaves and Quickloads.

Post by DeFragMe » Sun, 6. Jan 19, 22:59

just for generall question, not meant to be mean or anything, but how does one hit by accident the quicksave/load button? at least on my keyboard it is F5 for save and even F9 for quickload and that is quite far away from the rest of the keys i need.. and i play mainly by keyboard...

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sun, 6. Jan 19, 23:10

DeFragMe wrote:
Sun, 6. Jan 19, 22:59
just for generall question, not meant to be mean or anything, but how does one hit by accident the quicksave/load button? at least on my keyboard it is F5 for save and even F9 for quickload and that is quite far away from the rest of the keys i need.. and i play mainly by keyboard...
Nothing mean about it. I expected questions. Well I have a two `step desk` and sometimes I have to move the keyboard above to make way for my joystick and twice now it`s either caught part of the top deck (hitting the Quickload key) .

Immediately the game screen goes black and I realise its loading up an old save or screwing around with saving when I don`t want it to.

Yes, I should be more careful, but I never use Quicksave or Quick load, never have, preferring to do my own saves at the right times (no tense battles or anything). Quicksaves can cause crashes at the wrong time and quickloads kill the present session.

Maybe I`ll use my other more slimline keyboard.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

snorrewb
x4

Post by snorrewb » Sun, 6. Jan 19, 23:10

DeFragMe wrote:
Can't speak for OP, but I can tell you that my cat lies down on my F keys all the time. Only once has he quickloaded, though. He also lies down on the key that turns your view away from the UI. I have to restart the game to fix that.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 6. Jan 19, 23:11

My keyboard has an F lock button, turning the Function keys on or off. Perhaps there is some kind of option like that for you?

Dread Quixadhal
x4

Post by Dread Quixadhal » Sun, 6. Jan 19, 23:42

I don't object to the CONCEPT of quicksave and quickload... however...

X4 is stuck in the past with regards to save file management. It maintains the same fixed number of save slots that was used all the way back to X-Tension, and which was very common back in the days of the Playstation 2, where saved games took up "slots" on a memory card.

These days, I really wish we'd just move to keeping a new save directory for each game start, and just allow a fixed number of saves within that folder (to avoid needing a scrolling UI). That way, quicksave and quickload ,as well as any autosaves, are always relevant to the current game you're playing, not another game you put on hold to try something different.

I find that when I use the quicksave feature, I forget and decide to start a new game, and then realize the quicksave I just made overwrote the one from my other game, and the last normal save for that game was 4 hours earlier. Ugh.

tSpecR

Post by tSpecR » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 07:09

Just bind it to shift-f9 or something. Would be annoying to accidentally load. Never had the issue but it would annoy me. I only really use quicksave and manualy load my quickloads, dont know why just habit I suppose.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 07:57

grapedog wrote:
Sun, 6. Jan 19, 23:11
My keyboard has an F lock button, turning the Function keys on or off. Perhaps there is some kind of option like that for you?
Is that the F11 key with a little lock symbol on it? Hmmmm... i`ll have a look at that. Although I already solved my issue, but still i`ll check it anyway.

Halodrian
x4

Post by Halodrian » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 10:48

Socratatus wrote:
Sun, 6. Jan 19, 22:55
This is a Public Information message.

I hate Quickload and Quicksaves.
[...]
I advise anyone who manually loads or saves, as I do, to go into the options and delete completely the Quicksaves and Quickloads key commands to avoid future heartache! This is quite easily done, thanks to Egosoft.
@ OP
You may consider to set a Key Combo, like [shift]+[F5] / [F9], to work around that unwanted Quicksave/-load keypress thing.
Ingame go to Settings -> Controlls-> General and configure your preferred Keybinds.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASUS Z87-Deluxe/ Intel Core i7-4770-K/ 16GB DDR3-1866Mhz/ Nvidia GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB DDR5/ Win 10 Pro

Tajin
x4

Post by Tajin » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 11:17

Just consider yourself lucky that your keyboard does not have "shutdown" shortcut key :)

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 12:33

Tajin wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 11:17
Just consider yourself lucky that your keyboard does not have "shutdown" shortcut key :)
Don't remind me!
I am still wondering what godforsaken dimwit decided to put that thing right next to the +Volume.
AND, to round matters up to a nice and warm disaster it's "FN + F12", so i can't even get rid of the sodding key!
Have fun: Gala Do.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 12:38

snorrewb wrote:
Sun, 6. Jan 19, 23:10
DeFragMe wrote:
Can't speak for OP, but I can tell you that my cat lies down on my F keys all the time. Only once has he quickloaded, though. He also lies down on the key that turns your view away from the UI. I have to restart the game to fix that.
Only a matter of time before your cat will be hitting that key all the time. Cats do that. I`m not kidding!
Tajin wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 11:17
I had that once. Never again.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 00:59

Socratatus wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 07:57
grapedog wrote:
Sun, 6. Jan 19, 23:11
Is that the F11 key with a little lock symbol on it? Hmmmm... i`ll have a look at that. Although I already solved my issue, but still i`ll check it anyway.
On my keyboard, it's a key after F12... and it just says F Lock.

Return to “X4: Foundations”