Bad game design: satellites

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Bad game design: satellites

Post by Tomonor » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 16:00

I rather have 8 satellites per sector than n number of trade agent per station after smalltalk. Let that sink in.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 16:07

duncan idaho wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 15:52
The bulk of the work could be performed by a much computationally cheaper "trade relay beacon" or whatever; a long-range satellite that does not relay information other than trade info for stations in its radius. I'd much rather plop down one or two of these per sector and just get the trade info than having to spam 10,20,30 of the things everywhere.
You need just a few adv sats per sector to cover it, no reason to spam tens of normal sats.

Grimmrog
x4

Post by Grimmrog » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 16:07

pref wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 15:31
Grimmrog wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 15:09
No annoying flying around and spamming all stations with sattelites in EVERY new game we start. That is already a pretty much "better" thing, as it gets reptetive quite quickly with each playthrough.
It takes a few clicks on the map, no clue why you do it personally.

The rest i just don't get - why should they tell even their location to you, how would you handle all the offers you cannot reach as you have no idea how to get there - its just useless info at that point.
And obviously if you are already in their space and there is no hostility between you and them that grants you a certain level of trust as you at least made contact.
Which you won't get just from start obviously.

There are mods to reveal the whole map if you don't want to deal with that - why make a cheat official?
I am not doing it personally, but its hundreds of clicks if you include all sectors, thats not a few.

THEY WANT to sell their stuff.

THEY WANT to buy wares.

thats why THEY WANT everoyne to know these locations and prices, because then their needs get fulfilled and their goods sold. Why does amazon just offer all goods, and distribute it to everoyne? because thats how a market works. And since we do not get "hired" to deliver wares, every stations supply is either rlied on their owned traders or free traders. And by this Every station that offers a buy price would make sure to get this known to everyone because only then would free traders easily choose them as a target to sell the goods. Only station that have their own ships supplying them would not want to reveal their position or buy offers AND if they hve own ships to sell. otherwise if they rely on traders for either, selling or buying goods they would make sure everoyne and their grandma knows what they sell and by.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 16:16

Grimmrog wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 16:07
I am not doing it personally, but its hundreds of clicks if you include all sectors, thats not a few.
Oh my. Actually uncovering the map takes way more clicks. Or building a complex. Man, all these clicks - just terrible :D

But yeah i bet it's more boring if you discover the whole universe first and then want to handle the sats in one go.

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 16:27

I think i could actually live with it if a rather small change would be implemented: Satellites cover an encompassed space (3+).

PLUS every station covered by your network pays you connection fee. BUT if you want to get the fee then the information is public and the AI uses it as well - also for a fee of course.
You get your network income once every 3 hours as a total.
Have fun: Gala Do.

Grimmrog
x4

Post by Grimmrog » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 16:47

pref wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 16:16
Grimmrog wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 16:07
Oh my. Actually uncovering the map takes way more clicks. Or building a complex. Man, all these clicks - just terrible :D

But yeah i bet it's more boring if you discover the whole universe first and then want to handle the sats in one go.
Uncovering is a similar issue, but mostlikely broken, because the atoexploration on ships is rather broken by the speed they uncover stuff.
And it's surely moreborign when you send the ship to unvover and constantly have to look at thhat ship if you wanna drop sattelies while exploring.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 18:18

Grimmrog wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 16:47
Uncovering is a similar issue, but mostlikely broken, because the atoexploration on ships is rather broken by the speed they uncover stuff.
And it's surely moreborign when you send the ship to unvover and constantly have to look at thhat ship if you wanna drop sattelies while exploring.
I'm sure there already is or soon will come a mod that automates laying a sat net.

Grimmrog
x4

Post by Grimmrog » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 10:37

pref wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 18:18
Grimmrog wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 16:47
I'm sure there already is or soon will come a mod that automates laying a sat net.
well yes it would be nice if we had an atoexplore and drop(rearm) sattelite feature. because thats simply what you would command your explorers to do.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 13:24

Grimmrog wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 10:37
well yes it would be nice if we had an atoexplore and drop(rearm) sattelite feature. because thats simply what you would command your explorers to do.
I hope they will fix the explore command in 2.0. I just can't get myself to do that, and while satellites seem to keep track of station regardless of the 3rd axis which we cannot work with on the map, while exploring it's still needed i think. So that cannot even be taken care of by just queueing a couple fly to commands.

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 13:46

pref wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 14:13
Grimmrog wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 14:07
Why would a faction with the need to get goods delivered form A to B restrict those informations to anymore? thats neither in the interest of that facion, nor of every single Station.
Allowing trade with other groups was always restricted in human history, especially when there were ongoing large scale open conflicts.
You only trade with people you trust.

On the other hand i don't see why would it make the game any better if we would have instant access to all trade offers across the galaxy.
It would not make it better. If i can see that there is a much better offer for a specific ware then so can my Unitrader.
He's just too effing dumb to act on it. The problem clearly is not lack of information.

Grimmrog
x4

Post by Grimmrog » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 16:04

Ghalador wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 13:46
pref wrote:
Grimmrog wrote:
Mon, 7. Jan 19, 14:07
Why would a faction with the need to get goods delivered form A to B restrict those informations to anymore? thats neither in the interest of that facion, nor of every single Station.
Allowing trade with other groups was always restricted in human history, especially when there were ongoing large scale open conflicts.

On the other hand i don't see why would it make the game any better if we would have instant access to all trade offers across the galaxy.
It would not make it better. If i can see that there is a much better offer for a specific ware then so can my Unitrader.
He's just too effing dumb to act on it. The problem clearly is not lack of information.
Thats a difference, one is a designed "unknown price" slapped onto us by the game mechanic, the other you describe is just the dump AI or wahetever causes it to make unsuited trades.

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 16:45

Grimmrog wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 16:04
Ghalador wrote:
pref wrote:

Thats a difference, one is a designed "unknown price" slapped onto us by the game mechanic, the other you describe is just the dump AI or wahetever causes it to make unsuited trades.
Nah, you have to follow the whole context.
The satellite solution as it stands now is a heap of garbage -> make information freely available, why satellites in the first place -> YOU: I fail to see why this would improve anything -> ME: yea it probably won't because the AI is a cretin, you can provide all the information you want -> ... but the satellite solution is of course STILL horse crap, you are totally right, regardless of anything else said.

Grimmrog
x4

Post by Grimmrog » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 17:39

Ghalador wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 16:45
Grimmrog wrote:
Tue, 8. Jan 19, 16:04
Ghalador wrote:

Nah, you have to follow the whole context.
The satellite solution as it stands now is a heap of garbage -> make information freely available, why satellites in the first place -> YOU: I fail to see why this would improve anything -> ME: yea it probably won't because the AI is a cretin, you can provide all the information you want -> ... but the satellite solution is of course STILL horse crap, you are totally right, regardless of anything else said.
Ah ok yes, I was a bit confused.

jakotheshadows
x4

Post by jakotheshadows » Wed, 9. Jan 19, 05:51

I think a 100 million cr surveillance module that covers the inhabited length of most sectors would be worth it, maybe an option to point it at different parts of the sector like a... space observatory. *wink wink, nudge nudge*

Return to “X4: Foundations”