Ship scales

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Ship scales

Post by Tomonor » Mon, 1. Jun 20, 21:21

Général Grievous wrote:
Mon, 1. Jun 20, 21:13
repatomonor wrote:
Mon, 1. Jun 20, 20:48
Although, every station was upscaled in X Rebirth for some reason.
This. Yeah. Now that I think about it, X Rebirth stations seems to be bigger than in X4.
Yep. Egosoft was keen on that 'GTA in space' feeling. The result was hugely oversized stations with many civilian traffic/CCC vehicles and Zones separating each other with a fading effect applied between each of them.

The only thing that the fade effect wasn't applied to entirely is the highways. If you fly above/below the sector plane in Rebirth, you can see that the sectors aren't necessarily larger than in X4. It's just that your brain was successfully fooled by their scale trickery.

edit: also, now that we have Star Wars in the conversation - the Millenium Falcon is tiny for an M pad.
https://youtu.be/w7v4kxcs8Es?t=165

dholmstr

Post by dholmstr » Mon, 1. Jun 20, 21:42

That docking part for S/M ships on L size ships, I actually would like to see that they can't hold more than 2 per docking pad. For example the Behemoth with it's 4 S-landing pads could only hold 4 on the inside. Then someday, maybe, a light carrier design for L size would be a thing. And yes The Oddy with its M is just..odd...y
Last edited by dholmstr on Mon, 1. Jun 20, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Mon, 1. Jun 20, 21:46

dholmstr wrote:
Mon, 1. Jun 20, 21:42
And yes The Oddy with its M is just..odd...y
Art team was like
-"What real life objects and other household appliance didn't we use for inspiration?
-Tabletop? Check. Mushroom? Check. Tv remote? Check. Hmmm... Hairdryer?
-Oooh. Do it."

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 03:24

Going into Heretics End in X3TC, the Terran station was enormous. It looked close yet took an age to get close. And to dock also took absolutely ages. Giving an immense senes of scale.
There is nothing like that in X4,

X4 is very limited in its sense of size, even with the Split addition, the overall map is still easy to get around quickly ( and thats not using any highways. )
The stations seem small, and the XL ships are Tiny in ones perspective of what once was in X3.

X4 is good for what it is, but has little to no comparison to X3

I was so looking forward to X4, it being the next step in evolution. But alas it dose not deliver what X3 had in sense of size.

No mater what sector you are in, each feels the same regarding size. A contained sphere of a set size. Yes you can keep going outward, but there is no feeling of distance. In X3 some moons could be circumnavigated, this gave a real feeling of distance in a sector. X4 backdrops are perspectively bland regarding size scale and distance. Such a shame.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 07:55

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Wed, 3. Jun 20, 03:24

No mater what sector you are in, each feels the same regarding size. A contained sphere of a set size. Yes you can keep going outward, but there is no feeling of distance. In X3 some moons could be circumnavigated, this gave a real feeling of distance in a sector. X4 backdrops are perspectively bland regarding size scale and distance. Such a shame.
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=423573

There are already explorers in X4. You can do a lot.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 13:57

I think people are confusing speed and distance. Try flying from one end of the universe to the other without travel drive, boost, or highways.

Personally, I don't want to go back to the X3 days of setting a destination, turning on auto pilot, getting up, making a sandwich, eating it, washing the dishes, cleaning the kitchen, then checking if you've gotten close to your destination yet.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 15:01

The biggest problem with any sort of sense of scale is that turrets and surface elements seem to scale with ship size classes.

Turrets and main batteries on L/XL ships are ridiculously oversized, so the ship itself by comparison will look like a fighter.

mdlman
x4

Post by mdlman » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 19:22

I can't comment on previous X games, but one of the things I enjoy is in X4 the sense of scale. I can only compare it to things like Elite: Dangerous, where the scale is meh. In E:D the Asp and the Anaconda are clearly different sizes but they don't feel like a different class.

When I'm hiding in the (many) blind spots of a phoenix with a nemesis I actually get a sense of scale. I can land an eclipse on a cerberus and the cerberus on an odysseus. Sitting on top of a K and poking out to destroy engines, turrets etc makes me feel like I'm a gnat buzzing around a bear. I haven't gotten those feelings in other space games. Maybe it was more pronounced in other X series games, but in this case ignorance is bliss.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 21:41

adeine wrote:
Wed, 3. Jun 20, 15:01
The biggest problem with any sort of sense of scale is that turrets and surface elements seem to scale with ship size classes.

Turrets and main batteries on L/XL ships are ridiculously oversized, so the ship itself by comparison will look like a fighter.
I disagree. Not completely, but I think the "worst sized weapons" are small ones. Put mass drivers on a Balaur and they look like they're as long as the ship itself.

Return to “X4: Foundations”