Gaming Music

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Gaming Music

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 05:55

What music do you plan to listen to while you play X4? Will you play a custom playlist, or listen to the in-game music?

I, for one, find Mazzy Star's "So Tonight That I Might See" album to be very appropriate. It sounds like something you'd hear playing on a jukebox in a space bar.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

X-Raptor

Re: Gaming Music

Post by X-Raptor » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 06:55

I'd prefer the in-game music, since X4 is a Space Sim which means it should have a unique music that could suit this type of games, it's not GTA, a Racing Game or an Action Shooter you know? LOL And we haven't even listened yet to the in-game music, why not, shouldn't we hear it first, X-Soundtracks used to be very cool and so atmospheric. :D

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 08:41

Well since Rebirth I have taken to wearing headphones, the reference to "wares", "what you looking at" and "I do mean anything" has necessitated the need for more discretion.... In other words I got tired of my wife taking the pizzle..... so no external sound sources.
Hopefully I can return to speakers in Foundations..... Always enjoyed the in game music (brilliant) and from what little I have heard intend to stay with that, hopefully at not tooooo loud a volume.

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 09:00

Usually when I play games, I turn the music down or off. I prefer to hear everything going on around me in-game (as I cannot filter sounds, I hear everything at once, or I may home in on a certain aspect of the song, such as a cymbal crash, and hear that every time it happens, louder than anything else). Also, sometimes music in video games will have tones that sound similar to gameplay audio cues (such as a "shimmer" when near a chest in an RPG), causing me to stop and look for something that isn't there. I find the music in-game often takes me out of a game, whereas playing my own music kinda makes me feel like Star-Lord lol.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 11:30

Mostly ingame music.
Game music is designed for the situation you are in. So it an essential part of the game and improves your game experience. More important it is dynamic. Your track can not react to game changes. And hearing an epic battle music while managing your fleet is a bit... :roll:

Of course if the game music is bad I grab some custom tracks. Nothing special. Just a quick search on Youtube. There are dozens of compilations.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 11:48

LittleBird wrote:
Fri, 16. Nov 18, 11:30
Mostly ingame music.
Game music is designed for the situation you are in. So it an essential part of the game and improves your game experience. More important it is dynamic. Your track can not react to game changes. And hearing an epic battle music while managing your fleet is a bit... :roll:

Of course if the game music is bad I grab some custom tracks. Nothing special. Just a quick search on Youtube. There are dozens of compilations.
However, external music can also enhance gameplay. I remember playing Mad Max, storming through a base while playing A Perfect Circle's "Judith." Watching the camera zoom in and slow down while an enemy's neck was broken from a suplex while hearing "it's not like you killed someone" felt strangely poetic.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 12:54

I rarely fiddle with music in my games. However I hope there are more tracks for combat this time around,in previous X games there were only 2-3 and each time you start combat those same tracks come up. Get's old after you chain a few combat missions. I remember replacing the files with Chop Suey and Toxicity from System of a Down. Nothing compares to starting your combat with the Chop Suey gitar solo.

On the other hand the ambient music of X games was always unique and relaxing even after 1000s of hours. This is why I opted often to only change the combat specific ones instead of muting game music and using winamp.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 18:24

I like Alexei's work enough that sometimes I find myself playing tracks from X3 and Rebirth while playing other games. :D

Holst (The Planets, obvs) and Sibelius are also pretty excellent for tooling around in a space sim.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

wrmiller
x4

Post by wrmiller » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 18:39

I'll give the in-game music a go at first. If not to my liking, I have a iMac right next to my gaming PC that I play music on when I'm playing that other spaceship flying game. :)
Alienware Aurora R10: AMD Ryzen 7 5800, 128GB DDR4 system memory, AMD RX 6800 XT 16GB, Warthog HOTAS, VKB pedals, trackIR

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 19:35

The X-series music has always been great, but gets repetitive. Youtube offers good "space ambient" music and also amazing combat tracks. With many music players and the software Autohotkey you can switch from your "X-Ambient playlist" to "X-Combat playlist". But you have to hit a key once in a while. So it's not perfect.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 19:40

Hector0x wrote:
Fri, 16. Nov 18, 19:35
The X-series music has always been great, but gets repetitive. Youtube offers good "space ambient" music and also amazing combat tracks. With many music players and the software Autohotkey you can switch from your "X-Ambient playlist" to "X-Combat playlist". But you have to hit a key once in a while. So it's not perfect.
Let's hope the playlist is properly moddable so we can put in 100 plus tracks if we want.

I vaguely recall when I modded the combat music I could only add in 3-5 tracks since what I did was rename my chosen tracks to the ones in the music folder and replace them.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 19:41

I will be honest. I think it would be a sin to replace Thomas Egeskov Petersen's and Alexei Zakharov's musics ingame.

There are games with bad quality/boring tracks. There are tracks made just right for the vibe. And then there are the X games, which tracks genre and quality couldn't be more spot on.

desiriel
x4

Post by desiriel » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 19:44

repatomonor wrote:
Fri, 16. Nov 18, 19:41
I will be honest. I think it would be a sin to replace Thomas Egeskov Petersen's and Alexei Zakharov's musics ingame.

There are games with bad quality/boring tracks. There are tracks made just right for the vibe. And then there are the X games, which tracks genre and quality couldn't be more spot on.
You stole my words as I was writing them.
Rebirth's music was actually excellent and was pleasant to listen to. So I hope and expect to find X4's to be as well.
+1 for Thomas and Alexei for sure.

preludelinux
x4

Post by preludelinux » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 20:06

I enjoyed XR's music so much i will give the in-game music a go at first. usually in game music is tailored to whats going on , i look forward to that experience.
System Specs "Main System / Secondary System"
  • Linux Mint 19
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x / Core i7 4770k
  • 64 GB Ram / 32 GB Ram
  • 2X Nvidia GTX 1080 "4k + 1080P" / AMD RX Vega 64 "1080P"
  • KVM / Qemu Pci Passthrough 8 Core 16GB Ram Nvidia GTX 1080

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Sun, 18. Nov 18, 15:07

OST's for

X:BTF
X:Tension
X2: The Threat
X3: Reunion
X3: Terran Conflict
X:R

Hours of awesome tracks

AC_Black
x4

Post by AC_Black » Sun, 18. Nov 18, 20:38

In game for me as well, but turned down to about 35%. I enjoy the change in pace style of cruising to combat.. flight... besides sometimes flying to a gate and i get absorbed in the view and not see that I am about to get blasted lol
Honor is the Only thing to Hold True.

Value comes from the Space you have and what you make of what Space you got.

H.I.E.R.
Honesty, Integrity, Equanimity and Respect.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Sun, 18. Nov 18, 21:03

AC_Black wrote:
Sun, 18. Nov 18, 20:38
besides sometimes flying to a gate and i get absorbed in the view and not see that I am about to get blasted lol
Turns off UI for the screenshots.
Goes through gate.

"Oh what a nice view."

"Entering system: Xenon Sector 598"

"Sheeeeeit"

"Incoming missile"

"Game Over. Press any button"

AC_Black
x4

Post by AC_Black » Sun, 18. Nov 18, 21:45

csaba wrote:
Sun, 18. Nov 18, 21:03
AC_Black wrote:
Sun, 18. Nov 18, 20:38
besides sometimes flying to a gate and i get absorbed in the view and not see that I am about to get blasted lol
Turns off UI for the screenshots.
Goes through gate.

"Oh what a nice view."

"Entering system: Xenon Sector 598"

"Sheeeeeit"

"Incoming missile"

"Game Over. Press any button"
OHHHHH I have done that about 5 times... :lol: I got very good at turning around and going back through the gate hehe
Honor is the Only thing to Hold True.

Value comes from the Space you have and what you make of what Space you got.

H.I.E.R.
Honesty, Integrity, Equanimity and Respect.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sun, 18. Nov 18, 22:33

Thinking of it further, the music tracks in X games are more than simple filler musics.

They define the sectors/systems. Starting from X2, each track was set to one or a few sectors and it seems like the map designers knew what they were doing with the outcome.
For instance, a hard example:

X3 - Sector: Argon Prime - Track: Every victory comes with a price
You don't even need to know the title of the track, once the game greets you with the bluish light of the Sonra upon exiting the gate you know you are home and that Argon, even after the many recent battles still stand strong to this very moment (this is especially true at the start of X3 Reunion, when 70% of the Argon armada was destroyed at Omicron Lyrae a few days ago).

I'm pretty sure I don't have to list every soundtracks thus far to know what I'm talking about. X-Rebirth was a tiny bit different, where Albion had quite a few smaller random tracks on rotation, but it was fitting since the entire original game was stuck into 4 systems.

ishmaeltheforsaken
x4

Post by ishmaeltheforsaken » Sun, 18. Nov 18, 22:42

repatomonor wrote:
Sun, 18. Nov 18, 22:33
Thinking of it further, the music tracks in X games are more than simple filler musics.

They define the sectors/systems. Starting from X2, each track was set to one or a few sectors and it seems like the map designers knew what they were doing with the outcome.
For instance, a hard example:

X3 - Sector: Argon Prime - Track: Every victory comes with a price
You don't even need to know the title of the track, once the game greets you with the bluish light of the Sonra upon exiting the gate you know you are home and that Argon, even after the many recent battles still stand strong to this very moment (this is especially true at the start of X3 Reunion, when 70% of the Argon armada was destroyed at Omicron Lyrae a few days ago).

I'm pretty sure I don't have to list every soundtracks thus far to know what I'm talking about. X-Rebirth was a tiny bit different, where Albion had quite a few smaller random tracks on rotation, but it was fitting since the entire original game was stuck into 4 systems.
I haven’t played any of the X3 games in almost ten years and I still immediately remembered that track within the first three seconds. These games have always had such iconic scores, I’m really excited to hear X4’s.

Return to “X4: Foundations”