No info?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nikola515
x4

Re: No info?

Post by Nikola515 » Sun, 11. Nov 18, 20:54

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 11. Nov 18, 20:44
"what will happen with X4 if our fears come true ?"

If my X4 fears come true then I might have to replace some of my system's hardware elements. :cry: After that is resolved I would expect to play the game quite enjoyably and maybe help Egosoft with their sorting out of any teething troubles in the process. :)

Remember that I have no business ties or commercial obligations to Egosoft apart from perhaps an NDA from the XR testing days.
You so funny :P Im sure you will be busy dealing with polite people too :eg:
Last edited by Nikola515 on Sun, 11. Nov 18, 21:18, edited 2 times in total.
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Sun, 11. Nov 18, 21:00

birdtable wrote:
Sun, 11. Nov 18, 20:51
@ ZombiePotatoSalad ..... :D :D :D
I was wondering what to call my Kestrel ..I now know...."THE DUCK OF DOOM

still ... :D :D :D :D ...cheers :rofl:
And here's the sound it will make when it flies:

https://youtu.be/aykU_WcxkR4?t=7s
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 11. Nov 18, 21:02

:D @ Nikola515: I could respond by starting "As a surviving moderator from the XR release, nothing worse can possibly …." But I won't because its Off Topic and everybody with a long history here already knows anyway.

Back on thread topic please. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sun, 11. Nov 18, 21:02

ZombiePotatoSalad wrote:
Sun, 11. Nov 18, 20:53
What will happen if our X4 fears come true?

Well, I imagine that as loyal Egosoft customers (many for a decade or more), we will help fix the game.

Lets hope it will be enough to sustain development.....
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sun, 11. Nov 18, 21:08

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 11. Nov 18, 21:02
:D @ Nikola515: I could respond by starting "As a surviving moderator from the XR release, nothing worse can possibly …." But I won't because its Off Topic and everybody with a long history here already knows anyway.

Back on thread topic please. :D
Well at least you have plenty experience.... They should promote you to elite mod now :P Im actually looking forward and im hoping everything will be normal.... Anyway I agree we should go back to topic.....

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Sun, 11. Nov 18, 21:26

Back on topic... what more can we say? Any time something like this is mentioned, it's replied with "please wait" and "soonTM" ad nauseum. Yes, I fully understand waiting (I'm doing it right now), but a bit more information is good.

It just seems to go back and forth, with the devs remaining quiet, save for the occasionally forum post.
Am I the only one hearing the song "Trust in Me" from the Jungle Book in my head right now?
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Sun, 11. Nov 18, 21:53

Back on topic? :thumb_up:
I wonder if the NDA drops before the release. :gruebel:
Well... I don't think so but if... maybe... possibly... we could get some new infos. :sceptic:
Besides we have 2018 man. Everything gets leaked. :twisted:
Just a tiny bit? :oops:
That exessive usage of emojis should tell you that I'm not serious at all
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Sun, 11. Nov 18, 23:46

LittleBird wrote:
Sun, 11. Nov 18, 21:53
Back on topic? :thumb_up:
I wonder if the NDA drops before the release. :gruebel:
Well... I don't think so but if... maybe... possibly... we could get some new infos. :sceptic:
Just a tiny bit? :oops:
That exessive usage of emojis should tell you that I'm not serious at all
I still think this will be one of the better games of 2018, regardless. If it has bugs at launch, it will only get better.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Sun, 11. Nov 18, 23:47

LittleBird wrote:
Sun, 11. Nov 18, 21:53
Even without the emojis it's unlikely. Games that get leaked are always big names like AC, Battlefield and the like. Half Life 2 had the worst run in this regard. X games get little attention compared to these titles.

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Mon, 12. Nov 18, 01:32

csaba wrote:
Tue, 30. Oct 18, 17:12
priestyy wrote:
Tue, 30. Oct 18, 17:06
csaba wrote:
Tue, 30. Oct 18, 16:59
https://youtu.be/XeYbb0hf10U

https://youtu.be/Hk4pPuC3GjA

https://youtu.be/Boxj2l5MkqY

I don't know why you need more. Most games don't have even this amount of info out before release.
All 3 of those videos are from 2017, kind of my point....
The game was mostly done at that point. You can see in the January video how that build had much better detailed ships in it. At that point they were probably just testing and polishing things.
Kane Hart wrote:
Tue, 30. Oct 18, 17:10

They keep putting screenshots out every dayish.
^This as well.
A screenshot of a ship...wow. You completely missed the point of the thread.

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Mon, 12. Nov 18, 02:41

Warnoise wrote:
Mon, 12. Nov 18, 01:32
I will agree with that sentiment. Screenshots are okay, no one can accuse them of showing nothing. However, they don't do much on their own. A video would be better.

And I said A video. Only asking for one, not 20. Just an updated video showing off some of the updated game.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Mon, 12. Nov 18, 18:03

Warnoise wrote:

Screen shot of a ship with fitting screen and stats...wow. Had to... sorry. :P

Okay it's a single example. However there is a lot of info hidden in some of the shots shown here but if your not satisfied with it than it's your choice. However calling it "no info" is wrong.

I should stop posting in this thread.. it never ends... I bet they put out a video and the next day we will get a "That's it?!" topic here....

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Mon, 12. Nov 18, 19:38

csaba wrote:
Mon, 12. Nov 18, 18:03
Warnoise wrote:

Screen shot of a ship with fitting screen and stats...wow. Had to... sorry. :P

Okay it's a single example. However there is a lot of info hidden in some of the shots shown here but if your not satisfied with it than it's your choice. However calling it "no info" is wrong.

I should stop posting in this thread.. it never ends... I bet they put out a video and the next day we will get a "That's it?!" topic here....
While this picture does provide us with more information (and I'm wholly glad for it), it raises more questions than answers.

For example, just for the "Crew" alone:
1. Is a ship's performance affected by crew at all? Is there a minimum complement required for basic effectiveness?
2. If you have less than maximum, will that reduce the ship's performance?
3. Can crew be killed by taking direct hull damage, similar to ship components in X3AP?
4. If we discover an abandoned capital ship, do we have to ferry standard crew to it, in addition to a command crew?
5. Is the crew simply treated as a "component" of the ship when it's being built/ordered, and they stay with it no matter what, or do they need to be rehired if lost (this ties into question 3)?
6. During boarding operations, do the enemy crew fight back, or is it just marines vs. marines like usual?
7. Should we board a ship, do the enemy crew capitulate and become ours, or do they pop into the cargo hold as a "commodity" that can be... ahem, "traded?"

Then there's the flare countermeasures, weapon sizes, cost of components, ships stats, UI, etc.
And that's just it: info is hidden, or left obscure. The forum is left to speculate and question more and more, leading to more questions than answers. Questions that will more likely dissuade someone from buying the game, rather than convince them. How would you pitch this game at the moment to someone who never played the X series before? What proof do you have that it stands apart from other space games?

Look at the forums. They're all questions. Questions that still haven't been answered since last year, and things have certainly changed in that time. They say they can't answer because things are subject to change. What could possibly be changed in 18 days?

And if they provide a video, yes, you may get the people who will say "That's it?" who are either being cheeky or actually want much more. However, most of the forum will take to discussing the video at length, and it will take up time.

And of course this thread never ends, because:

1. it hasn't erupted into a flame war or a bunch of children screaming, it's two groups discussing different opinions
2. The topic at hand still remains relevant. When they post a new video, the mods can happily delete this topic, and we will replace it with a more constructive conversation about whatever the devs released.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Mon, 12. Nov 18, 19:46

ZombiePotatoSalad wrote:
Mon, 12. Nov 18, 19:38

1. Is a ship's performance affected by crew at all? Is there a minimum complement required for basic effectiveness?
3. Can crew be killed by taking direct hull damage, similar to ship components in X3AP?
4. If we discover an abandoned capital ship, do we have to ferry standard crew to it, in addition to a command crew?
5. Is the crew simply treated as a "component" of the ship when it's being built/ordered, and they stay with it no matter what, or do they need to be rehired if lost (this ties into question 3)?
6. During boarding operations, do the enemy crew fight back, or is it just marines vs. marines like usual?
7. Should we board a ship, do the enemy crew capitulate and become ours, or do they pop into the cargo hold as a "commodity" that can be... ahem, "traded?"
That's a copy paste that had some answers if I recall correctly. You post this without the answers in a thread begging for info...

Here is one extra question added:

The shield generators have the PAR prefix. Does this mean that different factions have differently behaving equipment (e.g. dashing, steady and behemoth shields from XR) Can I fit a PAR shield on an Argon vessel?

I don't get how this is different from a video. They might just show this screen without ever touching upon your questions, talking about totally different stuff related to ship fitting.

Oh dear what did I just do....
Last edited by csaba on Mon, 12. Nov 18, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Mon, 12. Nov 18, 19:50

csaba wrote:
Mon, 12. Nov 18, 19:46
ZombiePotatoSalad wrote:
Mon, 12. Nov 18, 19:38

That's a copy paste that had some answers if I recall correctly. You post this without the answers in a thread begging for info...

Here is one extra question added added:

The shield generators have the PAR prefix. Does this mean that different faction have differently behaving equipment (e.g. dashing, steady and behemoth shields from XR) Can I fit a PAR shield on an Argon vessel?

Oh dear what did I just do....
Yes, I know. I was providing them as an example, I already got... some answers.

And there, see? More questions than answers. Also, what is PAR? I only saw that in the XRM mod.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Mon, 12. Nov 18, 19:52

Pretty sure it refers to Paranid as this is their ship and this is a ship purchase screen from a shipyard which is then also Paranid probably having their equipment laying about.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 12. Nov 18, 21:06

Woah! If you want to speculate and discuss about the screenshots then do it in the Screenshot of the Day Sticky where they are posted please.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Mon, 12. Nov 18, 23:47

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 12. Nov 18, 21:06
Woah! If you want to speculate and discuss about the screenshots then do it in the Screenshot of the Day Sticky where they are posted please.
Chill, just answered a question...

ZombiePotatoSalad wrote:
Mon, 12. Nov 18, 19:50

And there, see? More questions than answers.
Would be the same with a video. X is not exactly a 1 trick pony seeing a thrown away tissue by a Split NPC could mean a dozen different things. Did a member of his family rammed somebody and die? Did he lose in a duel? Did he just have the best roasted spacefly with Sunflower cream in his life? Does he just miss beating up some Borons?

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Tue, 13. Nov 18, 00:20

csaba wrote:
Mon, 12. Nov 18, 23:47
Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 12. Nov 18, 21:06
Chill, just answered a question...

ZombiePotatoSalad wrote:
Mon, 12. Nov 18, 19:50

And there, see? More questions than answers.
Would be the same with a video. X is not exactly a 1 trick pony seeing a thrown away tissue by a Split NPC could mean a dozen different things. Did a member of his family rammed somebody and die? Did he lose in a duel? Did he just have the best roasted spacefly with Sunflower cream in his life? Does he just miss beating up some Borons?
But it would be something else to discuss, something new we haven't seen. It would be in motion as well.
Also, it would probably spawn a lot of posts about a backstory, which would be pretty amusing.

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Tue, 13. Nov 18, 00:30

Also, it seems like history is repeating. From the X Rebirth TVTropes page:

Why Fandom Can't Have Nice Things: The aforementioned CBJ calls fans out on the endless whining about there being very little news from Egosoft about X Rebirth for about a year and a half. When they were posting a screenshot a week, people started demanding more info and videos, at which point ES basically said "screw this."
shea: But i still cant understand why a few screenshots every week cant be posted,
CBJ: The irony of this is that when we were posting weekly screenshots, people were complaining that it wasn't enough and demanded videos. When we provided a video they demanded gameplay information. The reality is that no matter what we provide, people will always want more, and this thread will run on regardless, with those people who are inclined to do so getting irate and impatient. Again, we know people want more information, but despite what some of those may people think, doing what they want isn't always the right course of action when the bigger picture is taken into account.

A year and a half of silence. The devs telling the players to "trust in me."
It can be noted that they seem to be creating their own problem, regardless of a "bigger picture." While this method of withholding information until near release would have worked 10 years ago, the gaming climate has changed. Players are more careful with what they spend their money on. "Just wait" doesn't always work. Some people don't have the spare money to drop on a game, and when they do get extra money, it's often only available for a limited time. They may not get more money to spare until the middle of the next year, during which time they may be completely dissuaded from buying the game by word of mouth, being unable to try it themselves. And look at what happened with Rebirth: even today, many people won't touch it. The lack of information did not help.

Now they're posting screenshots, which are great. They promote some discussion, but tend to raise even more questions, which continue to go unanswered. Screenshots were posted of No Man's Sky as well. People are more careful with what they can spend, and often even the slightest whisper of a bug will dissuade them. Even some posts on here are "bug free or unplayable." I have more realistic expectations. I fully expect there to be bugs. No game is perfect at launch, and that's alright with me. I'd just like to still see I'm getting what I've been sold on.

A more humorous trope:
Ask a Stupid Question...: Meta-example. Somebody on the forum's release date thread (a.k.a. the endless-complaining-about-lack-of-information thread) jokingly asks Egosoft to come in and confirm they're not dead. Cue a dozen or so devs coming onto the boards and posting "I'm still alive." Gave the community something else to talk about for a while, at least...

Return to “X4: Foundations”