Crowdfunding and X Series

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Matais
x4

Crowdfunding and X Series

Post by Matais » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 10:22

Please forgive for Google translator.

Guys. You have been doing one of the most wonderful series of games about space for almost 20 years. Thank you for this with all my heart. And therefore the question. Why don't you go kickstarter? Of course, you have enough finances to make the game. But wouldn’t additional funds help improve the quality of the game? Improve animation, detailing, effects? I am not good at GameDev, but it seems that an increase in project funding will not contribute to an increase in quality and, in general, to draw attention to the game? Recall at least the success of Star Citizen (eternal alpha) or Elite Dangerous (stagnation last 2 years). I repeat, I love the X series and just want you to have everything well and develop. Good luck to you guys, and all the best to you;)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Crowdfunding and X Series

Post by CBJ » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 11:40

Crowdfunding can be great, but it also comes at a price. Part of that price is that, in order for the funding method to be successful, you have to put a fairly serious amount of time and money into maintaining really good communications with those funding you. Not doing so pretty much guarantees failure, but doing so means either increasing the size of the team, or alternatively slowing down the project, both of which cost money. That's fine if the crowdfunded amount is big enough to fund both the development and the extra communications costs, but that's by no means guaranteed. Note that, ironically, it also means that the people doing the funding get less actual game for their money, because some of it has to be spent on telling them how the project is going!

Another potential cost is the relatively high failure rate of crowdfunded projects. This can be self-inflicted; if you don't communicate, for example, then people, understandably, get upset. But it can also happen for reasons outside your control. People funding the project and taking part in the discussions can get upset for example, because they don't like how long it's taking (regardless of whether that's actually reasonable) or because they don't the direction the project is taking (even if it's a direction that appeals to a lot of other players). This can snowball, taking the project down with it, or alternatively it can result in changes being made to the project to satisfy those with the loudest voices, which then harm the resulting game's appeal to a wider audience and hence its overall success. It can even result in the project getting out of hand, with the scope growing beyond what can actually be achieved.

These are just examples of the pitfalls that people don't think about when they suggest crowdfunding as the magic solution to how to best fund a game. So, yes, we have put serious consideration into the possibility, but at the moment we don't think it's the right direction for us to go. That doesn't mean it can't or won't ever happen in the future, however.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 15:55

Egosoft did not need it as far as I know. I'm not sure if they had enough reserves or needed take out loans either way not our business. That being said it would been a bit strange for asking for money even if it could help say with a couple extra asset creators, etc. You also have to think of time costs and training for new people to help. They seem to already have a decent set of people working for them so I can't see a need for programmer, etc or CBJ would be instead helping the person out rather then focus writing code.

Blizzard actually suffered from this a lot even said they spent so much time training new people I think it was after Wrath for the Cata expansion? But either way they spent so much time training they fell behind. Even now blizzard has gutted more in house stuff and gets a lot of third party model / asset work done.

Either way I think it would of given really bad impressions about Egosoft as well. There is quite a stigma from it even though clearly a lot of people support a certain game there is a lot of hate too.

Drakuel
x4

Post by Drakuel » Wed, 24. Oct 18, 15:12

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 11:40
Crowdfunding can be great, but it also comes at a price. Part of that price is that, in order for the funding method to be successful, you have to put a fairly serious amount of time and money into maintaining really good communications with those funding you. Not doing so pretty much guarantees failure, but doing so means either increasing the size of the team, or alternatively slowing down the project, both of which cost money. That's fine if the crowdfunded amount is big enough to fund both the development and the extra communications costs, but that's by no means guaranteed. Note that, ironically, it also means that the people doing the funding get less actual game for their money, because some of it has to be spent on telling them how the project is going!

Another potential cost is the relatively high failure rate of crowdfunded projects. This can be self-inflicted; if you don't communicate, for example, then people, understandably, get upset. But it can also happen for reasons outside your control. People funding the project and taking part in the discussions can get upset for example, because they don't like how long it's taking (regardless of whether that's actually reasonable) or because they don't the direction the project is taking (even if it's a direction that appeals to a lot of other players). This can snowball, taking the project down with it, or alternatively it can result in changes being made to the project to satisfy those with the loudest voices, which then harm the resulting game's appeal to a wider audience and hence its overall success. It can even result in the project getting out of hand, with the scope growing beyond what can actually be achieved.

These are just examples of the pitfalls that people don't think about when they suggest crowdfunding as the magic solution to how to best fund a game. So, yes, we have put serious consideration into the possibility, but at the moment we don't think it's the right direction for us to go. That doesn't mean it can't or won't ever happen in the future, however.
Boy isn't that the truth.... Crowdfunding is risky, could even take your already established brand down, if not properly handled right...

I like there is a option of crowdfunding for unknown or upcoming developers, just not sure if already established houses like yours need or should use this tool is it worth the risk against already established development cycle and processes you proven work for you.

Harag
x4

Post by Harag » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 10:31

I've backed a couple of games via kickstarter in the past and think for new firms / ideas it's great to support these companies. However Egosoft have been going for a long time and I've loved everyone of their X games since X-BTF, yes even rebirth. They seem to have a good solid team and no need to get extra funds - they do it for the love of it, not for the money.

All I can hope for is that hey NEVER make a multiplayer game. Keep up the good work guys - Looking forward to the end of Nov!

Return to “X4: Foundations”