Releasing on GOG?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Doomdog19
x3tc

Releasing on GOG?

Post by Doomdog19 » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 07:13

Hello,

Just checking in again to see if the game will release on GOG this year? My dad noticed that it seems like we can only purchase from Steam. I don't want to buy the game twice just to play it DRM free. Are there plans to release it on GOG this year? I don't mind not playing at the end of November if it's coming to GOG soon.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Releasing on GOG?

Post by CBJ » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 09:27

We have no immediate plans to release the game on GoG. That doesn't mean that it might not happen at some point, just that it's very unlikely to be at the same time as the release on Steam, and fairly unlikely to be within the first few months afterwards. None of this is set in stone, and the situation could change, but that is the picture as it currently stands.

Doomdog19
x3tc

Post by Doomdog19 » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 10:33

Alright. Thank you.

lionroot
x4

Post by lionroot » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:44

Really sad to hear this new, I wish to fully support ego but I don't like to be obliged to use steam.

Well seems we will wait until gog release.

Solflame
x4

Post by Solflame » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:57

You can always buy direct from Egosoft.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:58

Solflame wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:57
You can always buy direct from Egosoft.
That is still a Steam version though. ;)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Solflame
x4

Post by Solflame » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:59

Huh. I can't remember, did Rebirth have a NoSteam.exe? I know it was linked in to the Steam Workshop.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 18:07

A NoSteam for XR was first made available a year or so after the game's release, which was, not coincidentally, about the same time that XR was released on GoG.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 18:09

I saw a lot of people talk about the dislike of steam. There is a lot of moral reasons why one would not use steam I'm a bit surprised at GOG not coming out right away but I have a feeling there is more to this reasoning then simply supporting another platform.

GOG is awesome and very supportive and I doubt eats as much profit as steam does.

I prefer steam but I would of enjoyed support on GOG for those who would use it...

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 20:00

lionroot wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:44
Really sad to hear this new, I wish to fully support ego but I don't like to be obliged to use steam.

Well seems we will wait until gog release.
Yeah.

Anyone else waiting for the game to come out without Steam, please don't give in and buy it twice. Not saying that is what's happening here, but it's an unfortunate sleazy trend for developers to double dip by publicly parading around the "no plans to release" line to make people cave and buy it on Steam, then release it down the line for people to buy again if they want to buy on GOG/a DRM-free version.

If they can make you wait for the release you want, you can make them wait for your money. X games tend to be buggy on launch anyway.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 21:12

Kane Hart wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 18:09
GOG is awesome and very supportive and I doubt eats as much profit as steam does.
I keep seeing this but I do not know if this is true or not. Do you?
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Combat Wombat
x4

Post by Combat Wombat » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 21:31

Why don't people petition for Egosoft to just not have DRM on their Steam release like other developers have done? They are gonna release a no-steam patch anyways like they have for the other games. Asking for one specific store makes no sense.
You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 21:50

Slashman wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 21:12
Kane Hart wrote:
I keep seeing this but I do not know if this is true or not. Do you?
From what I've heard (not a reliable source), there's not a lot of difference in markup, and one may be higher in some cases and lower in others. I'm strongly in favor of a GOG release, and haven't bought several major titles (which would have been instant purchases otherwise) purely because of their Steam-only availability. That includes several Paradox and Bethesda games which have been out for several years but I have yet to play. For me, a Steam game might as well not exist. The one thing that I find particularly offensive is that most of their contracted game developers will actively remove any post with a Steam issue, and in at least a couple of cases, warns or bans the poster just for mentioning a problem. One prominent forum I used frequently until a year ago would move any Steam-related post to a subforum in the General section where it was difficult to find. I don't know what kind of deal Egosoft has with them, but it's far more lenient than most.

Unfortunately, Amazon's games are also Steam keys, so that does me no good either.
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Wed, 3. Oct 18, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: activated BBCode

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 22:00

Combat Wombat wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 21:31
Why don't people petition for Egosoft to just not have DRM on their Steam release like other developers have done? They are gonna release a no-steam patch anyways like they have for the other games. Asking for one specific store makes no sense.
Absolutely makes sense if you don't do business with Valve/Steam.

Besides, "DRM-free" on Steam still doesn't allow you to download a convenient archive and installer like traditional/physical media would be. Yes, I'm aware people can dig up the files and archive them somewhere out of Steam's folders (assuming the game will work without any install procedure) but it's not exactly the most pleasant experience.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 22:18

Let's stay off the topic of DRM please. This forum has been here for 15 years, and there hasn't been a single thread on that topic that hasn't ended up with someone advocating illegal activities or incriminating themselves if the discussion is left to its own devices.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 02:05

Either way I don't think you guys will see GOG at release sorry. Times have not quite changed here yet but they are getting better. At least we don't get modified on our saves :P

kszalocz

Post by kszalocz » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 21:40

I'm sad, but I will wait for the GoG release. I own X3 there and I want X4 there too.

Sahvion
x3tc

Post by Sahvion » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 04:24

Kane Hart wrote:
Actually, the general consensus is that both Gog and Steam take 30% of the profit from the sold game while the remainder goes toward the developers. Both companies tend to keep their reigns on this information (which is not surprising, since they don't want their competitors to know otherwise they could get undercut), humblebundle is the only one that is actually open in the amount they take, which is only 5%.

However, I would be against Gog getting a release, largely because of how their CEO has acted and ridiculed those who use Steam (I won't repeat what he said, but it wasn't very good and has caused Gog to lose sales and harmed their rep) and thus I won't support any companies whose CEO is going to outright attack their customers (as I used to buy from them) or potential, future, customers.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 10:08

The OP's question was answered by CBJ and we are getting way off any X4 topic here - so … <click>
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

XenonSurf
x2

Please make X4 available to buy on GOG

Post by XenonSurf » Mon, 5. Nov 18, 21:58

Dear Egosoft Team,
congratulation for your long work on X4 Foundation. Being an old fan of your series, I will surely play your new title but I would be very pleased to buy it on GOG which guarantees high quality handling for games and player support.

I will not consider to buy any high-moddable games (like yours) on Steam because of possible interface interferences that make them prone to crashes or malfunctions wheras the game would otherwise run fine. This is however NOT a downgrade in any way for Steam, so please don't mis-read this.

Thanks very much :)

Return to “X4: Foundations”