X4: FOUNDATIONS - Release date, prices and more

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cranium1
x4

Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS - Release date, prices and more

Post by cranium1 » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 15:49

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 7. Oct 18, 15:43
@ cranium1: That possibility is still under discussion between Egosoft and DeepSilver (a physical product usually has to have a publisher whilst a digital product can be self-published).
Thanks for the quick reply! Just pre-ordered the collector's edition. I am fine with digital only for now but I do love stuff to put on my shelf! :D

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 22:56

cranium1 wrote:
Sun, 7. Oct 18, 15:49
Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 7. Oct 18, 15:43
@ cranium1: That possibility is still under discussion between Egosoft and DeepSilver (a physical product usually has to have a publisher whilst a digital product can be self-published).
Thanks for the quick reply! Just pre-ordered the collector's edition. I am fine with digital only for now but I do love stuff to put on my shelf! :D
And a giant universe map to put aside my desk :D
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 02:18

DannyDSC wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 15:35
Cyres wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 15:31
DannyDSC wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 15:29
I can't find the physical edition of the collector.

It's only digital???
CBJ wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 14:49
we do not yet have a final agreement with DeepSilver regarding a boxed version.
NO.....very sad news...I think I'll wait
Same! I really loved the physical collectors edition of X-Rebirth which also came with a X novel book. If you guys announce a physical X4 collectors I'll be happy to pay a larger amount. Love my boxsets and X is one of the few series I'm willing to pay more $$ for a fancy collectors box edition.

I'm happy to see there's an English version of the second X book now! I really enjoyed the first one as was sad to discover the sequels had no translations.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

DannyDSC
x4

Post by DannyDSC » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 08:42

Blake00 wrote:
Mon, 8. Oct 18, 02:18
DannyDSC wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 15:35
Cyres wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 15:31

NO.....very sad news...I think I'll wait
Same! I really loved the physical collectors edition of X-Rebirth which also came with a X novel book. If you guys announce a physical X4 collectors I'll be happy to pay a larger amount. Love my boxsets and X is one of the few series I'm willing to pay more $$ for a fancy collectors box edition.

I'm happy to see there's an English version of the second X book now! I really enjoyed the first one as was sad to discover the sequels had no translations.
Ehhhh...totally agree with you.

Also, this image is...a little misleading.

The Indie Seeker - The Twitter Channel for your indiegames!

Ex Egosoft Translator/Currently writer for www.ilvideogioco.com

@IlVideogiococom is the ONLY italian website that offers full coverage to ALL #indiegames! Are you an #indiedev?
Feel free to follow and contact us on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram!

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 13:59

The image is not misleading. Every single Steam game that does a digital-only collectors edition does the exact same thing with a picture of that nature. Why? I'm not sure, but I suppose it is the easiest way to represent what you are going to get.

People using Steam should know full well that it is a digital platform and it is really very clear that what you are going to get is digital content. I don't think there's any need to call foul play here, or to complain that you aren't getting a physical copy when it states in several places all over Steam and the X4 CE page that it is all digital-only downloads.
Admiral of the Fleet.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 19:27

Vandragorax wrote:
Mon, 8. Oct 18, 13:59
The image is not misleading. ..
It has always been a misleading marketing ploy. Always. That Steam is a digital distribution platform does not mean they don't do physical distributions. I have a bunch of Steam gadgets sitting not five feet from me, ordered right off of Steam itself. :) So, since I know they are capable of actually having physical items shipped, seeing a picture of a box and a booklet and what appear to be actual physical things leads me to believe, if I wasn't savvy-in-the-ways-of-Steam, that this may actually be physical copies. Of course, then I have to read the fine print, but by that time I've just finished reading the marketing push for all these bonus materials, so I'm much more likely to click "Order" for them, now. :)

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 20:04

Vandragorax wrote:
The image is not misleading.
I'm not saying it's an evil ploy. But showing a image of physical boxes for a digital product is definitely misleading. It being common practice does not negate this fact.

Cannot imagine anyone getting upset about it and the text clearly states it. The image however is definitely misleading.
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 20:52

Well that begs the question, just how would you represent the contents of the digital collectors edition in a single picture?
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

ishmaeltheforsaken
x4

Post by ishmaeltheforsaken » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 21:26

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:
Mon, 8. Oct 18, 20:52
Well that begs the question, just how would you represent the contents of the digital collectors edition in a single picture?
Designers of GUI operating systems had the same kind of question: how do you visually represent the various digital entities in storage in a way that's easy for a user to understand? They settled on the desktop metaphor, representing categories as folders and items as files, trusting that a user would know from context that these are just symbols and that they shouldn't actually crack open their PCs looking for pieces of paper like Derek Zoolander.

Maybe something similar could work for digital games? Maybe show a digitally created image of a game box, since that's an instantly recognizable symbol, and trust that most users aren't male models? Huh, this ended up in a weird place.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 21:43

I think that if you take a closer look at the image then you will realise that this is just a mock up. Its just a bit of artwork. Actually creating a box with X4 on it would have cost money. This looks to me like a picture created in house.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 22:09

ishmaeltheforsaken wrote:
Mon, 8. Oct 18, 21:26
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:
Designers of GUI operating systems had the same kind of question: how do you visually represent the various digital entities in storage in a way that's easy for a user to understand? They settled on the desktop metaphor, representing categories as folders and items as files, trusting that a user would know from context that these are just symbols and that they shouldn't actually crack open their PCs looking for pieces of paper like Derek Zoolander.

Maybe something similar could work for digital games? Maybe show a digitally created image of a game box, since that's an instantly recognizable symbol, and trust that most users aren't male models? Huh, this ended up in a weird place.
I like the way it is. Not everyone Is so digitally picky as are the designers of GUI OS...
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 22:20

And today, artworks seem like real things… how to see a maked-up background in a movie when it seems so real at the look? It's question of text now. If you say "digital" then it is. :gruebel:
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

TrueSanity
x4

Post by TrueSanity » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 00:43

DannyDSC wrote:
Mon, 8. Oct 18, 08:42

Also, this image is...a little misleading.

Why? Did you think they were actually floating in outer space?

DannyDSC
x4

Post by DannyDSC » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 08:49

Vandragorax wrote:
The image is not misleading. Every single Steam game that does a digital-only collectors edition does the exact same thing with a picture of that nature. Why? I'm not sure, but I suppose it is the easiest way to represent what you are going to get.

People using Steam should know full well that it is a digital platform and it is really very clear that what you are going to get is digital content. I don't think there's any need to call foul play here, or to complain that you aren't getting a physical copy when it states in several places all over Steam and the X4 CE page that it is all digital-only downloads.
nemesis1982 wrote:
Mon, 8. Oct 18, 20:04
Vandragorax wrote:
The image is not misleading.
I'm not saying it's an evil ploy. But showing a image of physical boxes for a digital product is definitely misleading. It being common practice does not negate this fact.

Cannot imagine anyone getting upset about it and the text clearly states it. The image however is definitely misleading.
Nemesis have has already replied for me.
The Indie Seeker - The Twitter Channel for your indiegames!

Ex Egosoft Translator/Currently writer for www.ilvideogioco.com

@IlVideogiococom is the ONLY italian website that offers full coverage to ALL #indiegames! Are you an #indiedev?
Feel free to follow and contact us on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram!

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 11:38

ishmaeltheforsaken wrote:
Mon, 8. Oct 18, 21:26
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:

Precisely. There is no better way to depict digital items than a visual representation of what they might look like if they were real. A book, a game box, etc. Does anyone who goes on Netflix.com and pays for a subscription honestly expect that they will receive real boxed discs of movies? Or is the context of the site and the fact that it clearly states it's digital in multiple places counted as enough of a "clue"?

Sometimes it feels like I'm taking crazy pills :D
Admiral of the Fleet.

Maddog Slayer
x4

Post by Maddog Slayer » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 16:04

Would like to be able to preorder the physical game but this option is not offered.Why?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 16:10

@ Maddog Slayer: As stated a few times already on the previous page or so of this thread, the discussions between Egosoft and DeepSilver about the feasibility, publishing and distribution for a physical copy of X4 CE (and maybe basic too) have not been completed. (You usually will need a publisher for physical media even when you are able to self-publish digital download items.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 17:02

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 9. Oct 18, 16:10
@ Maddog Slayer: As stated a few times already on the previous page or so of this thread, the discussions between Egosoft and DeepSilver about the feasibility, publishing and distribution for a physical copy of X4 CE (and maybe basic too) have not been completed. (You usually will need a publisher for physical media even when you are able to self-publish digital download items.)
I'm sure you guys have got this, but if you need lots of crazy fans to annoy DeepSilver customer service with requests for a X4 physical. Let us know! :D :P

That picture of the digital collectors just has me drooling for a physical one to go with my lovely X-Rebirth collectors set. :)
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 17:24

Whilst that is reassuring in principle, the 'crazy fans' might be interested in what 'crazy prices' the publisher may require.

There is little or no hard linkage in such situations between physical and download sales, costs and end-user prices. Furthermore, in my personal opinion, the physical media contribution will always be considered as a relatively small percentage of the total potential sales but with far higher production and distribution costs than the rest; it could thus need to be far more expensive per unit to meet the publisher overheads involved even before considering all parties' profit margins.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Ryzer
x4

Post by Ryzer » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 18:09

The Portuguese community is gigantic, there will be a translation for portuguese?

Return to “X4: Foundations”