Highways = I wont be playing

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 12:06

we won't miss you if you don't.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 12:17

I dislike when people's reasoning goes along the lines of: "Highways in XR were awful, therefore if they add highways into any future X game it will also be awful".

There is such a thing as hindsight, and the possibility to change a feature. That's what a new game is good for... iteration and innovation.

Egosoft have CLEARLY stated that they also were not happy with how highways were received in XR, and are changing the way highways function for X4. We can only wait and see but hopefully this iteration will be more acceptable and interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Personally I didn't think the highways in XR were the spawn of the devil, like some do, but I do think they had a lot of areas for potential improvement, which is exactly what I am expecting to see in X4. I am glad to see them try to improve the highways (as they are doing) instead of throwing them out of the window just because people don't think they worked well in XR, which is the first time they tried such a concept.
Admiral of the Fleet.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 13:54

Highways only have to be bidirectional and the tubes be invisible from greater distances, repeaters look much less ugly as far distance position markers.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 13:59

Vandragorax wrote:I dislike when people's reasoning goes along the lines of: "Highways in XR were awful, therefore if they add highways into any future X game it will also be awful".

There is such a thing as hindsight, and the possibility to change a feature. That's what a new game is good for... iteration and innovation.

Egosoft have CLEARLY stated that they also were not happy with how highways were received in XR, and are changing the way highways function for X4. We can only wait and see but hopefully this iteration will be more acceptable and interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Personally I didn't think the highways in XR were the spawn of the devil, like some do, but I do think they had a lot of areas for potential improvement, which is exactly what I am expecting to see in X4. I am glad to see them try to improve the highways (as they are doing) instead of throwing them out of the window just because people don't think they worked well in XR, which is the first time they tried such a concept.

Personally, I'd like to discover a section of space and make it my own territory and be able to build my own Highway to connect it to the other zones.
That would be interesting, to find an area of space you haven't explored in a while and found new Highways are built connecting to new areas of space.
Maintains Exploration for a little bit longer when new regions pop up.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 13:08

spankahontis wrote:
Personally, I'd like to discover a section of space and make it my own territory and be able to build my own Highway to connect it to the other zones.
That would be interesting, to find an area of space you haven't explored in a while and found new Highways are built connecting to new areas of space.

I believe, from what has been revealed so far, that there will still be an aspect of discovery in X4 because the highways will only be used now to travel through major arteries of space. As soon as you want to go "off the beaten track" you will break away from highway travel and there will be a need for exploration, using radars/satellites and visual elements to explore and find new things.

I doubt we will be able to build our own highways, which could be kind of interesting but not sure how much I'd actually want to use such a feature. It's nice, though, that we will have an option to construct a station either close to a highway and civilised areas, or far away from highways in the middle of 'deep space' thus giving us the option of a more out-of-the-way base location if desired.

I don't believe that 'claiming' space has been mentioned so far from Egosoft, although now that stations will be fully destroyable it's clearly possible to wipe out a faction from an already established place and take it over outselves should we have the desire and firepower to do so. The only thing I recall hearing about 'claming' space has been that building plots will be cheaper further into deep-space, and more expensive closer to already populated areas.
Admiral of the Fleet.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 19:08

Vandragorax wrote:
I don't believe that 'claiming' space has been mentioned so far from Egosoft, although now that stations will be fully destroyable it's clearly possible to wipe out a faction from an already established place and take it over outselves should we have the desire and firepower to do so. The only thing I recall hearing about 'claming' space has been that building plots will be cheaper further into deep-space, and more expensive closer to already populated areas.
They said in a stream that they don't plan on addig sector take-over in the classic sense (which never happened officially but through scripts). The plot system will be defining your presence in a system.

I'm afraid that eradicating an entire race will be up for modders once again.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 14:37

Vandragorax wrote:
spankahontis wrote:

I believe, from what has been revealed so far, that there will still be an aspect of discovery in X4 because the highways will only be used now to travel through major arteries of space. As soon as you want to go "off the beaten track" you will break away from highway travel and there will be a need for exploration, using radars/satellites and visual elements to explore and find new things.

I doubt we will be able to build our own highways, which could be kind of interesting but not sure how much I'd actually want to use such a feature. It's nice, though, that we will have an option to construct a station either close to a highway and civilised areas, or far away from highways in the middle of 'deep space' thus giving us the option of a more out-of-the-way base location if desired.

I know in a sense you can't CWIR the Sector/Zone; or eradicate a Faction.
Which I would love to see.. They could at least give us an option/tickbox before you start a New Game that allows for Eliminating Factions.

Make it optional, some people might not want to conquer space in a military sense, but many of us do, why CWIR and WWX is among the most popular mods to download.

They're thinking on a "Keep the Game Functional" sense.
But they should at least make it optional for us.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 14:49

I hope the ai building up empires is optional as dunno if id like it as im not one for fleet building late game also dont fancy hard competition. X games is usually nice and easy going unless you start the trouble, which i like.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 19:40

That's the usual way of things, though - the base game establishes the borders and alliances and defines how the economy works, but places the factions in a more or less stable configuration. Then the modders get their hands on it and come up with things like RRF, Mayhem, and CWIR for those who want some monkey wrenches thrown into their universe. So the folks who want a relatively chill game get what they want (vanilla), and those who want galactic war can have their game too.

Honestly, that's probably going to be the way it goes with the highways. Base game will have them, then the modders will remove them for the folks that don't like them. And maybe even add more of them for the folks that DO like them, I dunno. ^^
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Grambambuli
x2

Post by Grambambuli » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 09:27

Ok, bye.

JonRedcorn862
x3ap

Post by JonRedcorn862 » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 23:34

lol dude makes a concern troll topic and then never even posts in it again. Should lock this thread or delete it. Total crap. Good riddance.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 00:12

My problem with Highways in XR was the green/blue lines criss crossing all over space. and the stupid tailgating mini game.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 00:50

DaMuncha wrote:My problem with Highways in XR was the green/blue lines criss crossing all over space. and the stupid tailgating mini game.
These two things were also my main annoyance with highways.

I wonder if there is a dev answer, as to whether in highways, all ships have the same highway speed, or whether different ships have different highway speeds? I would personally prefer that all ships in a highway have the same velocity, so as to never have to deal again with the hated highway tailgating issue. I get enough annoyance with that phenomenon in my daily commute, I would rather be without it in a game!

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 01:28

Highways to me made the game small but also they made exploration in a sense boring. I'm sure that is mostly me but I was not a fan of them in Rebirth.

Solflame
x4

Post by Solflame » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 01:44

The big thing it looks like is that in X4 they are more for passing through civilized sectors: if you want to go to stations in those sectors and go out and around, you can't really use the highways to get around.

I really liked the Toride system in XR simply because it had absolutely no highways, but it definitely made it a pain to transit through.

The other big thing that would help is if highways were in general bigger in diameter so that there was room for AI and players to do some basic evasion. Tubes are too tight in Rebirth. Combine that with a nicer visual effect that doesn't stand out as much, they'd probably be really usefull

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 12:53

Solflame wrote: I really liked the Toride system in XR simply because it had absolutely no highways, but it definitely made it a pain to transit through.
This highlights the problem with highways:

If you have highways and no means to go fast and navigate outside of them, then sectors without highways are a PiTA.

If you have a means to go fast and navigate those sectors, then highways become irrelevant.

Solflame
x4

Post by Solflame » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 13:53

The thing is, Highways allow for large explorable sectors and proper large-scale space combat, as long as the highways don't get you everywhere you need to go. Before all we had was either sectors that were basically just a small area which could be crossed relatively quickly, or those freaking huge Terran or Aldrin sectors people hated.

Remember, the sectors in X-Rebirth were usually BIGGER than Terran/Aldrin sectors in X3. X4 sectors might be a bit smaller but I bet they're still pretty damn large. By having highways that transit you between gates (which is how it looks) you can quickly "pass through" an area, whereas stations might be built way away from the highway to be closer to resources. Of course, if you can get right next to the highway you can get lots of customers, but the cost for building there will be high...

Besides, we have travel drive, which is much more efficient than boosting and will help us get where we need to go, plus SETA which is always nice.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 16:47

Solflame wrote:By having highways that transit you between gates (which is how it looks) you can quickly "pass through" an area, whereas stations might be built way away from the highway to be closer to resources. Of course, if you can get right next to the highway you can get lots of customers, but the cost for building there will be high...
This is put very nicely and I agree this is how highways will look in X4, from all we've seen so far. They are a means to travel through an area more quickly than other means, but there will still be a LOT of incentives to travel 'off the beaten path' at it were!

Certainly highways won't be the same as in X:R, where they would connect every zone and groups of stations.
Admiral of the Fleet.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 16:50

Solflame wrote:Of course, if you can get right next to the highway you can get lots of customers, but the cost for building there will be high...
Why would it be high? There's more than enough room to build 1000 stations within spitting distance of the highways, so there should be almost no "real estate" cost no matter you built it. Price is a function of supply and demand, and there's an almost limitless supply of space near the highways, and essentially infinite at greater distances.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 20:32

I think i recall seeing somthing about how building a station in different areas would cost varried amounts, since its not exactly "your" territory, at least...not yet. Thus I assume youd have to pay some kind of fee, kindof like EVE online, build anywhere in High Security space and you pay taxes and fee's, build in low sec and your paying much MUCH less, and build in Null sec, and there is zero tax and Zero fee

Somthing about building far away from areas costing much less, but also being at higher risk for attack of pirates, or just being attacked by other factions as you encroach on their territory.

Return to “X4: Foundations”