Bunch of technical questions related to weapons/shields

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 16:13

I'd like a system where a ship can carry missiles in its cargo bay, but in order to fire missiles they must be loaded into the ship's missile launcher. This loading process could only occur while the ship is docked.

This would allow ships to transport missiles for trading and logistics, but their combat capabilities can be balanced by limiting in the number of missiles they can have loaded at a time. It would also give purpose to assigning fighters to carriers or stations. Fighters would be most effective and efficient if they're based at a ship or station that can keep them rearmed.
Last edited by A5PECT on Fri, 27. Jul 18, 01:41, edited 9 times in total.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 16:20

One more question - has anything clarified regarding boarding mechanics?
- will we use boadring pods like in X-Rebirth or something else (e.g. dedicated marine dropship)?
- will NPCs like pirated be able to board ships? IF yes what about situation when player ship is a target of boarding. I assume ugly scenario where we won't or we will see the scripted marine fights in ship interior. Both will be bad, one from immersion, the other from visual point of view :)

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 6. Aug 18, 23:06

Honestly I'm kind of a fan of the shift away from missiles-as-a-ware. They occupied kind of a weird place in the supply chain as a ware, and fighter-sized ships have been able to field WAAAAAAAY too many missiles since forever. Same with transport ships. The missile type limitations from X3 kind of helped, but a bazillion hurricane missiles can still cause mischief.

Now, fighters rearming at their mothership would definitely be a positive. Would make sense if motherships carried a ware, or set of wares, that could assemble missiles and arm fighters/bombers with them on the fly. If it's not a core feature, I suspect that'll be on deck for the modders to tackle pretty quickly. ^^
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Crellion
x3tc

Post by Crellion » Wed, 8. Aug 18, 12:29

CBJ wrote:Missiles cannot be loaded into the cargo bay.
Yeah that sounds like a mistake right now CBJ. Maybe in the way it will be implemented it will be a good fit but seems very unlikely. For obvious logistics reasons.

If you are simply looking to stop 'rearm in space' for smaller ships you can make it so sub capitals can only move missiles from cargo to missile bay when docked at station or inside a capital.

Otherwise you are killing a bunch of gameplay options (like looting early game) and creating logistical nightmares for later on.

Hoping your ideas when implemented will prove me a fool :)

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 00:21

So, no missile trading then? What if I want to relocate them from where they’re produced to a dock/shop/other station, to rearm ships from there? Please consider adding an option of transporting missiles “in bulk” in cargo space, maybe in “inactive” form as a ware?

Thurgret
xr

Post by Thurgret » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 01:52

I like the idea of missiles having dedicated bays, assuming they can be carried in cargo bays and loaded into the bays on larger ships/stations.

Return to “X4: Foundations”