DLC, will Egosoft return to the dark days of Rebirth?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DLC, do you want it,yes, no or maybe?

Yes, I would love DLC
53%
NO, I hate DLC
17%
Maybe? The middleground seems nice
30%

Total votes: 81

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 10. Jun 18, 15:56

blotunga wrote:DLCs just make me wait longer for the "Complete" version of any game. I have nothing against them, except that I avoid most games until I'm fairly sure no more DLCs are coming.
It's true, I tend to not purchase games I am interested in when I feel that the devs are just going to keep milking me for money for all the DLCs. As a prime example, Civ 5. I was greatly interested in it at the start, but I waited for years and years until purchasing it, because I wanted to get it only after they were done making all the DLCs, and it went on sale for the base game plus all DLCs for a reasonable price. Or Stellaris, a game that looks very interesting to me, but I will not get it right now until I sense they are all done with the DLC nonsense and offer a complete package with all the relevant DLC

A couple major DLC are fine, but when I see a page full of minor DLCs for a game, it is a real turnoff. I hate feeling like I am buying some bare-bones, neutered version of a game if I am just buying the base version without the DLC, and if the base game plus DLC is too expensive, then I either write the game off entirely, or wait for it to be a bargain bin price in a Steam sale.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 10. Jun 18, 16:15

Falcrack wrote: As a prime example, Civ 5. I was greatly interested in it at the start, but I waited for years and years until purchasing it, because I wanted to get it only after they were done making all the DLCs, and it went on sale for the base game plus all DLCs for a reasonable price. Or Stellaris, a game that looks very interesting to me, but I will not get it right now until I sense they are all done with the DLC nonsense and offer a complete package with all the relevant DLC
This only works for you as long as you are a minority. If this was something everyone else would do, you would not get "all the DLC" months later or expansions, or even new iterations of that game. This only works because a good amount of people buy games at full price and at release, lets not kid ourselves here, no money == no games.

MFG

Ketraar

blotunga
xr

Post by blotunga » Mon, 11. Jun 18, 09:46

Falcrack wrote:
blotunga wrote:DLCs just make me wait longer for the "Complete" version of any game. I have nothing against them, except that I avoid most games until I'm fairly sure no more DLCs are coming.
It's true, I tend to not purchase games I am interested in when I feel that the devs are just going to keep milking me for money for all the DLCs. As a prime example, Civ 5. I was greatly interested in it at the start, but I waited for years and years until purchasing it, because I wanted to get it only after they were done making all the DLCs, and it went on sale for the base game plus all DLCs for a reasonable price. Or Stellaris, a game that looks very interesting to me, but I will not get it right now until I sense they are all done with the DLC nonsense and offer a complete package with all the relevant DLC

A couple major DLC are fine, but when I see a page full of minor DLCs for a game, it is a real turnoff. I hate feeling like I am buying some bare-bones, neutered version of a game if I am just buying the base version without the DLC, and if the base game plus DLC is too expensive, then I either write the game off entirely, or wait for it to be a bargain bin price in a Steam sale.
Civ 5 was the game that made me wait for the next in a series before buying a game. I bough Civ 5 Gold and then a couple of weeks later Brave new World and Civ 5 Complete comes out... Never again.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 12. Jun 18, 21:22

It will come down is how good the base game is. If it gets me hook, I'll throw all the money Egosoft want at them, be it in the form of DLC/Expack whatever, within reasonable limit of course, but that limit will be generous. Before someone draw up a comparison let's me say this does not reflect my general attitude toward all games. I generally stay away from bin and penny DLC, but this is one company that produce one game that I like, I don't mind paying a bit more and call it investment. Like the fruit, kinda have to nurture the tree, especially when there isn't that many of the same tree around.

Another way to look at it is if the original delivery is so good, you just want to give the developers a bonus. We always talk about how we don't get enough for our money, but have anyone ever thought if you get more for what you paid for? I did it with Warband, I never played anything else beside the Native's module and the mods for it, but I bought all the DLCs anyway despite not touching them. Because for the amount of enjoyment I got, I feel I didn't pay the developers enough money owning just the base game. ;)

But I will definitely NOT buying DLC/expack just to 'fix' the base game though. If what happened at the X:Rebirth release repeats itself here, then I will just adapt a more pragmatic approach of waiting until everything is bundled at a reduced price.

Return to “X4: Foundations”