Jumpdrives got me into X3, highways just dropped me off XR, and we're legion

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 15. May 18, 18:50

Honved wrote:This, of course, is irrelevant while the player is OOS, and the AI can take the shortest path regardless of obstacles.
Correct, though in principle the OOS simulation needs to apply a reduction to the maximum speed to compensate for this, to avoid everything moving from one place to another more quickly when the player isn't present than when they are. :)

As mentioned previously, highways will still be present in some parts of the X4 map, but will not be as prevalent as in XR. Faster travel in areas without highways will also be a little different, but I don't think we've made details of how that will work public yet.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Tue, 15. May 18, 18:55

CBJ wrote:As mentioned previously, highways will still be present in some parts of the X4 map, but will not be as prevalent as in XR. Faster travel in areas without highways will also be a little different, but I don't think we've made details of how that will work public yet.
More travel modes? I'm starting to think X4 already has too many...

Maneuver Drive, Boosting, Travel Drive, Local Highways, Super Highways, Trans-orbital Accelerators, Gates, and ???

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 15. May 18, 18:59

No, not more. You've got too many on that list as it is, and it includes the one I was thinking of so maybe it was mentioned at some point already. :)

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Tue, 15. May 18, 19:13

CBJ wrote:No, not more. You've got too many on that list as it is, and it includes the one I was thinking of so maybe it was mentioned at some point already. :)
???

By Maneuver Drive, I mean your normal flight mode (not boosting or whatever).

The December Update video mentions Boosting, Highways, and Travel Drive all at around the 11:00 mark.

Orbital Accelerator is shown at the 17:30 mark.

Gates have been mentioned and shown several times IIRC.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Tue, 15. May 18, 22:24

I think superhighways are probably replaced by TOAs, making them the odd one out CBJ is getting at?

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Tue, 15. May 18, 22:43

MegaJohnny wrote:I think superhighways are probably replaced by TOAs, making them the odd one out CBJ is getting at?
That makes sense... though I don't know how I feel about it. I think I prefer Super Highways over the Orbital Accelerators (unless this has changed). I need to watch the video again... but from what I could tell it looked like the OA instantly moved the ship from one side to the other. I really liked how Super Highways gave that sense of speed and distance that gates/TOA didn't.

I could see them dropping local highways if the travel drive could fulfill the same purpose.... On the other hand, having lots of ships fly towards each other at extreme speeds seems like a good way to have lots of crashes. Single direction highways may still be the best design for crowded sectors.

Viperswhip
x3ap

Post by Viperswhip » Wed, 16. May 18, 00:11

In the early game I killed most pirates by flying around asteroids. The reason why I like jump drives is because, well, we've all been there, Autopilot. At 10x speed you traversed systems really quickly in an 250+ ship, but the autopilot would kill you constantly.

That all changes when you get a jump drive.

Yes, we have self driving cars coming in the next few years, the highway system is not something I found attractive. I played Frogger as a youngster, I don't find that compelling anymore and it feels a lot like Freelancer with prettier graphics.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Wed, 16. May 18, 00:54

sd_jasper wrote: That makes sense... though I don't know how I feel about it. I think I prefer Super Highways over the Orbital Accelerators (unless this has changed). I need to watch the video again... but from what I could tell it looked like the OA instantly moved the ship from one side to the other. I really liked how Super Highways gave that sense of speed and distance that gates/TOA didn't.

I could see them dropping local highways if the travel drive could fulfill the same purpose.... On the other hand, having lots of ships fly towards each other at extreme speeds seems like a good way to have lots of crashes. Single direction highways may still be the best design for crowded sectors.
Yeah, I agree. Being able to see planets moving and getting closer/farther was really cool and new in XR. Although I didn't like some of the gimmicky paths they would take, twisting through clouds and stuff.

Bernd was quick to say in that segment the TOA assets aren't final, though. So you never know.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Wed, 16. May 18, 09:12

Although they seem to be trying hard to make each sector / zone seamless integration tbh its not critical for my experience. Im fine with TOA. Not that I am complaining the load gap during zone switching. Games need loading gap, its pretty universal i am not that picky, i guess.

Crellion
x3tc

Re: Jumpdrives got me into X3, highways just dropped me off XR, and we're legion

Post by Crellion » Wed, 16. May 18, 10:05

aeolian wrote:Well, simply put, X3 is one of my best experiences in gaming. XR, one of my worst, because of highways and stations.

Why no jumpdrives? Basically, it usually comes up with the "it kills the game" thing.

Facts checking:
- Jumdrives in X3; so logically, people would have their game "killed" and would not get all the fun out of it and would end up not playing X3 at all.
- Highways in XR; so logically, people would love being bounced left and right and having to deal with that tedious highways entering joke.

Actually, it's the complete opposite that happens.
Facts are more stubborn than the people ignoring them.
Egosoft forum, Steam forum, youtube, reddit, all agree in volumes.

So, OK, we got it. German are addicted to speed highways... but I would recommend leaving those to real life: a ship is not a German car. It's much more, why would we restrict them to be nothing but a wagon?

With a ship equipped with jumpdrive, I could both play the fast game and when I had time or decided so, I would have my slow trip through the sectors one by one for chasing missions.
I have choice, I have fun and in control of my gameplay.

With highways, it's over. Just one option left: submit to this boring no-brainer and let yourself be dragged around by the tube. Not sexy.

This killed my appetite for the X series and I quit XR to go back to X3 and try XRM, litcube's and so on.
You might want to consider bringing people like me back into your series by making the game less boring.

This could be done easily by avoiding repetitive and boring tasks such as:
- Highways (useless, not immersive, cumbersome, looks like shit in space TBH)
- Stations wandering (I don't know ANYONE who likes to wander around those stations for opening crates and talking to ugly NPC's)
- Tedious supply management with no proper scripts (templates for supplying ships and stations?)

Anyway, I'm now (happily) frozen on X3:AP and will not play anything that looks like XR. Been there, done that and XR will always be one of my worst gaming experiences.

If you wanna go this path for X4, please, please, keep the X3 versions alive and updated so I can keep playing my favorite space sandbox.

Thanks for your attention.
This OP is so right in every respect that I admit to not bothering with the 12 pages of replies. It is ALL said in the OP. Git gud Ego! :lol:

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Thu, 17. May 18, 17:19

Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple.

Effective mission design either has to assume that you have a jump drive, or that you don't. Either it's designed for it, and not having one makes the mission impossible, or else it's designed without one in mind, and having one makes the task trivial.

If AI task forces have jump drives, they can appear anywhere on short notice, and there's no way to defend anything anywhere except by massing your entire fleet to engage their entire fleet (in which case the war is decided in the first couple of hours of the game). If the AI factions don't have them, then they have to scatter guards and patrols throughout their territories, while the opponents don't dare mass their own entire fleets because it would leave their own facilities unprotected.

The only reasonable solutions I can see are to either heavily restrict jump drive use, or come up with an alternate system instead. The latter didn't work out very well in the last game, merely trading one set of problems for another.

Personally, I feel that the jump drive should remain in the game (I hate major retcons), but be made expensive to use and/or limited in range or potential target locations. If you can only jump to one of 10-20 destinations (a player-deployable jump beacon could/should be a mission), or most ships can only jump a maximum of 2-3 sectors with a full cargo hold of E-cells (requiring at least some restocking of E-cells after each use), then it's less game-breaking, but can still be useful in some situations. The AI could then use it, but be heavily restricted in what situations it will do so. A few ships (TLs, possibly some of the larger TS superfreighters) might be able to jump further due to their massive holds, but the cost would be prohibitive. Some light fighers might only be able to carry enough E-cells to jump within the same sector, and would have to replenish them before they could jump again.

The problem with it in X3:TC/AP was that it was too cheap and easy to use constantly, not that it existed.

Combat Wombat
x4

Post by Combat Wombat » Sun, 20. May 18, 07:48

Sandalpocalypse wrote:In any case.... Teleportation is superior to jumpdrive in terms of moving the player around - you can directly access your ships. The difference is that you can't move assets around the world instantly, which makes a tremendous difference in effective world size.
100% this. Jumpdrives are in direct opposition to good game-play. They were good enough in X3 because there wasn't any other quick way to move around as a player but teleportation between your ships is the perfect solution that meets everyones needs.
You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sun, 20. May 18, 12:18

Honved wrote:Effective mission design either has to assume that you have a jump drive, or that you don't. Either it's designed for it, and not having one makes the mission impossible, or else it's designed without one in mind, and having one makes the task trivial.

If AI task forces have jump drives, they can appear anywhere on short notice, and there's no way to defend anything anywhere except by massing your entire fleet to engage their entire fleet (in which case the war is decided in the first couple of hours of the game). If the AI factions don't have them, then they have to scatter guards and patrols throughout their territories, while the opponents don't dare mass their own entire fleets because it would leave their own facilities unprotected.
We've been over the fleet battle already, if you go back through this thread you'll be able to read all the arguments over it. Some were even good!

But you give the reason why jump drive argument is important. If ES doesn't have it, missions will be designed for no JD, and I think they'll be lesser for it.

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sun, 20. May 18, 12:50

CBJ wrote:Just to reiterate ZaphodBeeblebrox's point, the issue is not route-finding but path-finding. A route from A to B is easy to determine, regardless of whether you are in 2D or 3D. Finding a path that avoids obstacles and is achievable using the current engine parameters (acceleration, turning speed, ship mass, any effect of damage, etc.) is quite another matter. Of course there are long stretches of any given route where obstacle avoidance is not an issue at all, or is trivially simple, but there are also parts where it can get very complex, involving detailed navigation around, say, a station's geometry. This is where most of the processing work goes.
everyone was asking about path algorithms, I hope I explained why such are not an issue. Even with procedurally added elements like asteroids, just add the nodes in. The context was about travelling large distances

Now we're talking about localised collision detection... I get your point about that. The way I'd be dealing with them is the same way I deal with them, as a player in a little ship - by temporarily avoiding them, if you put a bounding area over every element, you can easily get AI ships to pilot around them with a temporary detour, or pause and wait for them to pass. For general travel I doubt this is a problem. For moving objects interacting with each other, make the bounding box for a ship longer at the front depending on its speed, so AI pilots will not try to cut in front of another ship's path - avoid things that are going to be in your way as much as avoiding things that are in your way.

for combat though, its another matter, but I'd say the same principle applies, put an imaginary bounding box around everything so it has nice flat planes to it, which makes plotting paths around it much easier and make AI pilots avoid flying too close to stations. Otherwise, you are going to have them crash into things,but that's OK like I've done that as a player sometimes. I don't think its unreasonable to see the occasional fast pirate ship crash and burn if they go too fast too close to something. You should only see it in combat though, as they would be flying slower when in proximity to a station otherwise.

so for general travel, I wouldn't expect it to be too difficult at all, if stations are fixed positions, then points could be placed around them for routing and ships would route themselves to the right place, or route themselves around stations. If not, and the station is considered a single point a ship routes to, with collision avoidance when it gets close, then that can work and might be simpler.

I think the X3 system worked very well all in all, but as we've all seen how the autopilot would get into awkward spots, stop and reorient, that could be improved by making it look further ahead so its re-orientation around objects appears more gradual. Which is, after all, how I avoid objects!

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Mon, 21. May 18, 15:34

Honved wrote:Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple.

Effective mission design either has to assume that you have a jump drive, or that you don't. Either it's designed for it, and not having one makes the mission impossible, or else it's designed without one in mind, and having one makes the task trivial.
Actually it is. Just like X2 & X3 where you cannot complete a mission when they asked for a certain ship-class, which you are currently not flying. Or you "fail" the mission when you do use the Jumpdrive, and you're payout is severely limited (X2's Tour of a Lifetime).

CBJ wrote:path-finding
Are the aforementioned Navigational Satellites not an option? We've seen them in X3.

CBJ wrote:...but there are also parts where it can get very complex, involving detailed navigation around, say, a station's geometry. This is where most of the processing work goes.
Thank Xaar you made them huge and swarming with other obstacles.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Mon, 21. May 18, 17:53

Graaf wrote:

Actually it is. Just like X2 & X3 where you cannot complete a mission when they asked for a certain ship-class, which you are currently not flying. Or you "fail" the mission when you do use the Jumpdrive, and you're payout is severely limited (X2's Tour of a Lifetime).
It is not.
Mission requirements work one way only.
Easy doing if the mission requires a jump drive. Then you can balance it accordingly.
But it makes no sense if a mission forbids the use of a jump drive. X2's Tour of a Lifetime is an exception.
Transport wares and persons, hunt the pirate, defend a station... but you will be sorry if you use a jump drive? That does not work.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Tue, 22. May 18, 23:03

LittleBird wrote:
Graaf wrote:

It is not.
Easy doing if the mission requires a jump drive. Then you can balance it accordingly.
But it makes no sense if a mission forbids the use of a jump drive. X2's Tour of a Lifetime is an exception.
Transport wares and persons, hunt the pirate, defend a station... but you will be sorry if you use a jump drive? That does not work.
I thought the new engine was capable of more then the old one?

We can have complicated missions on the old one but not the new?
We can have Litcube's Bounce on the old one, but we can only turn off collision on the new one?

It's starting to look like the only improvement of the new engine is the ability to own more than 2 billion in your bank account.

Very disappointing.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Wed, 23. May 18, 12:42

Graaf wrote:
LittleBird wrote:
Graaf wrote:

It is not.
I thought the new engine was capable of more then the old one?

We can have complicated missions on the old one but not the new?
We can have Litcube's Bounce on the old one, but we can only turn off collision on the new one?

It's starting to look like the only improvement of the new engine is the ability to own more than 2 billion in your bank account.

Very disappointing.
No one said anything about engine limitations or capabilites. The discussion was about mission design and the whole topic is about gameplay design.

Bounce has nothing to do with either of those, and you can turn off collisions in both engines. (This is exactly what Bounce does btw, turning of collisions.) Having more than 2 billion in your bank account is already possible in X3, too.

It’s like you constantly make up stuff to be mad about, throwing in key words that have nothing to do with the discussion whatsoever.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Wed, 23. May 18, 22:10

The Q wrote:No one said anything about engine limitations or capabilites. The discussion was about mission design and the whole topic is about gameplay design.
The topic is the Jumpdrive, or lack thereof.
Mission design was only brought up half way down the previous page, for no apparent reason then to state that missions can't be properly designed when the jumpdrive exist. Which is bullocks.
And I only brought up engine limitation because either de engine is limited or, like you people make it sound, the Devs don't know how to code, because every proposal/option/idea is countered with impossibility. And I doubt you cannot convert the old missions and stuff into the new engine.

As for gameplay design: From what I have seen thus far, this is nothing more then Rebirth 2 with some expected improvements. Version 5.0 if you will.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 23. May 18, 23:20

What new engine do you speak of?

It uses rebirths engine the only new thing along with updates to rebirths core engine is the api which is the renderer which changed from directx to vulkan, which doesnt affect the code from rebirths jumpdrive to x4s jumpdrive code which either is still there just unused presumably.

I dont think egosofts new engine which im presuming is in progress wont be finished till their next game or the game after that.

Could be wrong of course.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X4: Foundations”