Trade Fight Build Think....EXPLORE!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Tue, 20. Mar 18, 17:16

X2 had "some" nice exploring aspect like - huge asteroids with mysterious tunnels inside, very distant outposts hidden behind local gas clouds, hidden crates here and there. That was a very good direction.
In X3 they added lost ships and removed asteroids, outposts and crates (duh!).

IMO problem with exploration from X3 and onward is not with the scale of the world but with ridiculous scanners detecting anything within their range.
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Tue, 20. Mar 18, 19:22

There are lots of possibilities for exploration actually, you just need to have a bit of creativity and manpower/money to pull it off.

lyubarskiy
x4

Post by lyubarskiy » Tue, 20. Mar 18, 19:32

To me the main part of any feature is having a point.
If you explore and find a relic but nothing comes of it, then it really shouldn't be there.

A good example is Fallout NV. I loved stumbling upon a lone person wandering about to find my self then following a side quest with a deep and rich story telling.

In that vein, I would like to find a pirate station somewhere deep in space cloaked from Radar and have some sort of quest, or mission or special ware for sale, or maybe it would be the source of all pirate presence in the nearby sector and destroying the station will eliminate that presence and would get your a personal thank you and recognition from Galactic authority, or you could choose to work with them and lure trader to them for pillaging.

Maybe you could find a relic of some sort that would provide you with blue prints to a unique weapon or improvement to a weapon / ship / system?

Possibilities are endless but all need to have a purpose other than just visual presence.

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Wed, 21. Mar 18, 16:04

Sandalpocalypse wrote:Home of Light had excellent exploration. If they put material of that quality in x4 i'll be very happy.
Ah yes, chasing down anomalies. Just a shame the rest of the game was still a bit broken, though it did get better after the final patch.
good example is Fallout NV. I loved stumbling upon a lone person wandering about to find my self then following a side quest with a deep and rich story telling.
Sadly I usually ended up killing them...

And I also agree exploration needs to have a purpose. Hate to keep referencing ED, but once you get to Sagittarius-A all there is to do is 600 jumps back to civilization and the hope you stay intact, as rebuy doesn't protect your exploration data.
Three Time Beagle Point Veteran

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Wed, 21. Mar 18, 19:23

I posted so many times about this than all I can say now that haven't said before is:

+1!

:lol:

Dreez
x4

Post by Dreez » Fri, 23. Mar 18, 22:20

X3:TC and Albion had pretty good explore imo, lots of hidden system through gates that weren't visible automatically.
Also lots of hidden derelicts.

Doesn't need to get any more explore than that.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Mon, 26. Mar 18, 12:33

X2 the first game in the series that I played was the one I enjoyed the most for exploration, until Rebirth.

Why? Simple, the sectors were all new, the map layout, its size / extent were all unknowns.

X3 Reunion not so much. The map was essentially the same.
TC the terran sectors added some exploration and seeing solar system was quite fun. However the rest was much the same.
AP The map was very similar.

Rebirth. Well how space was represented was much better than previously. Gone were the "sky boxes" and space felt more "real." With all of the DLC there was a lot of territory to cover.

What I'm trying to get at is, hiding the gates behind large asteroids, moving them away from directly N/S/E/W doesn't really add to the exploration, not when you know most of the map layout off by heart.

To me exploration is really at its best when you set off into the unknown.
However as this is a game just being able to travel in one direction for hours
is not going to be enough. You could do this in Rebirth, just fly off in any direction and keep going. There has to be some point to exploration or nobody is going to do it.

There are so many possible random encounters that might occur out in the depths of space. As we fly further from a civilised area of space we should expect the unexpected.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Mon, 26. Mar 18, 12:46

Dreez wrote:X3:TC and Albion had pretty good explore imo, lots of hidden system through gates that weren't visible automatically.
Also lots of hidden derelicts.

Doesn't need to get any more explore than that.
with all my love, that's a fallacy, there is never too much exploring to do :D (it's the space! there is so much space, the space never ends!)

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 04:33

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:X2 the first game in the series that I played was the one I enjoyed the most for exploration, until Rebirth.

Why? Simple, the sectors were all new, the map layout, its size / extent were all unknowns.

X3 Reunion not so much. The map was essentially the same.
TC the terran sectors added some exploration and seeing solar system was quite fun. However the rest was much the same.
AP The map was very similar.

Rebirth. Well how space was represented was much better than previously. Gone were the "sky boxes" and space felt more "real." With all of the DLC there was a lot of territory to cover.

What I'm trying to get at is, hiding the gates behind large asteroids, moving them away from directly N/S/E/W doesn't really add to the exploration, not when you know most of the map layout off by heart.

To me exploration is really at its best when you set off into the unknown.
However as this is a game just being able to travel in one direction for hours
is not going to be enough. You could do this in Rebirth, just fly off in any direction and keep going. There has to be some point to exploration or nobody is going to do it.

There are so many possible random encounters that might occur out in the depths of space. As we fly further from a civilised area of space we should expect the unexpected.
Personally I like the predictable gate locations in TC simply because the are which helps ease with trade startups. even if they threw the gate way off the arc it's still a good exploration for me imo. Not that I didn't like Rebirth's zone exploration, its good too though rather tedious to start trading since i am fond of the logistics aspect in this game. Once i've set those up i can fly endless hours around maps and even with predictable N/E/S/W gate locations i tend to read up spoilers since i can't seem to find the bloody gate. :lol:

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 07:08

Like most things, it's all about variety.

In populated sectors, you might have jump gates that are logical, and easy to find, because it makes sense. They would probably have been moved by the inhabitants of the sector to improve ease of use. You might be looking for hidden ware caches like in XR, however perhaps with undercover pirates protecting them.

In regions that are new, which are unpopulated, you'll have stuff more like Toride in XR where you have to work to find the gates, and might find colonies of Xenon or Khaak, or other remnants of cool, unknown races/tech. (That random race in X2 that had the cloaked ship following you?)

I really hope ES are using XR as a solid base, and working up from that, instead of making everything from scratch. There is a lot of potential in XR, it just should have been used more logically in places, to keep a strong distinction and variation in more areas.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 12:30

I think all of you will be happy with exploration in X4.

From what I've heard & seen, the highways will be more like a fast travel from one side of a sector to the other, and we'll have to come off the highway and explore into "deep space" around it to be able to find everything going on in the sector. It won't be like in Rebirth where the highways literally lead to almost every single station 'group' in the area. This is a good compromise between X3 and Rebirth's mechanics and feels like a solid place to be :)
Admiral of the Fleet.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 14:00

Nope, x rebirth was said i think to have things off the beaten path by as you say going in a highway and exiting halfway or something and finding something but nope, didnt happen. x4 will be no different, as usual x4 is a bit of a bump with stuff but generally if you take new map and ships and teleporter out its just rebirth basically. I dont personally see x4 as the big new game its claiming to be i.e proper x4.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 14:10

To be fair to X Rebirth, the HoL DLC gave players the HoL system with the extensive Xenon hidden zones and defences that could only be found by exploring the twisting debris field. I quite liked exploring and following that trail with its hidden dangers and ambushes.

The other systems in that DLC had some things to find and strange field effects/minefield areas with concealed hostile and friendly zones and a few abandoned ships too.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Tue, 27. Mar 18, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 14:13

The map design is as you describe it for the vanilla clusters, but the DLC clusters prove they can implement this idea. Even in Home of Light, the highway network doesn't cover all stations, and you can often see Gigurums turning off the highway to the neighbouring zone.

Also if you take that out you can still fly every ship and load them out how you like, build modular stations including player shipyards, have real carriers, and the universe still works on real ship- and station-building. That's a long, long way from XR.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 14:39

I had bought HoL dlc but when i loaded the start for it i think it was a start, i just saw basically the same stuff as rest of rebirth i didnt see anything new. Bare in mind thats first impression of it as i didnt try it for very long probably 20 mins to see what HoL was like and as i said first impressions was just a system with highway and same old city station u see a clone of basically everywhere in rebirth. Perhaps HoL has more to offer but they should have made it so u see something new within first half hour of casually flying about there, i might have played it more there if it was any good. For me it was a waste of a fiver.

The teladi dlc tho at least had a gamestart which let u see a old style teladi trading station which was nice and also a kinda intro remake from xbtf iirc where u meet a teladi and have a chat saying ur new to the area or something to a teladi carrier iirc. It was frre dllc too, althought thats about all i experienced from that dlc as after 20 mins i went back to my main save and back to trying to get the plot done so i can finish the game as i hated being stuck in the skunk it was a boring ship.
[ external image ]

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 16:04

@ Skeeter: Heh, so basically you disliked the lack of worthwhile exploring in XR, but mainly because you didn't explore enough to find any worth doing. :D

(Note: I'm laughing with you and not at you!)

Anyway, let's try to get back to discussing X4 gameplay aspects rather than just reminiscing about Rebirth.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 17:56

All I was trying to say is I expected new stuff from dlc to jump out at me when I explored those areas, I figured half hour looking around would do it but it didn't, I was "hoping" it would make me go " aw cool" new stuff but I didn't. Ah well, probably still would have gave up on it anyhow. Bought the dlc tho so supported them.

Heard there were new weapons but don't think I saw a station sell anything new tho can't recall it's been so long since I played.
[ external image ]

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 21:27

I think it doesn't help that, even with the view distance at the max setting, you won't notice anything in adjacent zones. In Cold Star there are flashing nav beacons to guide you to stations, but not always in HoL - and admittedly the Gigurums flying over are easy to miss. Obviously you want to feel like you found something yourself, but there should be breadcrumbs leading you to them as well.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 01:04

Home of Light itself wasn't very exciting. It was more Toride and Cold Star that were interesting. HoL is a highly populated city sector and was never gonna be a place for exploration. The DLC talks about how you could try to break the Terracorp monopoly, but the way faction rep works and the nature of the XR economy made that kinda unengaging.

HoL was a showpiece for X4-style sector design though. Relatively simple highways, with a mix of stations clustered on the highway and others located far from it.

@Skeeter - I'm pretty sure there is a Toride Explorer gamestart that dumps you in Toride right away. It's a fun thing to do imo.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 04:06

Skeeter wrote:All I was trying to say is I expected new stuff from dlc to jump out at me when I explored those areas, I figured half hour looking around would do it but it didn't, I was "hoping" it would make me go " aw cool" new stuff but I didn't. Ah well, probably still would have gave up on it anyhow. Bought the dlc tho so supported them.

Heard there were new weapons but don't think I saw a station sell anything new tho can't recall it's been so long since I played.
I was pleasantly surprised recently to find heavy laser and that missile which drops you from boosting which i can't remember the name from those systems. I wasn't actively looking for it though. Time to lightsaber some reivers and blockade some boosting tradeships in AL.

Return to “X4: Foundations”