Boron DLC

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 15. Dec 17, 19:14

Sandalpocalypse wrote:Egosoft thought about adding Boron, but they decided they didn't want to water X4 down.
:lol:
immortalfrieza wrote:I think it's already canon that the Boron have anti grav suits to wear for environments outside water.
There are also different designs for different purposes:

Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 03:16

Here's another design that should help.

[ external image ]

Sheesh, this isn't rocket surgery guys.

Rice
x3tc

Post by Rice » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 04:47

but those are fishies and no wonkydonky Squids which needs to control their tentacles to use a wrench! and indeed its no rocket surgery, its more like Munch-calamari cuisine :lol:
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Eine der hoffnungsreichsten Lebenslagen ist die, wenn es uns so schlecht geht, dass es uns nicht mehr schlechter gehen kann. [Felix Krull]

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 05:35

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 07:44

Axeface wrote:Just whatever gets us them added fastest
That would be if Egosoft would piss off with their walking-in-station, because that is the only reason Borons aren't in the game.

Axeface wrote:I have no issue paying for a decent dlc focused around the Boron
I do. Because Borons are basic part of any X-game. Remember they said they are working on a real X4. Under those conditions Borons should be in it from the start.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 09:19

Yeah they should be in.

It's not just the walking on stations it's cockpits, I think all cockpits in x4 have windows showing the pilot as I saw in the last video a character was visible in external view looking at the front of a ship showing a pilot at its chair so a boron sitting flying a ship would need to be done. Also if u hire them as crew that needs to be made especially if u have one on a cap ship walking around etc.

But if they just made a environmental suit it should solve it so I'm confused why they don't. Maybe since they aren't suppose to have legs as such they don't know how to design it but really they could just say in the suit there's controls to do some artificial limbs like 2 legs.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 10:28

Graaf wrote:
Axeface wrote:I have no issue paying for a decent dlc focused around the Boron
I do. Because Borons are basic part of any X-game. Remember they said they are working on a real X4. Under those conditions Borons should be in it from the start.
Luckily "real" is a subjective term. Regrettably you're using your interpretation of real to change what you want in what it should be. I understand you NEED the Boron and the game is not what you want without them. That's fine, however nobody ever said they would be there.

If they feel they cannot do it right and need a bit more time for a virtual race to be included. I'd ask you what the real problem is? Change perhaps?
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 11:36

nemesis1982 wrote:That's fine, however nobody ever said they would be there.
Egosoft did when they declared their next game a real X4. Sadly it isn't going to be. Also sad that people are defending that lie.

nemesis1982 wrote:I'd ask you what the real problem is? Change perhaps?
If it is just change, then there should be no problem. But when change because synonymous for lack of or even removal of gameplay, then I do have a problem with that.
Just because something is new, doesn't mean it is an improvement.

Thrake
x3ap

Post by Thrake » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 11:58

Skeeter wrote:Yeah they should be in.

It's not just the walking on stations it's cockpits, I think all cockpits in x4 have windows showing the pilot as I saw in the last video a character was visible in external view looking at the front of a ship showing a pilot at its chair so a boron sitting flying a ship would need to be done. Also if u hire them as crew that needs to be made especially if u have one on a cap ship walking around etc.

But if they just made a environmental suit it should solve it so I'm confused why they don't. Maybe since they aren't suppose to have legs as such they don't know how to design it but really they could just say in the suit there's controls to do some artificial limbs like 2 legs.
My own guess is that you can use the same model for all alliens, you just put a wonky head and that's a new race. Borons however need a lot of changes in animations,... so that's kind of as much work as all the other races needed just to add another race.

As for the mandatory pic to help solve the squid problem, I suggest that the Borons went wild and revived the old sea faring legends, then we would have a real X4 game without boron pilots.

[ external image ]

Umbru
x4

Post by Umbru » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 16:41

In the old X games the different races were really just different ship and station models so adding a race in didn't really change any game play. In the new X universe they are trying to flesh the races out to make them actual characters rather than just a concept that influenced ship design.

For the Boron that means some gameplay choices. Boron ships are full of water so can other races pilot boron ships? how about work as crew on them? Boron need the mech suits to move around that is fine for getting around on stations but will it let them fly the other races ships? Speaking of stations will the air breathing races be able to use them or maybe just regulated to Dry visitor sections.

Honestly I can imagine more than enough work to justify splitting the Boron out as a DLC race, Plus I'd rather get the base game sometime in 2018 rather than waiting another year or two for them to get the Boron done right.

[FFCW]Urizen
x4

Post by [FFCW]Urizen » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 18:38

Graaf wrote: Egosoft did when they declared their next game a real X4. Sadly it isn't going to be. Also sad that people are defending that lie.
It is not a lie. What Egosoft deems as X4 is X4. It is afterall their IP, not yours. Not to mention, the borons are not completely off the table at the moment. They might be added back in. And if you need an in universe explanation: Not all gates are open, so the Boron sectors are still simply cutoff.
Insanity is just another form of brilliance!

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Sun, 17. Dec 17, 17:19

Graaf wrote: Egosoft did when they declared their next game a real X4. Sadly it isn't going to be. Also sad that people are defending that lie.
You're confusing fact ("the most commonly known fact about hedgehogs is that they have fleas") with interpretation ("hedgehogs are obviously evil because they have needles").

Graaf wrote: If it is just change, then there should be no problem. But when change because synonymous for lack of or even removal of gameplay, then I do have a problem with that.
Just because something is new, doesn't mean it is an improvement.
I agree not all change is for the better. XR was definitely not an improvement on all fronts. However it was on some, this of course is subjective ;)

From what we've seen in the videos it looks like X4 will be improving on many areas and will get closer to the freedom we had in X3. In some areas even expanding (modular stations, ship configurations, teleporter).

Furthermore, removal of bad gameplay is an improvement as well and X3 has much BAD gameplay! From what I've seen up till now it'll be a huge improvement on XR as well as X3. If that costs a few Boron lives then so be it :P

I hope they return though I like their ship designs :)

As for a space squid: https://meglyman.deviantart.com/art/Bob ... -292673099
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

immortalfrieza
x3tc

Post by immortalfrieza » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 09:37

The Boron aren't in the game for one reason and one reason alone. Egosoft doesn't want to put in the work to make the models, animations, and ships to put them in there, while all the other races really need is simply making the standard human model and altering it a tad while reusing all the animations like they can with all the other races. They could have come up with any number of ways to include the Boron no more difficult or time consuming to make than anything else they make for the game, they just didn't care to. It's laziness pure and simple, the same sort of laziness that gave birth to X Rebirth.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 10:08

With some people trying to claim that anyone who disagrees with their opinion is lying, and others flinging around insults (yes, that includes insults directed towards the developers) this thread has a very real chance of being shut down. That would be a shame for those who genuinely want a discussion on the subject of the Boron and the benefits and challenges associated with them.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 12:23

@immortalfrieza:
-- Off topic --
Although I do agree with you that they might have found a way to make it work. Development is about making priorities more then anything else. Calling egosoft lazy is a bit weird seeing the amount of effort they put into their games after release.

-- On topic --
A race has nothing to do with functionality. It's an abstract concept which takes form. Giving the abstract of a race form while you're mechanics are not yet working would be a very bad way of prioritization (depending of which development strategy you're using of course).

-- Off topic --
The reason XR failed (now failed meaning it wasn't what many wanted it to be) in my opinion is because they have a very diversified audience which they tried to expand while at the same time pleasing the current customer base as well.

-- On topic --
Now please just let them create a game with well working mechanics and let them add abstracts as new/returning races on of the well working mechanics afterwards. Would it really be so bad if the Boron arrived back in the X Universe 6 to 12 months late but well implemented? Compared to being a Spilt with a helmet on which a Boron photo was glued on (now that would be lazy btw ;-) )?

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 21:03

Yes they are aquatic and resemble squid, it's very funny, har har.
Here's a picture that will hopefully help some of you see the Boron as something other than a joke (which really doesnt do them credit), i cropped and blew it up from a photo that 'Sorkvild' posted on another thread, from a wall at Egosoft.
Amazing concept btw egosoft, any chance we could get a high res copy of this image online?

Heres an older egosoft concept

And here's me attempting to make a 3d model from the old concept

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 08:24

That does look amazing Axeface, If that's how they should look then a suit isn't out of the question. Depending on their size of course.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 20:43

nemesis1982 wrote:That does look amazing Axeface, If that's how they should look then a suit isn't out of the question. Depending on their size of course.
In the darker concept it looks like hes already wearing a suit to me, as for their size I think they are small, like 3 feet long (but then again Teladi were small too, but in rebirth they are almost as big as a human and actually more bulky, ego can change things as they see fit).

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 06:34

Yeah I'm pretty devo about the missing Boron in an official X series sequel too. Hope they are considered for a addon down the track.

I recently read the X - Farnham's Legend book which had really good descriptions of the Boron 'encounter suit' that they use when visiting the various commonwealth stations. What it describes is probably a little too messy and hard for egosoft to implement (they sound like the floating encounter suits used by the Chodak in Star Trek games) so I think the simple human shape mech/android suit idea would be a better solution. Can call it a 'Humanoid Encounter Suit' lol.

Eg you take the current human model, give it a shiny black suit with some flashing lights and stick a big ass window on its chest & torso where you can see a Boron floating in water. Have a bunch of different suit texture designs and boron head/face designs for the floating boron inside and you've got the variation & customisation like the other races.

As for their ship and station interiors you could go 2 ways...

1- When you're on a boron station or ship you put a blue haze over everything with a few bubbles floating around. That seems a little too difficult and impracticable as then the boron wouldn't have humanoid suits and everyone else would need a special suit lol.

2- When you're on a boron station or ship it is simply just like everywhere else but using the usual cool boron green materials. Lore wise you simple say that the Boron design their ships and stations to be friendly to other races these days and that they only swim around in special Boron only sections or back in the oceans of their home worlds. That would seem more fitting with past X games too as I always wondered what was going on when I visited Boron stations or purchased a Boron ship for myself eg was i floating around in them in a suit or were they just like everywhere else considering so many races were visiting or using these stations and ships. I mean why would the Boron's be selling ships & stations to the player & other races if their customers couldn't even live on them lol.
Last edited by Blake00 on Wed, 27. Dec 17, 14:02, edited 4 times in total.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Thrake
x3ap

Post by Thrake » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 12:30

Blake00 wrote:As for their ship and station interiors you could go 2 ways...

1- When you're on a boron station or ship you put a blue haze over everything with a few bubbles floating around. That seems a little too difficult and impracticable as then the boron wouldn't have humanoid suits and everyone else would need a special suit lol.
What's about the voicing? It should all sound like "Bllllllll-blllllllllll-blblbllll!!"
Oh right, he wants me to do an assassination mission.

Return to “X4: Foundations”