The most important thing for you in an X game

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Me163
xr

Post by Me163 » Sun, 21. Jan 18, 20:39

Trading, Fighting, Building and AI that thinks about those for me.

..And maybe less repetitive mini-games like those in XR! I liked all that stupid highways, graphics, Stations(NOT for scan) but I hate almost half of XR systems like hacking, scanning, wandering around station for nothing since they're useless and boring.
The game can be repetitive. but it should be pleasantly repetitive(feel rewarding) otherwise it's just a labor not a game.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Mon, 22. Jan 18, 01:08

Highways are good for not much, and for those who wish to be driven. Ok, have them for the blind, and those who take the bus! ( Like the walking they become tedious )
Have stations that are not parked right alongside rail tracks and have them be more rewarding to find. So the intrepid space pilot who doesn't need their hands held can have a worthwhile space experience.
Walking about inside a station is fine the first time but having to do it every time is so tedious. It's a space game not a walking game.
Ships ships lots of ships.
Space , and lots of it.
Tiny, and monstrous stations.
All sectors are accessible, so you can at least fly around and take a look.
Planetary. Landing.
Realistic docking, option to take control and dock your ship.
An expanding universe, updates, to include new sectors.
More rewards, so you can advance quicker.
Plenty of on/off options, so you can remove the annoying aggressors, if that is your wish. ( A peaceful universe ) One can but wish !

druid40

Post by druid40 » Sun, 28. Jan 18, 10:10

Springblossom.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 28. Jan 18, 15:09

For me the most important thing (if we ignore ship variety and boron...) to be improved for X4 is AI and pathfinding. Its pretty dumb in the x games, really want to see it improved. AI acts like drones, would like to see it act more real or lifelike. Current AI could actually still be used for drones, where it's quirks are actually quite fitting (swarms of fighters smashing into their target in Rebirth, for example).

I'de like to see AI start to work together too. Currently each fighter works as a single unit, why dont enemies use formations or other tactics that involve their wingmen? Capitals could do all sorts of things together too.

Also I REALLY hope that the AI in x4 can use all the tricks that the player has. Decoupled mode, boost and STRAFE (both in combat and out of it). I think its just a bit silly if the player is the only one with these powerful tricks.

This should all of course be linked to pilot skill. Dont think I have to stress how much interest and deep gameplay it would add to have pilots of varying skills in the game, where bad pilots act pretty much like current X3/XR AI and good ones kick your butt (or make the best wingman ever, considering we can hire). And hiring a pilot and seeing them slowly improve as they fight with you would be so rewarding. XR has pilot skills but honestly I never noticed much of a difference apart from how quickly they react to orders?

Rhapses
x4

Post by Rhapses » Tue, 30. Jan 18, 01:30

If this is meant to be called 'Foundations' then I'd imagine the foundations is where it should go (XBTF excluded to some extent as I believe XR covered that)::
  • - All of the original races: Argon, Boron, Paranid, Split, Teladi, Xenon

- Able to fly any ship that exists: Not necessarily all buildable such as Xenon. Go back to the M0-M7 ship classing to assist in asset development so each race has at least one of each to begin with. Add in more later/post-release.

- Large variation of station complexes/goods/production chains: More goods/items dependent upon specific race/faction, some of which are banned/illegal but perhaps still desired via smuggling (do you really think the Split would allow the boron to use their weapons? Would Borons make spacefly farms? Would Argon make dream farms? Who wouldn't want some space weed/space fuel after a long week hauling ore through pirate/xenon infested territory?)

- Racial Visual Differences: Between all race stations, ships, AND equipment. Vanilla is boring and I personally liked how teladi preferred ammo based weapons for econimical reasons over expensive lazors

- SETA: You know it wasn't just used for flying long distances. Gods did it take ages for goods to be made in a station, trade to occur (both in/out), and finally for profit to arrive - personally I used to use SETA to accelerate the speed of the game when IAW/AFK to allow my finances to build up so I could go spend the money on blowing stuff up or simply expanding further

- Thereshallbewings: fun times when you want to just mess around with spawning and testing before committing to full-scale production chains or see what 100 M3's, 50 M6's, and 20 M1/M2's can do to Argon Prime... :wink:

- No more instant ship spawning: Blowing up a xenon sector in X3 was fun the first time (couple of times??) then you realise it respawns and ask yourself what is the point in life and the x-universe. For Rapid Response Taskforces, ships in quiet sectors/zones can jump out and come join the fight. If they die, a new ship then has to be deployed to that sector/zone it originated from, meaning an invasion could and should weaken an empire much the same as it would a player.

POSSIBLE NEW FEATURES::
  • - Delayed broken economy : Break economies far enough into the game when builders will have the funds to plug the hole or monopolize on new opportunities rather than the AI trying as soon as a game starts (new research leads to new production chains or something maybe).

- Post-release Expansion & DLC feature packs: Some may not agree but ES bean-counters might. Utilize Expansions to add in larger items such as races & sectors/maps (and associated stuff that would be in the DLC's). Utilize DLC's to add in smaller groups of new equipment, new production chains/goods, new ships, new (non-playable) enemies such as Kha'ak

- Ship/Station Selling (not quite a new feature for the ship selling): particular to the stations when you undercut an AI opponent and they run out of money and choose to sell. Maybe they'd sell ships first to try and stay afloat, then the station when there is nothing else to sell.

- Diplomacy / racial relations: Random events which scale according to current racial relations. Races who like each other won't ever go straight to war but could have incidents such as terrorist actions or ship collisions which strain (lower) relations. Whilst those who hate each other could have border skirmishes pop up which could lead to all out war (such as a skirmish to regain lost territory or to make their claim whilst only a handful of core sectors are perhaps unconquerable (subject to modding) to ensure a core race cannot ever be completely wiped out and break the game).

Just remember. For a sandbox, lack of diversity in all things leads to lack of interest sooner (aka boredom). The more choices/differences/features on offer, the longer the interest. Utilize Expansion/DLC post-release to expand and add in new 'everything'

TLDR: Variety/Diversity in all things

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Tue, 30. Jan 18, 02:15

Just have to pop this in for those that did not discover this in the older game, (X-ReunionTC) Mining! Can take a while, with not a huge reward. That is if you do it the normal expected way.
I had the largest ship available, with full shielding and scoops open. Set the speed to almost stopped. ( I think it was 3 to 5 ) Then drove straight through the rock. Not only was this fun as the ship shuddered under the impact's, but the scoops collected massive amounts of ore in no time. The graphics almost had a melt down with explosions, but it was such fun to do.

Now having the opportunity to try new ways of doing things, is essential to give a game longevity, fun and the desire to keep playing.

If you still have X Reunion TC give this a go, it is fun.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Jan 18, 14:33

@ Nort: "(X-ReunionTC)" Do you mean in X3:R or in X3:TC/AP? I think those games versions have greatly different collection and shield mechanics.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Tue, 30. Jan 18, 16:29

This XRunion TC was from the super box , other than that I am not sure exactly the version. It was a while ago and I no longer have the game, ( huff ) . I tried Rebirth but was immensely disappointed with it, so Burnt the disk. I am so hoping X4 is more like Xreunion, as I enjoyed playing that. If it's just a revamp of the walking around rebirth, then it will be a waste of time.

DJC
x4

Re: The most important thing for you in an X game

Post by DJC » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 17:01

I know this is an old post and I will probably get shunned for a "necro" post but so Be it.
Now that X4 has been released it seems that Egosoft DID NOT listen to everyone.
We did not get the Steering option that was available in pre XR games. In fact
we were limited even more. We cant even map our Right mouse button for primary
fire anymore and Classic bore-sight fire/ steering is limited to the keyboard.
I am very discouraged by this and am holding off playing so I don't get my
hour in so I can get a refund if this does not change.
Come on Egosoft every other X game prior to XR had this option. Why remove it,
how hard could it be to incorporate it in to an option.
The controls that exist in this game are exactly why I do not own any other "space sims"
that are out there at this time. Yes I do Have SC but I highly regret that purchase as well.
This game looks great I want to keep it. Please reinstate the bore-sight/steering options found in X2-X3 Albion Prelude
Attention: All of your ships are under attack

Return to “X4: Foundations”