One question that might not have been asked - sub-displays/monitors

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 3. Jan 18, 11:35

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Ricemanu wrote:Regarding question #2: Bernd said no to that in the presentation.
#1 sounds cool but my personal experience would say that since it's not really in Rebirth, it probably won't be in X4.
Additional monitors wasn't part of X2 either and they implemented it in later X titles.
Uhm...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dua ... 759-6.html
[ external image ]

WildDoktor
x3ap

Multi-monitor display

Post by WildDoktor » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 23:34

I'm *very* new to the X Universe, but have been playing MS Flight Simulator since it's inception...we're talking *thousands* of hours.

I have four 27" monitors on my desk (3 across, one on top in the middle) specifically to fly Flight Simulator. (Running Windows 10)

MSFS has giving the choice for a long, long time to run full-screen or windowed. In full-screen, you get one screen, on one monitor. Period. In Windowed mode, I can "undock" any window or panel I choose and drag it to any physical monitor I want. Hence the 4 monitors! Overhead panel on the top physical monitor, gauges / throttle / GPS / etc on the right physical monitor, cockpit on the main (bottom middle) monitor, and email, chrome, etc. on the left monitor.

I miss that in X3TC/AP/LU. Running in borderless mode let's me alt+tab to use my cursor in other apps (like chrome, where I always have a universe map in its own tab, along with about 90 other X3 related tabs to figure out what the heck I'm supposed to be doing! :-)), but of course I can't drag any X3 panels / views to a different physical monitor, where I could keep info handy and "immerse" myself in my main cockpit monitor.

Just my 2 cent's worth, but X4 with multi-monitor display support would rock...and get my money! :-)

vrod
x4

Post by vrod » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 22:47

SamuraiProgrammer wrote:
LTerSlash wrote:What i always wanted to do on X3 and it was not possible is just to send the secondary monitor to another physical monitor, or maybe having the sector map on a second monitor, etc.
THIS!!!

Please oh please please please

Even if the second monitor is only text information!

Just think.. a spreadsheet like grid showing trade prices & availability color coded with trends.

*swoon*
I am able to grab some limited info from X3TC/AP and display on a character display. The info is from an X19 data logging script. Sector name, station name (if docked) your name and credits, ship name and health, and target name and health. The info is updated every second or 2.

I also use "Actual Windows Manager" to grab portions of my display and place them onto another physical monitor. I have my shield/hull indicators and gravitar placed onto (physical) monitor #4, and targets shield/hull and the secondary monitor display (also comms display) onto my (physical) monitor #3.

My primary display is actual triple screens. So gravitar and the comms display is way off to the right. So the mirroring makes it easy to see and adds a cool touch.

WildDoktor
x3ap

Post by WildDoktor » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 23:12

vrod wrote: I am able to grab some limited info from X3TC/AP and display on a character display. The info is from an X19 data logging script. Sector name, station name (if docked) your name and credits, ship name and health, and target name and health. The info is updated every second or 2.

I also use "Actual Windows Manager" to grab portions of my display and place them onto another physical monitor. I have my shield/hull indicators and gravitar placed onto (physical) monitor #4, and targets shield/hull and the secondary monitor display (also comms display) onto my (physical) monitor #3.

My primary display is actual triple screens. So gravitar and the comms display is way off to the right. So the mirroring makes it easy to see and adds a cool touch.
Wow; "Actual Windows Manager" seems like the ticket...too bad it's so expensive. I'll keep it in mind, though!
Vayde sez: "Hi WildDoktor; I've checked your save and the Mammoth is the least of your problems."

vrod
x4

Post by vrod » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 15:27

I think there is a free trial version to try out for some days.
I paid 30 for the full version.

I was using it in Elite Dangerous, but found it was slowing down my computer at times.

There is no slowdown with X3.

Right now, I am trying to get the gravitar to have a solid black image behind it. It will help it display better. If I can do that, I will try to do the same for the ships' health bars.

I plan on making a video real soon of it in action. I've been bust adding onto the cockpit and configuring Roccat power grid on the tablets.

vrod
x4

Post by vrod » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 21:51

Here are some pics for now.

Front console: All buttons are programmable with the exception of the 8 lights at the very top of the panel (4 on either side). (notice the right MFD shows the secondary in-game monitor as well as the communications animations, since they appear at the same location on the main screen)

Left MFD: I would like to provide a black background on the portions that were clipped from the main display. Would look so much better on the MFD. (note that I use the MFD graphics for ED as well, so some button commands do not match X3. I can easily graphics for each game, but it is a low priority ATM.))

LCD Character Display and Right MFD: The character display shows game info and changes screens with other data every few seconds. The right MFD shows target health as well as the in-game secondary monitor and comms display. Again, black backgrounds instead of transparent backgrounds would look much better here)

Last edited by vrod on Thu, 8. Feb 18, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

[FFCW]Urizen
x4

Post by [FFCW]Urizen » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 22:13

#jelly
Insanity is just another form of brilliance!

stormtrooper68
x4

Agree to multi-monitor UI

Post by stormtrooper68 » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 11:35

I use multi-monitors both at home and work. I must agree that this would really be a nice UI to incorporate for options. Even if it's something simple like sector/universe map, or station/ship list.

vrod
x4

Post by vrod » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 15:43

I tell you, what was once a narrow niche (cockpit builders) is growing.

The more interactivity I can get the better! This is one of the reasons I am STILL playing X3!

Thank you Egosoft for such a really, really, cool game!

vrod
x4

Post by vrod » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 22:14

Please let me use my displays for X4!!!

Return to “X4: Foundations”