Page 5 of 13

Posted: Fri, 16. Jun 17, 20:59
by Santi
seePyou wrote:One can still hope for one though!

Can we get any official comment on whether or not we will be able to fly all of the ships in the universe, from the lowest M5 (or lesser if it is made) to the biggest M1/TL (or equivalent)?
For X4 you will be able to fly ships of the Small and Medium Class, so far there is no specific number to the amount of ships you can fly. It was posted some time ago that the number will be "more than 3". Maybe we can get an update in that statement.

Posted: Sat, 17. Jun 17, 00:16
by Xenon_Slayer
Santi wrote:
seePyou wrote:One can still hope for one though!

Can we get any official comment on whether or not we will be able to fly all of the ships in the universe, from the lowest M5 (or lesser if it is made) to the biggest M1/TL (or equivalent)?
For X4 you will be able to fly ships of the Small and Medium Class, so far there is no specific number to the amount of ships you can fly. It was posted some time ago that the number will be "more than 3". Maybe we can get an update in that statement.
whimsical friday statement incoming
More than 4.

Posted: Mon, 19. Jun 17, 10:03
by seePyou
I do hope this changes in the future. While it is an improvement on X:Rebirth, it is a much greater downgrade to X3:TC / X3:AP. Many people have weighed in that they do want the freedom offered by X3 to pilot massive ships, and that includes me. Piloting only S and M ships (which number can be 5 or bigger) means no flying in a TS, no flying in a TL, no flying in an M6 or M7 as most people who ever played X3 had been using as their personal ship. Means not seeing up front and personal a large engagement with enemy forces, not being able to help the M1 into battle with all the support M2s, M7s playing fighter screen and M7Ms and M8 destroying caps while your interceptors launched from your M1 handle the enemy fighters... and you being RIGHT IN THERE, in the lead ship, leading!

Just trying to convey how great X3 was and to urge everyone at Egosoft to remember that.

Posted: Mon, 19. Jun 17, 11:34
by GCU Grey Area
seePyou wrote:Piloting only S and M ships (which number can be 5 or bigger) means no flying in a TS, no flying in a TL, no flying in an M6 or M7 as most people who ever played X3 had been using as their personal ship.
Why do you assume no TS or M6? Ships equivalent to these classes exist in XR - small freighters with around 10-15k cargo (e.g. Gigurum), Katana & Xenon P. These are all classified as M ships, so they may well be available to fly.

As for bigger ships, not really all that interested in flying them personally - M6 was always my favourite combat class (bigger than that they tended to get too sluggish & didn't find them much fun to fly), so as long as ships equivalent to the old M6 class are flyable I'll be happy.

Posted: Mon, 19. Jun 17, 13:00
by seePyou
Well then what is small and medium? If they go up to M6 and cover TS, then we have: M5, M4, M6, TS.

That's four classes of ships, and the official word is that we will be able to fly "more than four" ships. So one of each and a second, maybe a TP? What about a TM? What about a TS+, or M6+?

What about an M7? We are already way past the "more than four" minimum of 5 ships.

Finally, while everyone's opinion needs to be heard and counted, it is not in the interest of the game to simply ignore other people's views on the game. If I'm ok with only flying one ship, then my comment "I'm fine with only flying one ship, never understood what flying more would bring me, bigger ships are boring anyway" does not further the game or the discussion. It is a perfectly valid opinion for me to hold, or for whoever else holds this opinion, but there is also in there an inherent disparagement about the opinions of others that do want to fly more (or in fact all of the) ships in the game.

We should expect more of our favorite games! It's not good to hear that the next Far Cry will have "more than four" weapons. It's not good to hear that the next Grand Theft Auto will let you steal and drive "more than four" vehicles. It's not good to hear that the next Eurotruck Simulator will let you drive "more than four" trucks!

Especially when each game's previous instalment had the capability to use any and all of their respective tools.

Posted: Mon, 19. Jun 17, 13:46
by Commander_K
seePyou wrote:Well then what is small and medium? If they go up to M6 and cover TS, then we have: M5, M4, M6, TS.
In terms of X:R: Every ship that has a pilot and not a captain.

Posted: Mon, 19. Jun 17, 14:02
by CBJ
seePyou wrote:It's not good to hear that the next Far Cry will have "more than four" weapons. It's not good to hear that the next Grand Theft Auto will let you steal and drive "more than four" vehicles. It's not good to hear that the next Eurotruck Simulator will let you drive "more than four" trucks!
You do realise that was a tongue-in-cheek comment, right? We're not ready to announce precise details of numbers, or even types, of ships, so please don't try to over-analyse this kind of thing. :)

Posted: Mon, 19. Jun 17, 15:37
by seePyou
There go my dreams of over analysis!!!...

Foiled again!...

I'll hold my breath till there is an announcement!

Posted: Mon, 19. Jun 17, 16:29
by Skeeter
I hope the ui is more stylish like it was in x2, no minimal ui but full screen. Also please bring back x2 bulletin board system. With the stories, some things actually happening and missions through it. Any chance of space to planet transport ships like from x2 in x4?

Also will modding be better in x4 as I've not seen a lot of modding with total conversions in x rebirth, with replacing art assets such ships, cockpits, textures etc.

Posted: Mon, 19. Jun 17, 16:38
by UniTrader
Skeeter wrote:Also please bring back x2 bulletin board system. With the stories, some things actually happening and missions through it.
The only stuff in the BBS which had any relation to actual Gameplay were the Mission Offers, all the other stuf was, while interesting, just shown randomly without any relation to happenings in the Game... that was partially done in X3 afaik (there some BBS messages had a relation to stuff happening in the Game)
Skeeter wrote: Any chance of space to planet transport ships like from x2 in x4?
when you mean geamepla-wise used like in X2 then i wonder why, because they were only used in Story Cutscenes and had never any relevance in Gameplay.
Skeeter wrote:Also will modding be better in x4 as I've not seen a lot of modding with total conversions in x rebirth, with replacing art assets such ships, cockpits, textures etc.
Thats not a problem with the Modding Interface.

Posted: Mon, 19. Jun 17, 17:05
by mr.WHO
While "the number of flyable ships in X4" has been done to death, I have a question in regards to multiple flyable ships.

Will be have class or even ship specific cokpits, interiors or bridges?
I mean in X-R there are already several nice cokpits (except vanilla Skunk cokpit - I despise that abomination) and interiors are already build with modular parts - therefore it should be easy to have something with low effort but still some minimum quality.

E.g:
S size - Fighters: cokpit only
M size - Corvettes, Bomber huge fighters: Cokpit + interior (like Skunk)
L, LX size - Capships: Bridge + interior + hangar


That way we would have some feature that is superior to X3 or even X2.

Posted: Mon, 19. Jun 17, 22:44
by Nanook
UniTrader wrote:
Skeeter wrote:Also please bring back x2 bulletin board system. With the stories, some things actually happening and missions through it.
The only stuff in the BBS which had any relation to actual Gameplay were the Mission Offers, all the other stuf was, while interesting, just shown randomly without any relation to happenings in the Game... that was partially done in X3 afaik (there some BBS messages had a relation to stuff happening in the Game)....
I think his point was that things could be done that way in X4, i.e., expand the usefulness of the BBS to include real happenings. IMO, the old BBS was also useful for the 'color' stories which helped to give the universe more life, and it's absence in later games is what led a lot of players to describe the universe as 'lifeless'. In many ways, Rebirth suffered from the same lifelessness.

Posted: Tue, 20. Jun 17, 07:39
by ZaphodBeeblebrox
Something along the lines of.

Haarold Mckyntyre a prospector, had just located a rich asteroid field, he was staking a claim when he was unfortunately killed during a Xenon incursion.

His widow Maria Mckyntyre can be found at station XXX in zone YYYY.

Anybody rediscovering this asteroid field should inform the relevant authorities.

Giving rise to a mission to find and exploit the asteroid field.

Posted: Tue, 20. Jun 17, 11:55
by linolafett
mr.WHO wrote: Will be have class or even ship specific cokpits, interiors or bridges?
Each flyable ship chassis has its own cockpit.

Cockpits are modeled with a tight fit into the ship hull, therefore a modular approach is not simply possile.
Every cockpit therefore has a unique look.

Posted: Tue, 20. Jun 17, 13:24
by mr.WHO
Nice!
I really hope these will be the quality of cokpits added by patch (2.0?) rather than vanilla Skunk cokpit.

I mean the worst part of Skunk cokpit was that it obscured most of the view without showing that much of an information.
The patch cokpits in other hand provided same information, but with greater visibility and less details to distract you.

I alsolutely love the cokpit that has no glass, but instead it use (LCD?) screens to simulate the cokpit windows - that's the only thing for which I still like the "enter the Skunk cokpit" animation - you enter the cokpit with screens powered down, but when you are stitting the screen power up - that kind of immersion is much better than vanilla cokpit.