Some takeaways from our 2022 player survey

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Some takeaways from our 2022 player survey

Post by CBJ » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 19:19

Maebius wrote:
Tue, 6. Dec 22, 19:17
Do you mind sharing how many participated in your survey?
Gregory, right near the start of the first post in the thread, wrote:
Mon, 28. Nov 22, 10:08
Please note that the percentages mentioned only refer to the participants in the survey, not to the total number of buyers or players of X4: Foundations. For information, just under 20,000 of you participated in the survey.

Maebius

Post by Maebius » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 19:27

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 6. Dec 22, 19:19
Maebius wrote:
Do you mind sharing how many participated in your survey?
Gregory, right near the start of the first post in the thread, wrote:
Please note that the percentages mentioned only refer to the participants in the survey, not to the total number of buyers or players of X4: Foundations. For information, just under 20,000 of you participated in the survey.
Thanks CBJ, went through the text twice and managed to miss it both times. :oops:
That's a fine number of participants to analyze data from.
Again, best of luck.

thegreybetween
x4

Post by thegreybetween » Wed, 7. Dec 22, 00:02

Maebius wrote:
Also, I feel that a question "do you like walking around in stations" was missing from the survey, but I'm thinking that it might have been on purpose.
X4 is a game that serves many masters. Perhaps too many. I like walking around in stations.

But yeah, it feels like X4 is in an odd place of having a wealth of different systems that dramatically vary in importance to different types of players, so the devs are in a difficult position when expanding them. NPC interactions are important to players like me, but a total waste of time to many other player types. Adding a more robust system would be great for me, but frustrating to other players who use the game differently. Same with station/ship interiors. I really like the fact that we can walk around on stations, but it feels empty and redundant. And this is probably because so many other players think the whole system is a waste of resources, so it never actually gets the development attention that it needs to elevate the experience. So, we end up with all of these really cool systems that are functional but sparse, and end up feeling tacked-on. The people who dislike them can safely ignore them, and the players who love the idea eventually get bored with the lack of further attention, and we end up with expansions (and survey results) that seem to only care about more ships. IMO, we have plenty of ships, and would be better served adding some more life in them.

Maebius

Post by Maebius » Wed, 7. Dec 22, 11:09

thegreybetween wrote:
Wed, 7. Dec 22, 00:02
... I really like the fact that we can walk around on stations, but it feels empty and redundant...
That's what I'm coming from.
It's a feature that was a design decision but turned out in such a state that probably left almost everyone disappointed, like:
-Those that wanted and liked it, found it severely lacking in the end
-Those that never wanted it, thought it was a waste of resources
-Those that wouldn't mind having it, but the end result seemed like a waste of resources (I belong in this category :D )
Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, it was just an observation.

B00g11m44n

Post by B00g11m44n » Wed, 7. Dec 22, 18:15

Gregory wrote:
🗨️ Nicer ships = higher approval rating?
The results of these survey questions lead us to assume that the popularity of expansions among players of X4 is driven primarily by the ships that we introduce in those expansions. In particular, we interpret this result to mean that the ships from X4: Cradle of Humanity are your favourites, resulting in it receiving the highest rating at 40%. Are we right in our assumptions, or are there other factors that led you to your answers? Feel free to let us know in the comments section for this article.
Not so much the ships as the stations. Once past early game, I tend to fly destroyers for combat and the fastest of scouts for story missions. At that scale or speed, most of the NPC ships can not be seen in any detail unless I give up control of my own ship to use camera modes. The stations, however, can be admired no matter what I'm doing at the time.

This should not be taken to mean that I want all nice ships, though. Nor do i want all ugly ships. The Terrans are important because they provide something to aspire to. Starting at the bottom and earning all the money and power in the universe doesn't feel like as much of an achievement if I'm still living in the slums at the end. The Terrans provide that Luxury / Superiority / "Flex" factor that none of the other factions currently can.

Edit: That said, the Tokyo is, aesthetically, my favorite ship in all the X series. I just wish it was combat-worthy.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sat, 10. Dec 22, 23:34

Since the survey closed before I could participate in it with an up-to-date view of the game, here are my responses:

1) 100-500
2) 2-4
3) Designing / Building stations
4a) No
4b) where is the option: I said No?
5) satisfaction = 3, because 2.5 isn't possible
6) 5
7a) yes
7b) 2-5
7c) QoL
8.) M+K
9) yes
10a) all
10b) none
11) too expensive

RaksitYar
x4

Post by RaksitYar » Tue, 13. Dec 22, 22:05

thegreybetween wrote:
Mon, 28. Nov 22, 21:39
- More factions to meet and build relationships with (and yeah, I'm in the "Borons please!" camp)
Indeed, there is a lack of Borons. I will not start a game until the full Borons faction does not appear in it.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 13. Dec 22, 22:16

RaksitYar wrote:
Tue, 13. Dec 22, 22:05
thegreybetween wrote:
- More factions to meet and build relationships with (and yeah, I'm in the "Borons please!" camp)
Indeed, there is a lack of Borons. I will not start a game until the full Borons faction does not appear in it.
+1

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 14. Dec 22, 09:13

@ chew-ie: Are you sure you know what you are giving the +1 to? :D - "I will not start a game until the full Borons faction does not appear in it."
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Wed, 14. Dec 22, 18:16

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 13. Dec 22, 22:16
RaksitYar wrote:
thegreybetween wrote:
+1

Thanks Alan! :oops:

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Wed, 14. Dec 22, 20:23

RaksitYar wrote:
thegreybetween wrote:
In that case you get a +1 from me.
And I do share that opinion. I don't see a reason to start a new game now. I don't even see a reason to continue the one I have.

At launch the game was boring, and after 4 years of bug-fixing and additional content, the game is still boring. It's designed that way.
It's not designed for you being a pilot. It's designed for you being a manager, spending most of your time in map-view commanding ships that don't do what you tell them to do.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 14. Dec 22, 21:00

RaksitYar wrote:
Indeed, there is a lack of Borons.
Lack? :? I'd say there is one too many. Just one and many fine mess we get into. More of them must surely be total chaos. :shock:

Then again, perhaps there could be pleasure in such misery. :twisted:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Tranxalive
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tranxalive » Fri, 16. Dec 22, 16:42

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 14. Dec 22, 21:00
Lack? :? I'd say there is one too many. Just one and many fine mess we get into. More of them must surely be total chaos. :shock:

Then again, perhaps there could be pleasure in such misery. :twisted:
I believe there is one Boron worse than Boso Ta. You knew his name before I said it, didn’t you? :D

That’s right. I’m talking about Mahi Ma. :twisted: He makes Boso Ta look like a lowly Xenon M (X4/XR Version :wink: ) compared to the Xenon I that he is.

Not only does he ask for more materials, but the return on your investment is honestly not all that worth the pain and suffering. :cry: And that smug little fish has the audacity to refer to the materials he needs as “a few things”. Mahi Ma is truly the worst boron... Which is why I advocate for his return (a Reunion, if you will. :wink: ) in the new X4 update/DLC. :twisted:

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 16. Dec 22, 18:05

Tranxalive wrote:
Fri, 16. Dec 22, 16:42
I believe there is one Boron worse than Boso Ta. You knew his name before I said it, didn’t you? :D
I'll raise with Mi Ton. :shock:

The only "good" Boron was Burnit for going bankrupt and selling a claim to a sector in auction. :gruebel:
Princess Menelaus was ok. 8)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Tranxalive
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tranxalive » Fri, 16. Dec 22, 19:19

jlehtone wrote:
Fri, 16. Dec 22, 18:05
Tranxalive wrote:
Fri, 16. Dec 22, 16:42
I'll raise with Mi Ton. :shock:

The only "good" Boron was Burnit for going bankrupt and selling a claim to a sector in auction. :gruebel:
Princess Menelaus was ok. 8)
I’ll actually have to agree with that... sort of. :gruebel: Mi Ton is highly obnoxious and I can’t believe he made a 200,000 credit dent in my finances, all for a stupid Hydra. :evil: I could’ve used that 200,000 to add to my massive empire! :( Except in reality I’d just spend it on replacing a Mercury, because there’s always some Kha’aky triangle (pyramid? :gruebel: ) after one. :evil: I never understood what Elena Kho felt like until after I played an entire game of X-Tension while placing a station in every sector. Every single second, it’s just a constant stream of interruptions.

Anyways, I got a bit off track there... Doesn’t Mi Ton realize that he’s the “inconvenient noise?” Now, onto my disagreement. I think Boso Ta and Mahi Ma are worse because they put on a “peaceful” and “friendly” facade. And then they trick you into giving them absurd amounts of materials. :shock: I bet they’re not even using most of them for what they should be working on, and are just using them for their evil experiments.

I haven’t played X3:R to the point of buying Avarice yet. Although my empire was quite powerful, I still never got close to the amount needed. Once I decide to torture myself by building insane complexes in every sector I probably will. :wink:

Princess Menelaus seems to be awfully susceptible to the Borusdektus (is that the name? :gruebel: ) virus. Or maybe, she’s not. I bet she’s secretly pretending to be sick in order to further her drug and alcohol addictions. :twisted: Don’t you think it’s a little strange that she gets sick constantly and if you never “help” her she never dies and keeps asking until you’re eventually fooled? :gruebel:

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 19. Dec 22, 21:05

How many hours have you invested in your most advanced savegame so far?
700+ h

How many times have you started a new game?
Just once - but I'd be willing to start a new game if it would mean resolving long standing save-compactibility blocked issues.

Which (gameplay) element of X4 do you enjoy the most?
I find this question badly made - while I like fighting and station building more than others, I find all listed entries essential for sould of X-games and my personal enjoyment of the game. Even if it's just one-time exploration and discovery, when new DLC region opens up.

Would you like to be able to play X4 with friends?
No, I'm solely Single Player person, if possible I'd even got rid of online features like ventures and account locked ship skins.

How satisfied are you with X4 today?
Solid 4/5, but missing content and rough edges in many places still make it far from 5/5.

How satisfied are you with the game performance on your hardware?
4.5 /5 The game choke only with very big IS battles or near absurdly large player build station.

Do you use game modifications (mods) when playing X4?
Yes

If you have used Mods in X4, how many mods are you currently using in your most recent X4 savegame?
More than 5

Why do you use mods in X4?
All answers, but mainly more ship/content and quality of life.

Which type of controls do you use most often in X4?
Mouse and keyboard

Have you bought (at least) one expansion for X4?
Yes, all of them

Which expansion do you like the most?
Terran DLC the most, but Split is not far behind - content rich on regions, ships, factions.
Tide of Avarice is rather underwhelming and badly designed comparing to other two.

However all DLC suffer on major lack of faction equipment and weapons (e.g. copy/paste Terran weapons, no terran missiles at all).

How do you feel about the retail price of the X4 expansions?
Just right, and I'm talking about release day price. Any sale discount is a bargain!

Berni
x4

Post by Berni » Tue, 20. Dec 22, 13:22

Gregory wrote:

The results of these survey questions lead us to assume that the popularity of expansions among players of X4 is driven primarily by the ships that we introduce in those expansions. In particular, we interpret this result to mean that the ships from X4: Cradle of Humanity are your favourites, resulting in it receiving the highest rating at 40%. Are we right in our assumptions, or are there other factors that led you to your answers? Feel free to let us know in the comments section for this article.
Have you ever thought about selling (flight ready) ships (possibly as DLCs)?
Star Citizen did it (even they are concept ships only) and they make a lot of money with it!

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Thu, 22. Dec 22, 02:58

Berni wrote:
Tue, 20. Dec 22, 13:22
Gregory wrote:

Star Citizen did it (even they are concept ships only) and they make a lot of money with it!
Hopefully ES doesn't go down that route on top of the current DLC path.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Thu, 22. Dec 22, 03:32

Berni wrote:
Tue, 20. Dec 22, 13:22
Gregory wrote:

PLEASE NO! Egosoft is the last company I'd want to go this route, as it would, like with most other companies who did this stuff, most likely have an inevitably negative effect on the main game development/quality. I like the current way the best : Expansion packs on a regular basis until the next game comes out.

Berni
x4

Post by Berni » Thu, 22. Dec 22, 22:48

I wouldn't mind supporting Egosoft by buying some ships if they're reasonable priced actually flight ready and not some concept stuff^^

Return to “X4: Foundations”