Is there a fix/cause for stutter in late game?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Is there a fix/cause for stutter in late game?

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 22:19

verdeboy2k wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 10:49
I normally try to keep my stations around 1000 workforce total, so usually 4ish production modules and ancillary modules.
Computronic Substrate require 1,500 workers each module.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 22:42

verdeboy2k wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 19:24
dtpsprt wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 11:24
Even though your problem can be partially blamed to mods (VRO especially since it interferes with almost every aspect), there is a (sad in my opinion) reality that most CPUs can not "handle" the extreme info to be processed with the CoH addition... (increase by 7 million lines -things to watch and calculate- just starting a new game comparing to 3.30). This is about the size of a mid to end game player's position...
Just to let other people reading know, it's hardly *unplayable* I might add, beyond the brief moments of stutter my FPS is solid as a rock as long as I'm not looking at my hordes of miners on a map, especially since I'm at the stage of the game where it's more of an RTS. If I'm just a passenger on a ship it's not noticeable at all. Though I will say that using SETA makes my CPU melt and cry, lol. Just if I'm flying a ship or walking around the 'hiccups' are definitely noticeable.
Understood (and respected)... I suppose by RTS you mean Real Time Strategy. That leaves out people that would prefer to fly their own ships (for any reason) though...
BTW if you are using the game as RTS what is the purpose of VRO?

al_dude
x4

Post by al_dude » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 22:49

I would never play X series as RTS.

In 99% of space games out there, you are forced in a tiny fighter. In X, you can captain huge ships!

So, that's what I do in X. I captain huge ships and have semi-big battles. I generally avoid OOS fight.

verdeboy2k
x4

Post by verdeboy2k » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 23:19

dtpsprt wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 22:42
Understood (and respected)... I suppose by RTS you mean Real Time Strategy. That leaves out people that would prefer to fly their own ships (for any reason) though...
BTW if you are using the game as RTS what is the purpose of VRO?
I mean, I like to sit and watch my battles, but I get bored flying a big capital ship, and flying a fighter in a massive space battle is a great way to end up hitting the 'reload' button (even with the new ejection system). So I tend to issue my attack orders and watch the battle unfold from the bridge while micromanaging the fight. (And my opinion of how the AI executes fleet combat is not fit for public viewing. I would pay actual $$ for a mod/addon/patch that lets you put 'no go' zones around stations so my fighters will fight the things they can actually kill and not die to the pretty laser light show of a xenon station bristling with their fighter eating beam weapons.)

And the purpose of VRO, to me, is to make it so I don't zerg rush things. Because the last time I played vanilla there's not enough power gap between a fighter, a corvette, and a destroyer. And I play without highways so VRO's engine balance is kind of a must.. if nothing else having no highways makes L (and XL with VRO) sized freighter make sense for long haul freight. I generally appreciate VRO's difficulty even when I get to the point where I'm guiding fleets of 100s of ships versus manually flying a destroyer to snipe a station to death.
Two things are certain: Death and Taxes. And I am not so sure about the former.

verdeboy2k
x4

Post by verdeboy2k » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 23:23

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 22:19
verdeboy2k wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 10:49
I normally try to keep my stations around 1000 workforce total, so usually 4ish production modules and ancillary modules.
Computronic Substrate require 1,500 workers each module.
I suppose I should clarify that I try to keep my Commonwealth factories about that level. My terran ones are massive beasts just due to stuff like that.
Two things are certain: Death and Taxes. And I am not so sure about the former.

Abaws
x4

Post by Abaws » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 00:35

TBH, When it gets worse. I save my game, and start selling everything I own. Batch after batch.... for me its usually repeating orders that cant be completed. Like wares not selling or something, and having 40 traders just shuffling those two orders they cant complete messes things up. Same with miners... Having 100 of them trying to dock at the same station at the same time.

Just sell everything and see if its better.

drhay53
x4

Post by drhay53 » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 06:41

I saw you mentioned mules earlier. I am an author on the current popular version on steam/nexus. I will just say that for various reasons we are not particularly friendly with your cpu cycles. Partly its some of the old code, partly some of the new, and partly just we've lost some drive to refactor major bits of the code.

Anyway if you're using mules, the biggest thing you can do is try to keep the trade space of each mule as low as you reasonably can; that means limiting max jumps and/or wares and/or supplier factions via the supply mule param. Trade rules sadly do not reduce the trade space, because we can't filter them out until after we've already pulled the offers to evaluate.

Something like 4-6 jumps with player only supplies for all supply mules can really help keep them from hammering your cpu.

Return to “X4: Foundations”