Will there be any new, non-DLC ships in 4.0?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Will there be any new, non-DLC ships in 4.0?

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 00:58

Will we have new ships, like we had in 3.0?

I'd really like to see more variety for Xenon and Pirates, plus missing 4+ gun heavy fighter for Teladi.

Artean
x4

Re: Will there be any new, non-DLC ships in 4.0?

Post by Artean » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 01:14

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 00:58

I'd really like to see more variety for Xenon and Pirates, plus missing 4+ gun heavy fighter for Teladi.
One can only hope. We desperately need more ships to choose from!
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

xant
x3ap

Post by xant » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 01:19

Given the time needed to make a ship and the fact that they need to make quite a few of them for the DLC, I heavily doubt that Egosoft has the resources to pull that one off. At least in 4.0

But there's hope: we could still see additional ships in something like 4.5, like we did with 3.5 and the Aux ships.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 07:27

If they could give the construction ships unique models for each race it would be nice. Even if these are just surface detail and minor loadout changes.

So far these stand out the most since they are pretty much identical to those in XR, where their strange shape was needed to support their mechanics.

Wehrwolf_10
x4

Post by Wehrwolf_10 » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 09:35

I think it would be more logical to release several expansions.
Just appreciate the amount of this work.

1. "Reinforcement Pack 1 DLC" (If Big)
Argon: +1 Destroyer XL, 1 Trader XL, 1 Frigate L;
Teladi: +1 Destroyer XL, 1 Trader XL, 1 Frigate M;
Paranid: +1 Destroyer XL, 2 Frigate L;

2. "Reinforcement Pack 2 DLC" (If Medium)
Xenon: +1 Destroyer L, 1 Trader L, 1 Frigate M;
Khaak: + 1 Frigate L;
Pirates: +2 Fighters S, 1 Frigate L;

3. "Reinforcement Pack 3 DLC" (If Small)
Split: +1 Destroyer XL, 1 Assault Transport M, 1 Corvette M;

4. "Reinforcement Pack 4 DLC" (If Small)
For Terrans

5. "Reinforcement Pack 5 DLC" (If Small)
For Borons

xant
x3ap

Post by xant » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 20:51

As I understood it, it is not a matter of just doing or not doing it, but a lack of manpower. Egosoft can't make more ship than they currently do. I don't remember the exact number, but no more than two or three people at max are working on ships; with the additional information lino gave us, that it takes around 3 person-weeks to 3 person-months (for big ships like the Xenon I) to make a single ship, it is not hard to imagine that there's simply no capacity for giving us additional ships at will.

I also wish for a bigger selection, true, but they have their hands full with making complete shipsets for every new race they introduce. That's why they have to cut corners (i.e. identical constructors) to fulfill their quota. So I'd think we can expect more free non-dlc ships once the last shipset (Boron) is done. Around 5.0 mid-2022 maybe?

On that note I have to say that delaying CoH was probably a good idea, as it gives Egosoft time to add more ships to the expansion. If the files from the beta are any indication, one faction definitely needs far more ships. But at least now I know what the ship designers will do with their time over the next few months. :)

So no, it is unlikely that we will see any ships with 4.0 beyond what the DLC has to offer.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 21:04

I am still hoping that there will be an unique ship as Plot reward......
https://youtu.be/VEUhklVmEOw Best X4-Video ever

xant
x3ap

Post by xant » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 21:21

EGO_Aut wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 21:04
Both of us do, but Egosoft already answered this question in a stream: ships that aren't widely used in the universe (meaning unique ships) are of low priority. :(

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Sun, 22. Nov 20, 15:56

EGO_Aut wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 21:04
this was my biggest disappointment

capitalduty

Post by capitalduty » Sun, 22. Nov 20, 21:35

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 00:58

I really would love this, my wish is we get maybe the infamous Xenon Q enemy, mooore pirate ships variants (flame paintjob on those please). Maybe new medium and heavy drones types for drone carriers?...your Teladi heavy fighter...those in a free update.

But for a new ships only DLC I would love to have againg old and powerful big guns (XL battleships)

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Tue, 24. Nov 20, 02:49

Personally I'd like to see Teladi ships getting some love.

For now they are by far the weakest ships and there is absolutely no reason (other than RP) to use them over other choices.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 24. Nov 20, 07:20

Warnoise wrote:
Tue, 24. Nov 20, 02:49
Personally I'd like to see Teladi ships getting some love.

For now they are by far the weakest ships and there is absolutely no reason (other than RP) to use them over other choices.
Even though U agree that Teladi ships need some "love" they do have a use... they have the biggest cargo holds by far, especially the Sentinels. Give them ARG Military MK3 engines and ARG Flak turrets and they become survivable as Merchant Fleet...

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 24. Nov 20, 09:32

Artean wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 01:14
We desperately need more ships to choose from!
Warnoise wrote:
... there is absolutely no reason (other than RP) to use them over other choices.
:gruebel:
If there are already more ships than one wants to choose from, then having more of them will make no difference.

Tuning existing ships could make sense. How do you shrink a fully loaded cargo-bay safely?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

rene6740
x4

Post by rene6740 » Tue, 24. Nov 20, 18:42

jlehtone wrote:
Tue, 24. Nov 20, 09:32
Artean wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 01:14
We desperately need more ships to choose from!
Warnoise wrote:
... there is absolutely no reason (other than RP) to use them over other choices.
:gruebel:
If there are already more ships than one wants to choose from, then having more of them will make no difference.

Tuning existing ships could make sense. How do you shrink a fully loaded cargo-bay safely?
Tuning of existing ships will not happen. Devs stated that already on several occasions. The only time they did it was when everyone complained about the ridiculous small cargo bay of Split miners. People have been complaining about diversifying ships properties since release and nothing changed.

And as to how shrink a fully loaded cargo bay: the same way when setting the storage of a ware for station from 50000 to 1. the ware just remains in the Storage until it’s gone. Or just throw it away...

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 24. Nov 20, 21:17

rene6740 wrote:
Tue, 24. Nov 20, 18:42
And as to how shrink a fully loaded cargo bay: the same way when setting the storage of a ware for station from 50000 to 1. the ware just remains in the Storage until it’s gone. Or just throw it away...
It was so much "better" in pre-2.0 X3R:
1. Xenon K bails
2. It has gear in cargobay
3. More than the size of cargobay
4. Size check is performed
5. Game performs clean CTD
:roll:
rene6740 wrote:
Tue, 24. Nov 20, 18:42
The only time they did it was when everyone complained ...
That is the good part. Luckily, we are almost never everyone.

I presume that the ones wishing for more ships are (mostly) not the same, who consider most current ships useless.

Hence, the developers are quite free to cherry-pick doable tasks.
(And, like Old Nick, can deliver what was asked not what was desired. :twisted: )
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X4: Foundations”