Anyone else use inferior equipment on ships...

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

spankahontis
x4

Re: Anyone else use inferior equipment on ships...

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 16:12

dtpsprt wrote:
Sat, 12. Sep 20, 03:47

You can get decent, even good ones in mods... As for the quality of paintjobs in vanilla, I think that the artist who did the first ones, for some reason, left the project and they had to cobble something up themselves the programmers... Probably this also explains the "change" in Split (see above remark) and the abomination that the Argons became. Gramston in his mod(s) proved that the X Rebirth characters (at least) could be changed into X4 and not only the Teladi... So, either the Egosoft guys became blind or lost every sense of taste or I'm at least partially right... My problem is that they do not admit it, if they got into a tight spot, I'm sure that many of us (me first) would step up for free (OK, maybe a mention of the name) just out of love for the game (and racist hate against hybrid incest Neanderthals).

I had noticed the sudden change in characters shortly after Split Vendetta came out.
They looked like Cro-Magnum humans, thick lipped, square jawed with massive foreheads.. Something has gone terribly wrong since 3.0?
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 21:36

spankahontis wrote:
Wed, 16. Sep 20, 16:12
I had noticed the sudden change in characters shortly after Split Vendetta came out.
They looked like Cro-Magnum humans, thick lipped, square jawed with massive foreheads.. Something has gone terribly wrong since 3.0?
What is absolutely sure is that the artist that created the X Rebirth characters (that were present until v 3.0 and Split DLC) is not the same who created these abominations. You can find the Rebirth - pre X3 characters in another mod (I absolutely love having Yisha Terran driving me around)

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Fri, 18. Sep 20, 05:56

spankahontis wrote:
dtpsprt wrote:

You can get decent, even good ones in mods... As for the quality of paintjobs in vanilla, I think that the artist who did the first ones, for some reason, left the project and they had to cobble something up themselves the programmers... Probably this also explains the "change" in Split (see above remark) and the abomination that the Argons became. Gramston in his mod(s) proved that the X Rebirth characters (at least) could be changed into X4 and not only the Teladi... So, either the Egosoft guys became blind or lost every sense of taste or I'm at least partially right... My problem is that they do not admit it, if they got into a tight spot, I'm sure that many of us (me first) would step up for free (OK, maybe a mention of the name) just out of love for the game (and racist hate against hybrid incest Neanderthals).

Apparently the game uses some fancy modelling system to autogenerate faces etc.

I think as a joke someone slipped an image of a Gorilla or Baboon into the sample database though ...

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 18. Sep 20, 07:35

RodentofDoom wrote:
Fri, 18. Sep 20, 05:56
That may be the case... then again Egosoft contradicts themselves as far as the lore is concerned.

In XBTF, XTension and X2, all Argons had only 4 surnames. It was a bit funny but it was explained, somehow, by the fact that they were the survivors of the Antigone, A.P. Gunner's ship that lure the Xenon out of Earth. Small gene pool, small variety of surnames, makes absolute sense.

This changed, somewhat in X3 and totally in X3TC and X3AP (the surnames) for no apparent reason. After all, they had just come to "reunite" (in war!!!) with the Terrrans who, of course, had a huge gene pool, so family names too.

In X Rebirth (after the Gate Shutdown) the Argons have similar faces (for a good reason) but the Terrans (Canterans) look exactly like them... Surnames in a wide variety again for both Argon and Terrans, the main character (player) is not even a Gardna but an Otani!!! In X Rebirth also, Argons were responsible of security (guards) in Argon, Teladi and Canteran space!!! (Just as they are in charge of landings in all stations in X4, just a bad case of copy paste).

In X4 the Argons have the incest affected faces (though in the releases up to 3.0 they didn't, they looked just like the Argons/Terrans of X Rebirth) and they all look alike as expected with a variety of surnames again.
RodentofDoom wrote:
I think as a joke someone slipped an image of a Gorilla or Baboon into the sample database though ...
If such a thing happened this someone has to be found and reported to WWF for making bad jokes on poor defenceless animals. That said, I'd rather go to bed with a baboon or a gorilla than Reen Omara!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 18. Sep 20, 10:18

Lets see, the question was:
Anyone else use inferior equipment on ships just because they look better?
Is crew "equipment"? Is there factual skill difference between a baboon and Saya Kho?

Then again, the question was written in two parts:
Title: "Anyone else use inferior equipment on ships"
Body: "just because they look better?"

Is that just a way to ask What looks better? or Are your choices dictated by visual details?

The "Anyone else use inferior equipment on ships?" alone is a different question.
It is easy to say 'yes' to it. (e.g. XL Thrusters, although Mk2 is hardly "inferior" to Mk3 in absolute scale.)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

IronSquid501
x4

Post by IronSquid501 » Fri, 18. Sep 20, 17:47

I always use the parts from the race I'm playing regardless of whether they're best, and instead work my tactics around that race's shortcomings.
AKA Neil the Grass Titan

terodil
x4

Post by terodil » Fri, 18. Sep 20, 23:08

We need a transmog system.

:lol:
My X3 mods: Ship Autoclaimer - Ship Services - Friendlier War Sectors - in development: Logistics Centre

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 15:30

RodentofDoom wrote:
spankahontis wrote:
dtpsprt wrote:

Like a drop of Monkey faeces in the Genepool.
I'm surprised "Going on a quest for fire" isn't a mission you can take on now? :mrgreen:
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 16:20

spankahontis wrote:
Sat, 19. Sep 20, 15:30
Like a drop of Monkey faeces in the Genepool.
I'm surprised "Going on a quest for fire" isn't a mission you can take on now? :mrgreen:
[/quote]

Nahhhh... that's a quest for the one that designed them.... Back to elementary school you i***t!!!

:evil: :lol: :evil: :lol:

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 19:00

There needs to be a down side if using a non faction component on that factions ship!
Compatibility between races is silly, yet as it is, is easy.
If using the wrong engines, there needs to be a penalty! Say the thing cuts out once in a while! Due to connective glitches!
Or a weapon ought to jamb, from inaccurate configuration issues.
May be the Faction who owns the offending component has built in a self destruct mechanism.
That would make more sense!

So to get an Argon engine to work on a Teladi ship, you would need specific bypass protocols that are hard to come by, thus making it more of a mission to get the two to be compatible. This would add more awkwardness and interest to this swopping stuff from faction different ships.
:)

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 19:27

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Sat, 19. Sep 20, 19:00
There needs to be a down side if using a non faction component on that factions ship!
If using the wrong engines, there needs to be a penalty! Say the thing cuts out once in a while! Due to connective glitches!
May be the Faction who owns the offending component has built in a self destruct mechanism.

So to get an Argon engine to work on a Teladi ship, you would need specific bypass protocols that are hard to come by, thus making it more of a mission to get the two to be compatible. This would add more awkwardness and interest to this swopping stuff from faction different ships.
Valid options but, if implemented, I'm afraid they would just add more grind in the game than content.

Then, there is the issue of lore. Terracorp (Kyle Brennan) in conjunction with Bala Gi (That's a Boron by the way) were the designers and distributors of Space Ship Engines throughout the Commonwealth (even though former X titles did not go into much details about the ship's engines and rightfully so, we are loosing the forest searching for the tree here), so as far as engines at least are concerned there is a common denominator that make them interchangeable.

aard00
x4

Post by aard00 » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 19:51

dtpsprt wrote:
Sat, 19. Sep 20, 19:27
Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Sat, 19. Sep 20, 19:00

Valid options but, if implemented, I'm afraid they would just add more grind in the game than content.

Then, there is the issue of lore. Terracorp (Kyle Brennan) in conjunction with Bala Gi (That's a Boron by the way) were the designers and distributors of Space Ship Engines throughout the Commonwealth (even though former X titles did not go into much details about the ship's engines and rightfully so, we are loosing the forest searching for the tree here), so as far as engines at least are concerned there is a common denominator that make them interchangeable.
Then there is the issue of a Teladi trying to say: suspect the spark plugs.

You'd need a face mask just to hear him out.

But I could live with it if the plugs had (decent) paint mods :)

Return to “X4: Foundations”