Ship and weapon variety

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Randal954

Ship and weapon variety

Post by Randal954 » Sat, 19. Jan 19, 23:43

It's been probably 9 years since I played X3:TC and I was happy to see X4 was recently released. After playing about 40 hours I realized it has great potential but the devs are still working on many features. I have no doubt it will be fleshed out in no time.

In the meantime I turned back to Terran Conflict. After many hours of trading in my mercury, I bought my first fighter, a Buster, and realized it had not 1 but 6 weapon slots! I also don't have to give a hardpoint up to fire missiles. TC has so much more variety in ships, weapons, and the different configurations in weapons.

While I know that X4 will improve, I'm afraid the ship configurations will be stuck with limited weapon mounts and turret slots. It's easy to introduce more weapons, but probably harder to change ship basics (like number of turrets on a destroyer) for existing save games.

I'm interested in others thoughts on variety and where X4 might end up in six months? Thoughts from long time X fans?

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Ship and weapon variety

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 00:25

The weapons in X4 are OK, but could be better expanded with:
- racial variety between weapon types
- capship torpedo launchers
- railguns
- flak artilery

No comment on turrets and capship weapons as they are currently FUBAR broken.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 00:50

Think it's worth noting that while the number of weapons is certainly limited compared to some of previous games there is a LOT of potential for fine-tuning them for personal preference with in-game modification of weapon characteristics (damage, rate of fire, range, projectile speed, cooling rate, etc).

Have found tinkering with the guns on my ship a highly enjoyable experience, an endless quest trying to get the guns on my ship 'just right' from a wide range of mutually exclusive modifications, some which introduce disadvantages along with the benefits (e.g. a cooling mod which also significantly increased rate of fire, though at the cost of reduced damage per shot).

Have been having a hell of a lot of fun with this aspect of the game, much more so than if there were a longer list of weapons but no way to alter them in-game.

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 01:17

Randal954 wrote:
Sat, 19. Jan 19, 23:43
It's been probably 9 years since I played X3:TC and I was happy to see X4 was recently released. After playing about 40 hours I realized it has great potential but the devs are still working on many features. I have no doubt it will be fleshed out in no time.

In the meantime I turned back to Terran Conflict. After many hours of trading in my mercury, I bought my first fighter, a Buster, and realized it had not 1 but 6 weapon slots! I also don't have to give a hardpoint up to fire missiles. TC has so much more variety in ships, weapons, and the different configurations in weapons.

While I know that X4 will improve, I'm afraid the ship configurations will be stuck with limited weapon mounts and turret slots. It's easy to introduce more weapons, but probably harder to change ship basics (like number of turrets on a destroyer) for existing save games.

I'm interested in others thoughts on variety and where X4 might end up in six months? Thoughts from long time X fans?
not to mention the epic ship models in X3 / AP / TC
Ill never ever get over these crap ship models
GCU Grey Area wrote:
Sun, 20. Jan 19, 00:50
Think it's worth noting that while the number of weapons is certainly limited compared to some of previous games there is a LOT of potential for fine-tuning them for personal preference with in-game modification of weapon characteristics (damage, rate of fire, range, projectile speed, cooling rate, etc).

Have found tinkering with the guns on my ship a highly enjoyable experience, an endless quest trying to get the guns on my ship 'just right' from a wide range of mutually exclusive modifications, some which introduce disadvantages along with the benefits (e.g. a cooling mod which also significantly increased rate of fire, though at the cost of reduced damage per shot).

Have been having a hell of a lot of fun with this aspect of the game, much more so than if there were a longer list of weapons but no way to alter them in-game.
You going to share some info as to what is working well ? and on what ship / weapon etc :) ? oh have you tried the turret speed? rotation thing I cant remember the name of it but does it help with accuracy ?

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 01:46

lordmuck wrote:
Sun, 20. Jan 19, 01:17
You going to share some info as to what is working well ? and on what ship / weapon etc :) ? oh have you tried the turret speed? rotation thing I cant remember the name of it but does it help with accuracy ?
Recommend projectile speed mods for turrets, particularly if you've got exceptional weapon mods available - among the hidden parameters they can also adjust rotation speed, range & damage. All 4 turrets (front: 2x Pulse, rear: 2x Shard) of my Gorgon Vanguard are configured that way. Makes them tolerably useful, not 100% hit rate, but still noticeably better than they started out.

For main guns using Ion Blaster (also modded primarily for projectile speed) & Shard. Been experimenting with a new mod on that gun this evening. Damage is currently up +28% & rate of fire +82%. Theoretically DPS is about 232% of base stats. Certainly hits like a truck, however cooling at present is only +8% & ideally prefer more cooling on a Shard (lovely gun but they do have a tendency to overheat quickly) so got a hard decision to make on whether to keep that gun as presently configured or reinstall it's mod.

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 04:54

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Sun, 20. Jan 19, 01:46
lordmuck wrote:
Sun, 20. Jan 19, 01:17
Recommend projectile speed mods for turrets, particularly if you've got exceptional weapon mods available - among the hidden parameters they can also adjust rotation speed, range & damage. All 4 turrets (front: 2x Pulse, rear: 2x Shard) of my Gorgon Vanguard are configured that way. Makes them tolerably useful, not 100% hit rate, but still noticeably better than they started out.

For main guns using Ion Blaster (also modded primarily for projectile speed) & Shard. Been experimenting with a new mod on that gun this evening. Damage is currently up +28% & rate of fire +82%. Theoretically DPS is about 232% of base stats. Certainly hits like a truck, however cooling at present is only +8% & ideally prefer more cooling on a Shard (lovely gun but they do have a tendency to overheat quickly) so got a hard decision to make on whether to keep that gun as presently configured or reinstall it's mod.
nice finds :) if you test more stuff gimme a shout :)

biological
x4

Post by biological » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 09:49

I myself will never get why the universe will disarm them selves having just afew turrets,while there under constant attack from zenon and khaak. I miss massive cap ships with tons of weapons.
As for the ships designed in x4 they are decent but there needs to be more variety. Bring back m1--m5 class system, it seems dumb down and doesn't fit the.game well.

Return to “X4: Foundations”