[4.20] BUG - Mission guidance stopping early during Xenon Incursion

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bazza
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri, 22. Aug 03, 09:49

Post by Bazza » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 11:18

Yep, same here. Same mission over and over and over. Would be great to get some proper feedback on this but boy.. Its like a ghost town around here.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

gapper4
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed, 12. Aug 09, 09:00

Post by gapper4 » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 09:23

Bazza wrote:Yep, same here. Same mission over and over and over. Would be great to get some proper feedback on this but boy.. Its like a ghost town around here.
I noticed the same thing. It's shocking how few people post here. I'd have thought every person with a VR headset would have bought this game. It's one of very few actual real games available in VR.

Bazza
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri, 22. Aug 03, 09:49

Post by Bazza » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 09:50

There's hardly any developer feedback so I think people gave up. Take this thread as an example. Simple question. Is the repeating mission a bug or intended? Well, still waiting for an answer.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
Posts: 10859
Joined: Sat, 9. Nov 02, 12:45

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 10:45

There will be an update soon with some improvements and fixes to the mission set.
SpoilerShow
The repeating missions are intended. There are two missions which can occur every now and again in Albion. There are several objectives which may appear during these missions e.g. collecting Xenon Components after the battles. Doing these and trying to keep allies alive will get you higher rewards and get you to the final variant sooner.
One of the improvements is adding guidance to the main mission which is only active when you're not taking part in one of the events. It will point to to Albion if you are not there and state that you need to wait for one of the events to happen. If you missed an event, it will state that it is still in the BBS.

gapper4
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed, 12. Aug 09, 09:00

Post by gapper4 » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 10:55

Xenon_Slayer wrote:There will be an update soon with some improvements and fixes to the mission set.
SpoilerShow
The repeating missions are intended. There are two missions which can occur every now and again in Albion. There are several objectives which may appear during these missions e.g. collecting Xenon Components after the battles. Doing these and trying to keep allies alive will get you higher rewards and get you to the final variant sooner.
One of the improvements is adding guidance to the main mission which is only active when you're not taking part in one of the events. It will point to to Albion if you are not there and state that you need to wait for one of the events to happen. If you missed an event, it will state that it is still in the BBS.
Thank you for the reply Xenon, that's good to know. Actually, now that you mention it, I was offered a mission at some point where I had to board a Xenon capital ship but Yisha told me that I needed an experienced boarding party to take it on. At the time, I didn't have an officer or marines and the mission simply... vanished. Fast forward several dozens of hours of gameplay and now I have a full complement of trained marines, including 4 Elites and 35 Veterans, in addition to a 5-star (all skills) officer, and the mission has not appeared again. Did I miss my chance or could it spawn again ?

While we're on the topic of mission, I've posted elsewhere that I've never seen a single craft mission except for the jumpdrive one offered in OL. I have at least some of the components for crafting Mk 5 shields and engine, and some spaceflies for the Mk.3 Repeater but the crafting missions have never appeared. Is it simply an RNG issue or is there a bug there too ?

Bazza
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri, 22. Aug 03, 09:49

Post by Bazza » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 15:03

Xenon_Slayer wrote:There will be an update soon with some improvements and fixes to the mission set.

One of the improvements is adding guidance to the main mission which is only active when you're not taking part in one of the events. It will point to to Albion if you are not there and state that you need to wait for one of the events to happen. If you missed an event, it will state that it is still in the BBS.
Thanks for the response. Much appreciated :)
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
Posts: 10859
Joined: Sat, 9. Nov 02, 12:45

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 15:13

gapper4 wrote:Did I miss my chance or could it spawn again ?
It should spawn again. You do have to be in Albion to get these messages though. As I said, there were a number of fixes and I can't be sure if one of those impacts the visibility of the final mission. When you send your savegame for that other bug report, I can take a look.

Mavo Pi
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31

Post by Mavo Pi » Thu, 26. Oct 17, 23:25

Today I had another issue. While doing a patrol I got the Xenon I spotted mission and accepted it. I finished the patrol first (was on the last spot) but a few seconds after finishing the patrol I get reputation with heart of albion and the Xenon I mission was gone and with it the main mission for the Xenon Incursion. I took a look in the log but there was only the beginning of xenon I spotted and the end of the patrol listed but no other events. There was no plot mission in the active missions anymore. After that I reloaded an earlier save and have done some more Xenon mission but got no Xenon I yet.
"Willkommen auf dieser Yaki Station fühl dich wohl du bist unter Freunden"
"Würden sie sich bitte etwas beeilen, meine Tentakel trocknen aus" :D
Emcall AL-Plugin

Bazza
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri, 22. Aug 03, 09:49

Post by Bazza » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 06:40

I'd much prefer a main plot that illustrated the use of the various game mechanics and steadily walked you through things like hacking, station building and all the other nuances etc etc. but in 100+ hours of gameplay I learnt a big fat zero from any supposed main plot. If you are new to the XR universe and game mechanics, the main plot is nay on useless for learning anything.

In fact I pretty much conclude its a complete waste of time. 100+ hours and barely anything useful... Just repetitive xenon missions.

I have to come to the forums to learn the basic game mechanics.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

User avatar
Franc Kaos
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri, 14. Jul 17, 12:12

Post by Franc Kaos » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 08:10

Funny thing is the original main campaign did all that you expected (and was a good story) and they ripped the entire thing out (whilst still charging full price for basically half the game).

This fact isn't mentioned anywhere (that I noticed) and you can easily burn thru the two hour refund period (I did) before realising.

gapper4
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed, 12. Aug 09, 09:00

Post by gapper4 » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 08:46

While I also find the campaign pretty basic, let's not forget that XRVR is Egosoft's first attempt at a VR game. I'm personally very happy to support this and, hopefully, what they're learning here will eventually help them make X4VR, which is the game we all want after all.

Also, if you really want the main campaign, the Vanilla Recall collection will let you play it, although it will break some aspects XRVR -- such as the secret crafting missions.

Bazza
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri, 22. Aug 03, 09:49

Post by Bazza » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 10:13

I supported it by buying it. I posted feedback on the forums. i think I lived up to my side of the contract when it comes to Early Access. I enjoy the title for what it offers but lets face it, the main campaign is a bit of a joke tbh.

There is not likely to ever be an X4VR From what I have heard / read so my focus is on the title I already paid for.... XRVR. Exactly where egosofts focus is on the other hand is anyone's guess.

Having said that. Its a good game. It now runs well on my setup. The latest patch really gave me a great performance boost even though there was nothing directly obvious in the patch notes other than trimming down asteroid numbers. But it runs miles better even in zones with minimal asteroids for some reason. So the last patch was greatly appreciated. Not only that, it has plenty of atmosphere for me and I love flying around in the X-Universe in VR.

But... As per the topic of this thread... The main campaign may as well not exist because its just not worth the bother at this point. I would hope it would be fleshed out better, but I think this EA release is about bug fixes only...not really fleshing out or adding anything of any real substance to what we already have.... which for me is a bit disappointing especially in terms of main campaign.
Last edited by Bazza on Fri, 27. Oct 17, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

User avatar
X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
Posts: 20836
Joined: Sun, 2. Apr 06, 16:38

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 10:37

Franc Kaos wrote:Funny thing is the original main campaign did all that you expected (and was a good story) and they ripped the entire thing out (whilst still charging full price for basically half the game).

This fact isn't mentioned anywhere (that I noticed) and you can easily burn thru the two hour refund period (I did) before realising.
XR VR Early Access FAQ wrote:14. What game content is in XR VR Edition?

XR VR Edition is based on Home of Light and also includes all gameplay features from The Teladi Outpost. So most features from the very latest X Rebirth should also be included in XR VR Edition. However, the game is designed to take full advantage of Virtual Reality and this means that we had to make a lot of changes also to gameplay elements. Here is a quick list of some of the more obvious differences:
- The universe was modified. This affects the density of stations, the highways and many other things.
- There is no external camera: XR VR Edition is always played from cockpit perspective or 1st person on platforms.
- Platform gameplay is reduced: While you can still leave your ship and walk around stations, the need for this is much reduced.
- New missions and tutorial
- The X Rebirth original plot is replaced by a tutorial to learn the game and a series of missions. The later storylines from X Rebirth 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 including the addition of SETA, jumpdrive, weapon mods and much more are all included too.

Most importantly of course the whole UI is changed. As the launch trailer shows, the game can be controlled in a very unique way with VR controllers. See also the images in this gallery.
(Important part underlined.)
Besteht Interesse an einem Nopileos-Hörbuch?

Farnhams Legende und Nopileos als E-Books!

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

"If it's not impossible, there must be a way to do it." - Sir Nicholas Winton

gapper4
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed, 12. Aug 09, 09:00

Post by gapper4 » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 10:38

Bazza wrote:I supported it by buying it. I posted feedback on the forums. i think I lived up to my side of the contract when it comes to Early Access. I enjoy the title for what it offers but lets face it, the main campaign is a bit of a joke tbh.

There is not likely to ever be an X4VR From what I have heard / read so my focus is on the title I already paid for.... XRVR. Exactly where egosofts focus is on the other hand is anyone's guess.
Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that your criticism was unfair and I agree that the "campaign" in XRVR is, to say the least, short and rather flimsy (rebuild the Skunk, shoot some Xenon, and that's pretty much it). I'm also not happy with some things, beyond the poor story. There are lots of visual artifacts, the controls are a fairly basic port (point and click instead of using finger presses on buttons), and fleet management is quite awkward (although that's true of all X games, not just XRVR). Still, it's a good first attempt and we should encourage the devs to make it better.

Also, why I can't speak for Egosoft's plans, I think that X4VR will be made. Egosoft said that VR wouldn't make it at launch but they didn't exclude the possibility and VR in general is rapidly expanding. A bunch of new VR headsets have just hit the market, entry prices are tumbling, graphics cards are becoming more and more powerful (next year's Volta from NVidia should give another very significant boost to performance), and space games in VR are just such a natural match that I find it hard to believe that a major title like X4 wouldn't be ported.

Bazza
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri, 22. Aug 03, 09:49

Post by Bazza » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 10:47

gapper4 wrote:
Bazza wrote:I supported it by buying it. I posted feedback on the forums. i think I lived up to my side of the contract when it comes to Early Access. I enjoy the title for what it offers but lets face it, the main campaign is a bit of a joke tbh.

There is not likely to ever be an X4VR From what I have heard / read so my focus is on the title I already paid for.... XRVR. Exactly where egosofts focus is on the other hand is anyone's guess.
Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that your criticism was unfair and I agree that the "campaign" in XRVR is, to say the least, short and rather flimsy (rebuild the Skunk, shoot some Xenon, and that's pretty much it). I'm also not happy with some things, beyond the poor story. There are lots of visual artifacts, the controls are a fairly basic port (point and click instead of using finger presses on buttons), and fleet management is quite awkward (although that's true of all X games, not just XRVR). Still, it's a good first attempt and we should encourage the devs to make it better.

Also, why I can't speak for Egosoft's plans, I think that X4VR will be made. Egosoft said that VR wouldn't make it at launch but they didn't exclude the possibility and VR in general is rapidly expanding. A bunch of new VR headsets have just hit the market, entry prices are tumbling, graphics cards are becoming more and more powerful (next year's Volta from NVidia should give another very significant boost to performance), and space games in VR are just such a natural match that I find it hard to believe that a major title like X4 wouldn't be ported.
Just so you know... I edited my post whilst you were posting although the essence is the same and no apologies necessary as I did not take any offence :)

I would love an X4VR but its going to be hard to make the content compatible. I don't think the engine is up to providing the same rich content for both pancake and VR versions and I doubt they'd want to support 2 different content versions simultaneously. Just look at XRVR as an example. It has been very much cut down from the vanilla XR for assumedly performance reasons, so based on that alone, I find an X4VR highly unlikely.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

Post Reply

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”