[4.20] ISSUE - motion sickness, nausea, locomotion, teleportation

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Boeng01
x4

Post by Boeng01 » Sat, 12. Aug 17, 02:34

dertien wrote:in XRVR I have the choice to wander around stations should I wish to do so with said mod - In X-Rebirth Vanilla, the choice is made by the game, and it quckly becomes a chore, because all station interiors are identical copies of identical copies of identical copies. The layouts change but everyone went to the same architect for decoration.

For example, if every system AL/OL/MA/HOL/TO had just ONE type of station in every sector which would just be used for docking - a kind of racialized business center per sector, among the other factories/stations present there, the need for 'performance cuts' on stations would not be a point of discussion.

A good example is one of the Lost Sector's gamestarts where you have to fly out of the hangar... but then each with its own external/internal identity and layout depending on who's boss in that sector.

For example - PMC with yellow and white trim and maybe a bit opulent and art deco style on the interior. Each pirate faction with their own style - The Yaki were inherently different from the other pirates in X3, so where their stations for example. They could go much further than ED has done with it's different flavors of station interiors.

Meaning... we need more variation in smaller quantities. There are too many dockpoints on every station type to which the Skunk can latch on to which can impossibly be given its own personal identity.

Dockpoints on factories could be just be a landing platform with a PMC/HOA banner floating on a pole/ with teleloaders operating boxes in the background...again with different interior trim and company colors....

Same with all the ships flying around which should sport different liveries depending on who's corporation they are flying for. It's fine to have only Volvo's (rahanas), Scania's(lyraneas), Mercs(titurels), Man's(sequanas) and Isuzu's(Midirs) as long as they all clearly show - with different paint - who they are working for.
I really like most of this ideas, even when i'm sure that they will never make it into XRVR. But to give those hints to Ego for X4 is definitely the right thing. Right now I'm visiting the stations just for searching for trade updaters, since nothing else interesting is in there. And yes, this gets quite boring after the 10th same looking station :D

Without getting into this too deep in this thread, in my oppinion the amount of dockpoints could stay like it is. Flying around a massive station with some miles/km in lenght and height that has only one little spot to dock at while all those private and trade ships going in and out all those ramps would be quite strange and not immersive at all. And to have one 'style' for those dockpoints of one given station would be quite ok, since its the same station. But to have more variety between the stations, different colorschemes, layouts and decorations and, of course, the different paintings on all those ships to see the owner/company they belong to would add a lot to the believability of the game world.

The whole nausea problem is and will surely be one of the big things all VR game developers have to find solutions for. Maybe a combination of different help options which can be chosen by the player will do it for a while. Maybe there will never be the one-fits-all solution to trick the brains of all of us.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Wed, 16. Aug 17, 12:41

dertien wrote:...

The solution they opted for in Hotfix 2 was to reduce the sensitivity of the x-axis for platform movement.

An unfortunate side effect of this is that this has steepened the gauss curve which defines the position of your thumbstick being centered (0) and it being completely to the left or the right +1 or -1

So the rotation speed was reduced; which helps, but the player's control over your rotation speed (the amount of X-sway left or right of the stick to define rotation speed) has also diminished - because the sweet spot is smaller; and that is making rotational speed control very difficult.
Ahh, so thats why turning on platforms seems completely borked. I'm one of the lucky ones who seems to be able to tolerate pretty much anything in VR without nausea. I hope we can get some option for turning sensitivity because as it stands, platform navigation with the trackpad is borked. I can hardly turn. Its way too slow.

I think they may as well make station activity menu driven just like elite dangerous.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

eddieg
x4

Post by eddieg » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 17:30

Bazza wrote:
I think they may as well make station activity menu driven just like elite dangerous.
This! Really! I enjoyed X3 because of flying in space and doing stuff. Don't get me wrong I'm not 100% against getting off ship and walking around... it has merits, but here for a VR edition, it would be really understood to not have this and focus on where VR shines best - SITTING DOWN (flying in space)

thaine

Post by thaine » Wed, 23. Aug 17, 21:01

eddieg wrote:
Bazza wrote:
This! Really! I enjoyed X3 because of flying in space and doing stuff. Don't get me wrong I'm not 100% against getting off ship and walking around... it has merits, but here for a VR edition, it would be really understood to not have this and focus on where VR shines best - SITTING DOWN (flying in space)
+1 on both points

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Wed, 23. Aug 17, 21:04

thaine wrote:
eddieg wrote:
Bazza wrote:
+1 on both points
Perhaps they could go one step further and do it like Freelancer: Have discrete locations that you can visit and get an overview of, rather than just walking to them. Their interior assets would still get use, only now they wouldnt need to worry about things being traversable on foot.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

Reprisal
x4

Post by Reprisal » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 08:29

For games like Subnautica and X Rebirth, I've found that using a bar/shop stool style chair works the best. Don't use the controllers to turn, just spin on the chair.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 12:10

My solution was to look where I intend to go not where I am travelling ... look well ahead......

SamuraiProgrammer
x4

Post by SamuraiProgrammer » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 23:27

Just in case the devs aren't able to read the entire internet :(

I came across this a few months ago...

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/reduce-vr ... tual-nose/

From what I gather, this involves drawing your nose where your eyes would expect to see it.

If it is deemed to be a valid possible solution, perhaps, it can be a toggle in the player options... those who suffer from motion sickness can turn it on.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 17:09

Ok so I thought that my idea of the aperture gizmo was original.

In fact it is already implemented in another VR game, and it works brilliantly:

For those of you who have Sublevel Zero, you can try it out. On the main menu screen you can choose the option called "vr comfort calibrator".

You can set it to different levels (off, low, normal, high, ultra) - the 'normal' setting is exactly the thing we would need reduce motion sickness while walking on platforms while remaining in a seated position and use the mouse to point our nose as where to go.

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”