[BUG-Update] Lod,texture or lighting misaligment bug - VIVE vs Oculus

Post by dertien » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 18:29

Harware: Oculus Rift
Settings all (from low to ultra)

Ingame system:

Concealed Hideout Energy array.

Steps to reproduce:

- Launch new game "free start"
- Fly to concealed hideout in the Albion spawn zone and fly to the Energy Array in Concealed Hideout.
- Park the Skunk approximately like in the screenshot facing away from the highway and towards the background with the broken planet.
- Keep your eyes focused on the tubular structure on the right side.
- Move your head left/right like watching a game of tennis, it might even be visible holding your view steady ahead with both eyes open.

The impression is that you've just become cross-eyed. Both eyes see a different picture, although they should see the same. It doesn't seem very pronounced in the screenshot, the effect is very bad in the HMD.

Not sure if it's related to Unitrader's post:

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=395734

Here is a screenshot of where to fly to.

EDIT:
The same happens when opening the slideout monitor while parked next to a station and then looking at the structure; although it is less pronounced.

Harware: VIVE
Settings all (from low to ultra)

The issue is present with the VIVE as well, with one big difference. it is not eye dependent. What this means is this:

While in the Oculus, two different LODs / Lights are projected in the left and right lens - making it so that both eyes see something different causing the nauseating crosseye effect explained above....

The issue is also present in the VIVE, but is visible on both lenses at the same time, meaning, it's not nauseating at all just . Both LOD / lights do still swap out when you move the HMD from side to side, but it's in sync, while on the Oculus, it's not.
Last edited by dertien on Tue, 8. Aug 17, 18:57, edited 2 times in total.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Tue, 8. Aug 17, 12:49

This can also be observed when looking at the sides of the exterior hull of the Arawn Freedom Carrier when getting close which is spawned near the "empty space" shipyard in the 'Free Play' gamestart spawn sector.

I'll post additional locations on the stations and ships that relate to the issue. I hope the devs will be able to find a way to sort this one out. I cannot make any screenshots of this unfortunately it's a VR thing only.

I'm testing on oculus, but will test with VIVE as well to see if the effect is an issue there as well.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Tue, 8. Aug 17, 17:48

Update: Tested with the VIVE also, findings in first post

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 22. Sep 17, 15:48

see also https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=396631

As described in that other post, I'm having problems reproducing it.

@Dertien: Could you please also mail me a save & screenshot (with matching .txt) file so I have the exact correct position where it should occur, maybe I'll be more lucky reproducing it with your examples.

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”