[MOD] Tactical Map

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 20:25

I've uploaded 1.1 just now - see the OP for the list of changes. I recommend deleting both existing folders before extracting the new ones. :)

The jump button is untested, so anyone with a jumpdrive please let me know whether or not it works properly. It doesn't make use of kickstarter fuel in the player's inventory, but basic jump/abort hopefully works.
Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:Restricting the view to commandable ships sounds like it could be a good idea. As empires grow I'd imagine a lot of games will have stations, and we can assign patrols to their Defence Officers if we'd want those not in the list (or vice versa).

Thinking about this a bit more, could station icons operate as extend/collapse button for their assigned ships in their sector map? A bit like how you neatly re-purposed the "+" icons. Still, if it's a faff, the idea above of just hiding assigned ships still sounds like an improvement.
Extend button for stations does sound like a good idea - the cell is just blank of course right now. And that leaves only stations and commandable ships being in the view by default. I'll try to have this in for the next version.

Edit: I've just realised, if we assume (reasonably) that subordinate ships will often be in a different zone than the station, they won't be folded into the station often. So I think I'll play with subordinates just not displayed for a while, and see if it annoys me too much. ;)

Informer
x4

Post by Informer » Fri, 29. Sep 17, 20:11

Cool stuff, I like the tactical map and using it a lot in my game :)
Keep up the good work.

Greetzzz
Information is power. But like all power, there are those who want to keep it for themselves (Aaron Swartz you will live forever)

Informer
x4

Post by Informer » Sat, 30. Sep 17, 01:13

I did try the new version today, and this is just awesome. I had no problems with the map after playing 2 hours. Also jump drive did work great.
I hope you keep this mod updated, if any updates come for XR. I already used to this tactical map, and cannot imagine to play on the vanilla map again. It makes the ship so much easier to control.
Good good job m8
:D :D :D :D
Information is power. But like all power, there are those who want to keep it for themselves (Aaron Swartz you will live forever)

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sat, 30. Sep 17, 01:40

Looking forward to testing tomorrow :)

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sun, 1. Oct 17, 12:17

Sorry .. not much to report, it just works flawlessly.
Grid button allows attack of friendlies.... Jumpdrive works just fine vanilla or (modded) Euclids Jumpdrive

Maybe Sparky who is a bit more analytical may find/suggest something but for me it just works..
:)

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 02:52

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:Looking forward to testing tomorrow :)
Sorry I didn't get around to this yet - still on my to-do list though.

A.Persyn
x3tc

Bug

Post by A.Persyn » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 13:37

When in the tactical zone map, selecting an object then DETAILS then PLOT COURSE then GUIDANCE or FOLLOW, it doesn't work. No mission objective box and no autopilot. It works fine in the sector map.

Also, the radial menu changes in this are incompatible with CWIR which uses the same menu for launching probes. Only broken in the zone map not the sector map.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 08:05

I'm very pleased to hear it's working as a replacement for the vanilla map for people ;) I will definitely keep it updated with new versions of XR. I've also been working on some new shiny stuff for it which should be ready in a couple of days. I haven't forgotten Sparky's request, which I'll do after that.
A.Persyn wrote:When in the tactical zone map, selecting an object then DETAILS then PLOT COURSE then GUIDANCE or FOLLOW, it doesn't work. No mission objective box and no autopilot. It works fine in the sector map.

Also, the radial menu changes in this are incompatible with CWIR which uses the same menu for launching probes. Only broken in the zone map not the sector map.
I've noticed as well that sometimes "plot course" doesn't seem to do anything. I personally doubt this mod has an effect on course plotting done through the builtin object menu, but you never know. I'll look into it. (Edit: Looks like I was naughty and didn't convert stuff properly when switching to object menu. Fix will be in next update.)

About CWIR conflict, this mod doesn't do anything to the radial menus themselves. The only patching done to MainMenu.xml targets open_conversation_menu elements specifically. There's a chance that even this causes some conflict, so I'll have a look, but see if another of your mods might be doing it.

Informer
x4

Re: Bug

Post by Informer » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 15:20

A.Persyn wrote:When in the tactical zone map, selecting an object then DETAILS then PLOT COURSE then GUIDANCE or FOLLOW, it doesn't work. No mission objective box and no autopilot. It works fine in the sector map.

Yeah I can confirm it to that the plot cource/guidaance/follow isn't working from the tactial map.

Thanks for the work MegaJohnny
Greetzzz

Zlisten

Post by Zlisten » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 12:10

How delete thise mod?

Informer
x4

Post by Informer » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 15:22

Hello MegaJohnny

When I go to the "my Property menu" and select a ship, and then click on "show map" the tactical map appears, but when I hit the "back" button in the tactical map, for going back to "my property" menu, it goes directly back to the game. Would it be possible that I get back in the "my property"menu?
When I want to check many ships with the "show map" button, every time I have to select the "my property" menu over and over again. Could this be fixed?

Thanks for this great mod.

Greetzzzz :D

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 14:51

Informer wrote:Hello MegaJohnny

When I go to the "my Property menu" and select a ship, and then click on "show map" the tactical map appears, but when I hit the "back" button in the tactical map, for going back to "my property" menu, it goes directly back to the game. Would it be possible that I get back in the "my property"menu?
When I want to check many ships with the "show map" button, every time I have to select the "my property" menu over and over again. Could this be fixed?

Fixed for the next version - I mistakenly told the menu to quit out (as if you pressed delete) when the history is empty instead of returning to the previous thing. :)
Zlisten wrote:How delete thise mod?
Just delete "mej_tacticalmap" and "mej_tacmap_vanillacommands" from your extensions folder, no special uninstall process. It sticks to your save-game in case I want to add anything later that requires it, but for now you should just be able to remove it from the save XML if you really want to use the same saves.

Zlisten

Post by Zlisten » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 15:07

MegaJohnny wrote: Just delete "mej_tacticalmap" and "mej_tacmap_vanillacommands" from your extensions folder, no special uninstall process. It sticks to your save-game in case I want to add anything later that requires it, but for now you should just be able to remove it from the save XML if you really want to use the same saves.
I tried to just delete the mod, but after removing them, I can not load my game because the version does not fit.

Informer
x4

Post by Informer » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 20:21

MegaJohnny wrote:
Informer wrote:Hello MegaJohnny

Fixed for the next version - I mistakenly told the menu to quit out (as if you pressed delete) when the history is empty instead of returning to the previous thing. :)
Thanks m8. Looking forward to it. :D Any time frame when the new version will be out? :o :wink:

bbn
x4

Post by bbn » Sun, 8. Oct 17, 23:25

Great mod! I love it!

Alas...

There is one feature missing that stops me from using it in my current game. Namely, the display of exploration percentage on the map. Is it something that you can add in some future update?

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 04:22

Informer wrote:Thanks m8. Looking forward to it. :D Any time frame when the new version will be out? :o :wink:
It's released just now! Quick summary of the changes below :)
bbn wrote:Great mod! I love it!

Alas...

There is one feature missing that stops me from using it in my current game. Namely, the display of exploration percentage on the map. Is it something that you can add in some future update?
I never got round to implementing this because I never used it much myself (and on the vanilla map I thought it looked quite ugly). But I put it in a light grey and the colour helps it not draw attention away from the names of stuff. So it's in this release as well :) I've decided not to have it apply to ships, as they almost always seemed to be 0% or 100%, but if you like I can add it to ships as well.

This release has a big new feature in a multi-select/broadcast mode. The map can work just as before, where you work with a single ship, but there's a button above the ABXY buttons with a fleet icon. Click it (the hotkey is '5') and it toggles between the single-select mode and the multi-select mode.

In multi-select mode you don't select a command recipient by clicking on its row, instead their small icons are replaced by check boxes, and this is how you select/deselect them. The box that usually shows the name of the command selection now shows how many each of XL/L/M/S are selected, and when you use a right-click or grid command, it applies to all of them at once.

I don't have many ships to test this with in a real-life situation, so especially if you have a large empire let me know how well it works. ;) There's also other improvements and new stuff. As before, I recommend to delete the whole folders before installing the new ones, for times when files get removed from the mod.

Zlisten

Post by Zlisten » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 06:48

Zlisten wrote: I tried to just delete the mod, but after removing them, I can not load my game because the version does not fit.
How can I solve my problem?

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 11:40

Zlisten wrote:How can I solve my problem?
The general process outlined here should apply, but with the caveat that if you use save compression, you'll find the saves are in .gz format, not .xml. You'll need an archive tool like 7Zip to decompress it.

This can be used for any mod, not just this one, but if a mod adds itself to your savegame it might cause big problems to remove it just like that.

Informer
x4

Post by Informer » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 15:01

I just had a little peak in the 1.2 version. (can play for real tonight :D )
but it looks great. The multi function is really handy.

I let you know if I encounter any bugs.

Really good stuff MeggaJohnny. :)

plamen
x4

Post by plamen » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 19:27

This mod looks great! Thank you for sharing.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”