[WIP] X Rebirth: The New Frontier

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

SiD_azer
x4

Post by SiD_azer » Thu, 2. Mar 17, 16:05

yeah awesome,

will you remove the highways and superhighways ?

could small ship and drone jump with capital ship if they are close ?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 2. Mar 17, 18:07

IMO superhighways are OK, but normal highways should be eradicated.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Fri, 3. Mar 17, 03:43

There are some issues with that, though, because of small ships. Unless small ships can boost and jump, it doesnt make sense. I guess it is a possibility to make all small ships be able to boost/jump.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Fri, 3. Mar 17, 06:17

Personally, I think highways are great now. I wonder if the fake traffic in them could be replaced somehow by real traffic, though. It sounds like you might do that! Edit: I don't think this matters much--just guessing.
Last edited by tomchk on Fri, 3. Mar 17, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 3. Mar 17, 06:53

i doubt thats feasible because it would involve increasing the number of small Ships in the Universe by a thousand times or so.. and the impact to the performance is very likely to be noticeable.

Also just because some guys posted some videos of the masstraffic crying "fake, fake, fake" over it (and just this, for five minutes) it doesnt mean it is fake. if observed properly it might turn out to be surprisingly non-random (although observation times are naturally very short in the tubes)
Not entirely related, but the Station Masstraffic is not as random as some people think:
ii doubt anyone besides me has observed the behavior of Masstraffic in detail, but the Ships flying around the Stations are not flying around randomly. each of them has a Destination and they use the shortest Path the MTN to reach it. no one will just randomly fly around.
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Fri, 3. Mar 17, 18:41

The mass traffic is awesome! I think I read that it is not random. That's really cool. I thought I had read that CWIR made more ships use the highways for more reason than to just use them, but I'm not sure. Are the ships in the highways in vanilla not only using them to use them, rather than actually trading, etc. (I'm not counting the ones that spawn for missions)?

SiD_azer
x4

Post by SiD_azer » Fri, 3. Mar 17, 23:54

Maybe mass traffic should do something ? like small cargo marqued neutral buying stuff to sell to other factions that could be enemies and need ressources ? (piracy, drugs, etc ?)

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sat, 4. Mar 17, 01:38

SiD_azer wrote:Maybe mass traffic should do something ? like small cargo marqued neutral buying stuff to sell to other factions that could be enemies and need ressources ? (piracy, drugs, etc ?)
It does something. In zones masstraffic delivers wares between stations when no ships are available or needed. Also m sized trade ships use highways and basicly become a part of masstraffic. Also there are missions out there that make use of masstraffic. Although using every single masstraffic vessel for a purpose would demand so many ressources, that u wouldn't wanna play the game anymore. :D

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Sat, 4. Mar 17, 13:54

I really like the mass traffic because it makes the zones come alive with life in my opinion, but maybe some tweaks can be done. I don't know if this is a good idea yet, but maybe reduce mass traffic considerably so that there is only a little bit of it and since small trade ships will be used by factions and such, these will also help transporting goods.

I don't know if this is actually a good idea, though.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Sat, 4. Mar 17, 22:28

Add a few interesting missions and some exploration related content and you could just title it:

X Rebirth: Done Right

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Mon, 3. Apr 17, 18:39

Getting rid of spawns does sound incredibly good and like the logical step to a new X-perience.
Sadly i see you hitting two major walls.
1. There will likely always be one faction that snowballs like crazy and roflstomps the poor guys in no time - preventing interesting long term gameplay.
2. Production chains are linear from basic resources to highend ship parts. Cut them anywhere and they break as a whole. Especially the player will be able to cheese the system by attacking the weak spots.

If there was an intelligent strategic ai which could adapt to those things and plan ahead it could work. I don't know what you are capable of coding into in this regard, but i doubt it would be enough :)
The factions would need to know which ship types they currently benefit the most of building. Where to conquer the most needed resources, And they'd need to be smart enough not to send unprotected harvesters into their death over and over again. In short: Adapting to changing parameters. Can you really create something like this too?
It seems to be very ambitious and hard to tweak. For a project like this XR is lacking groundworks entirely. You'd have to do it all by yourself.
How about these suggestions for the two problems above.

1. Temporary coalitions which cut down factions that grow out of control. Creating a natural balance that prevents blobbing MOST of the time. This means even more features/code/work/time for you, but i think you will definitely need some sort of a control tool like this.
2. Timer based building. At the very least for civilian ships and stations crucial to the economy. Shipparts merely boost those timers. It prevents a total collapse. For example if most mining ships are down.
If the lack of just one ore two commodities can prevent ai shipbuilding entirely it will most likely not work. The gameworld is too small for this.
But its of course all just my humble opinion based on the concepts you shared with us. For real now: good luck

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Mon, 3. Apr 17, 18:51

Interesting points, but I believe these guys can at least make things much more realistic. It definitely won't be easy! I hope your points help the process.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Mon, 3. Apr 17, 20:18

I don't see problems with snowballing you can always program when a faction stops trying to grow too much.

The same with anihilated factions, you can always program special jobs for them where they can start rebuilding slowly from scratch again and you can start seeing them show up in small numbers in small ships and from there they are on their own again. edit: For instance, Xenon are anihilated, when game detects that it will spawn two small miner and ships and a small base in a remote isolated location and from there they have to earn their way up again (no more spawns until completely anihilated again).

In fact, the whole "jobs" thing could be perfect if Egosoft added needed conditions so they don't become periodically mindless.

Like tomchk says, not easy but these guys know their stuff :thumb_up:

Alandauron
x4

Post by Alandauron » Tue, 4. Apr 17, 02:45

I like it, and I think this will be what I try to build my mods off of. I thought about CWIR, but I'm not sure that has me as interested as this concept does.

MM are all your mods going to be built into this? Namely Fleet Supported Boarding & Carriers

In regards to the issue that people are worried about, why not just code in that when a faction is destroyed the game checks for the most powerful(most ships and stations) faction and splinters a portion of that faction?

X Faction has double the stations and ships of everything else so 2 stations and the ships currently planning to trade with those stations breaks away and forms Y faction, but it is only triggered when Z faction is eliminated. They can either take a significant amount of funding away from the faction they split from or can be entered into an agreement with another faction that has the funds to support them.

Not sure how viable this is since I'm just getting started, but based off other things you guys have done it sounds like it would be doable.

My only concern personally is with the wallets, there definitely needs to be a soft cap to spending to prevent maintaining an empty wallet at all times which could bring all production and trade to a halt if a few ships with big scores are all taken at once. Would be easy for the player to manipulate the balance in this manner.

Suggestion: Soft cap of a pretty high amount that prevents the construction of stations; Soft cap of a high amount that prevents the construction of L and XL ships; Soft cap of a medium amount that prevents new trades from being scheduled.

i.e. >100,000,000 needed to allow new station; >50,000,000 needed to allow new L and XL; >10,000,000 needed to schedule new trade. This is once again without looking at what was done in CWIR and just going off the stated intentions to "create" a wallet which tells me the AI currently pulls money out of thin air.

Just some thoughts for consideration! I can't wait for the end result and hope that I can peek at the code as things are going so I can make my changes to certain parts.

Alandauron
x4

Post by Alandauron » Fri, 7. Apr 17, 17:11

Just wanted to take a moment to jot down some rough ideas for consideration in this mod:
  • Method to open/close gates
  • Pirate/Sabotage missions for red stations
  • Emergency Fund for AI factions
  • Rushed Production
  • Investing System for player
And then a list of things I want to add to whatever the final product ends up as:
  • Boarding requires multiple Marine Officers for larger ships/stations
  • CVs and Stations require multiple Engineers
  • Subordinate Engineers(Like Marines)
  • Marine Officers and Marines needed for boarding defense
  • Modifying of defense values and AI for boarding

Concepts for Consideration in detail:
Method to Open/Close Gates: I'm not sure if this is something that has already been done by somebody but I haven't seen any indication that it has. Essentially this would be a strategic option to either allow yourself to build up forces for an assault or to make the path to your main establishment harder to get to for a time. In the vanilla campaign there are gates that you can't pass through until an event happens, it would be great to be able to replicate this but also allow a method to close the gates as well. Options:
  • Mission chain that allows a temporary disruption in gate travel
  • Mission chain that disables gate travel until another mission chain re-opens it
  • Attach a dock to the gates and create a new item required to power gate, it will close without the power source
While I like the idea of the last one I feel it would be the hardest to balance properly and could lead to trouble with keeping the gates open when you need them. AI might be able to be modified to have the other factions working to either supply or disrupt supply to the gates but that would be some extensive change I'm sure.

In regards to the mission chain I feel it would be fairly easy to have the AI simulate this by creating a mission for the player to destroy/kill a ship that is working to close/open one of the gates(with a timer). The player would have to monitor the gates in order to make sure they were open or closed based on their preference, otherwise if it's a gate they don't care about the AI would be free to fight among themselves to control the status of the gate.

Pirate/Sabotage Missions for Enemy Stations: I saw a mod for this to a degree, though it read like it allowed all missions for enemy stations. I would like to see it where if the station has become an enemy that the only missions that become available are the missions to attack Civilian Vehicles, Weaken Station Defenses, etc. This may be something that already exists in CWIR, haven't played it yet, but I just wanted to make sure the concept was mentioned.

I know many things are being carried over from CWIR so if this was already in and was one of the things being carried over then awesome!

Emergency Funds for AI Factions: This would be a set amount of money that can be stored separately from the "main wallet" it isn't automatically created and the amount stored within can vary depending on the size and power of the faction. The Emergency Fund(EF) would be something that the AI adds to only when they reach certain milestones in their productivity(i.e. faction builds 4th station, + 5mil to Emergency Fund(EF); - 5mil from Wallet).

Essentially the Emergency Fund(EF) would be used either when the faction is being threatened or when they are nearly wiped out, the determination could be different depending on the faction(i.e. HoA doesn't use unless it loses all but 1 station; PMC uses after losing first station; etc.). The factions could also use the funds differently depending on their individual action preference(i.e. HoA stores EF on Construction Vessel and stores vessel in empty space then when activated builds near a concentration of asteroids to mine).

Rushed Production: This would be something that could be used alongside the EF or independently once again depending on faction preference. Rushed Production could use the same resources and just cost 10x, could use double resources, or could just result in an inferior product(half shield and hull strength, etc.). Rushed Production would only be used in cases of emergency whether simply the station being attacked or the faction being nearly destroyed.

Investing System for Player: I noticed this was something mentioned in the OP and that's awesome because it's something I think is severely needed in the game. This would give the player more a more direct impact on the progress of a faction and also allow them to have access to a means of "buying friendship". The more support the player gives means a more friendly partner in the universe, it would also allow the player to impact how quickly a faction is able to build up strength in a new sector.

On the other side of this there would also need to be a method to disable investing if the player attacks a faction in order to prevent cheesing the system. Maybe an attack sets the faction to enemy automatically with a maximum rating of -10 and then you need to have at least a +1 rating to invest.

The Cheshire Cat

Post by The Cheshire Cat » Fri, 5. May 17, 19:18

This sounds like a really cool mod concept and contains a lot of stuff I've been thinking about lately but don't know enough about modding to actually do myself. Hope it works out! Balancing a self-sustaining, non-cheated economy sounds like it would be a nightmare.

One comment regarding "resurrecting" dead factions - perhaps this is something government factions could do, using a portion of their wallet to finance the construction of a station for a previously destroyed corporate faction + provide them with a few trade ships to get going again. Maybe their likelihood of doing so could depend on how many corporate factions within a single trade group exist - if a group has been entirely wiped out somehow it will be extremely high priority (since the economy will eventually stall out if certain goods aren't being produced at all), and it diminishes as more competition is created. This is of course assuming that government factions will be more durable than corporate ones - if they get wiped out in not sure how you could bring them back (maybe if a government faction loses its home system there could be periodic "rebellion" events where loyalists to the old government try to retake control from the current owner, even if the old government has been totally wiped out).

One other idea for keeping the economy stable - maybe different corporations within the same group could have their own specific production modules that take different inputs to produce the same output. This would represent each corporation having its own manufacturing process, and also make it advantageous for competition to exist within a trade group, since a shortage of a particular raw material might not stall the whole system if a corporation exists that doesn't require that material for production.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sat, 6. May 17, 16:18

If I may offer an idea.

Food should have a more important role, Factories should accept any food (Food Rations/Bofu)
Or merge them all into something new 'Food Packages' or something like that?
Not immersive to have Bofu and have factories reject it for Food Rations.

Food should also cause a huge production/wealth buff/debuff on having or not having Food.

JESS 246
x3

Post by JESS 246 » Sat, 6. May 17, 20:59

Hi BlackRain & Marvin Martian

May i add an idea that's been bugging me for a long while and that is the atmosfair air on ships/stations.

How about new wears like "Oxygen generator" & "Oxygen cyclers" as part of the station/ship builds, "Oxygen canisters/tanks" for smaller/fighter ships and crews.

Maybe add a station "The Air realtor" for Air/gases and to produce the above items as well.

Wares for Oxygen item above and station Hydrogen/Nitrogen gases, Bio Wiring all steels/metals and most item needed same as ship/station builds.

Also a new station "The Gravity Well"one for gravity items like "Gravity engines" use in station and capital ship builds, "Mag plating" and Gravity polarizers" for small ships/fighters.

Items for above production similar to station/shipbuilding.

Both station should be of new designs that's if viable.

After all how and what are the stations/ships people breathing if there is no way of producing the air for them and what is stopping us floating off if no gravity.
Last edited by JESS 246 on Mon, 8. May 17, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Sun, 7. May 17, 23:38

Most likely in a month or so from now I will start working on this more and I will make sure to read the ideas and such that people are posting. Limited time right now.

The Cheshire Cat

Post by The Cheshire Cat » Mon, 8. May 17, 16:55

A random thought occurred to me: since all ships will actually be properly constructed in shipyards rather than just spawned in, do you have a plan to prevent them from being constantly clogged up by the AI so that the player can actually buy ships without their own shipyard?

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”