[MOD] X:R Conquer mod v0.19s Updated 29/09/2015

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

escondido
x4

Post by escondido » Sun, 26. Apr 15, 06:20

this is the file i have im my documents folder inside the XR saves .

ther are 6 itens / save/screenshots/config/progressbar/uidata/

no » debuglog.txt !!

Rubini
xr

Post by Rubini » Sun, 26. Apr 15, 09:39

Houston, we have a problem!

The situation:
- I found an issue with the Config files not reading its settings after changes.
- Then 2 mates here said something about a loop/freeze after few seconds after load a saved game with this mod.
- Then i also found the same problem in some of my saved games.

Here my conclusions after a deep and tiresome investigation:

- No problems with the code, it works as intend and very well,
- Also you will not have any problem if start a new game or load this mod first time in a previous save game that didn´t had it before.
- but at each new release i add new features and sometimes new variables into old cues code and into the config file. Here is the problem. A problem that i never could imaginated.
- New variables in previously cues that sometimes are active on saved games can not read correctly these new values or just can lose its references and this lead to the problems related above.

With this exposed i will:
1. release last update v013a with the new features described in some posts above
2. from now on any new feature needs to be deeply tested in saved games from previous version and only will release if its safe to use with previous saved game.
3. if i can´t find a solution for this problem, I will only add features that don´t changes the old ones. The odd is that this can halt the improvements of previous feature on the mod.
4. or just will give up, after v13a release, because this is really bucket of cold water.

If anyone have a clue please let me know, I can be wrong on my conclusions and perhaps a solution can appears...
Thanks and excuse me by the problem, but i really could not found a solution.
(new versions code changes x old saved games)
Rubini.

escondido
x4

Post by escondido » Sun, 26. Apr 15, 10:18

i also have uninstalled the game and erase all the saves im my documents and star a fresch game with only the 2 mods freelancer and this one...but the problems is the same it freeze my computer after a few secunds..

DaveDee
x4

Post by DaveDee » Sun, 26. Apr 15, 11:45

Same..
Freeze after several seconds of new game.

Rubini
xr

Post by Rubini » Sun, 26. Apr 15, 12:11

Sorry guys,

Something get lost between versions that is now leading for these freezes that i also confirm. I will remove all links, post a statement that it is under repair until solve the problem. The bad news is that I only knew about this hours ago because in my saves/test run it is working. My best clue is that some footprint stay on my saved games that make it runs. But not more for new games too.
Sorry and thanks by your interest and to try it.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Sun, 26. Apr 15, 16:13

Rubini wrote:Sorry guys,

Something get lost between versions that is now leading for these freezes that i also confirm. I will remove all links, post a statement that it is under repair until solve the problem. The bad news is that I only knew about this hours ago because in my saves/test run it is working. My best clue is that some footprint stay on my saved games that make it runs. But not more for new games too.
Sorry and thanks by your interest and to try it.
Rubini, some advice. This is what I would suggest. Currently, this is a WIP/test to see how well it will work. Inform people of this and that they should not use this within their primary game and only those who wish to help test it should use it.

You can continue to update and add features as you have been doing. Eventually, when you feel you have finished adding and changing everything to your liking, then you release it as a finished mod. I wouldn't stop development just because of the save issue. Just inform people what they are getting in to. Once this is done, and you do not need to update anymore (cues and such) then you can release it as finished (and we can work on customizing it for WWX).

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Sun, 26. Apr 15, 18:16

@Rubini: I'm sorry to hear about these issues. Please don't give up on it! This mod has enormous potential! If the problem has to do with losing things between versions of your mod, I have heard that Github can be very helpful at version and change control. People like UniTrader would have much more to say about it (https://github.com/UniTrader?tab=repositories).

I will stay tuned for further developments. Best of luck!

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sun, 26. Apr 15, 23:15

well, primary reason i use github is that it makes updating the Mod very easy (and automatically keeps a version His) - just commit and sync all your changes and leave a note what you did.. also others can look through your code with just using the browser, no Downloading/extracting packages (and the hassle with steam of first subscribing to a mod you want to take a look at, then start the game to DL it, deactivate it (becaue you just want to have a look, not use it), exit game and extract the files..)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Rubini
xr

Post by Rubini » Mon, 27. Apr 15, 00:53

@UniTrader,
@tomchk,
@BlackRain
@guys,

Thanks by your kind of words. The situations is that the mod was, at my end, in a very mature stage and I should bring it in playable stage until 2 days ago, because from now on, only eventually i will have time to go for it again as it demands. Well, freetime and sleepiness is a issue well know for any modder! :D

The problem seems that is with the header of the mod, it´s not being reading it´s initial variables how it must be. Then they internal calc will break it.
I have not good detailed acknowledge/experience about cues and how they works. This is the problem i guess.

Can i contact you both BlackRain and Unitrader about this "header" issue? I guess that it could be probably that simple for who have the necessary acknowledge. Then we can start to fix it in good pace as we have the time.

Thanks again!

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 27. Apr 15, 03:16

Rubini wrote:Can i contact you both BlackRain and Unitrader about this "header" issue? I guess that it could be probably that simple for who have the necessary acknowledge. Then we can start to fix it in good pace as we have the time.

Thanks again!
as my Signature states i am always open to questions ;) preferably the ones i can actually answer though :D

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Rubini
xr

Post by Rubini » Mon, 27. Apr 15, 10:57

AHA!: sorted all problems . All is working now:
- the mod started normally with any new "free" game. I tested the vanilla ones and Devries FreeStart from Yorrick,
- Save game ok on same version. Although tests changing some variables and/or adding news ones between saves (as it was a new version/new features) worked ok too! This is really good.
- fixed some more small things!
I guess that now it is good to go ahead!
Nothing like a good sleep night to clarify our mind! :D

I will try to updated links next hours.

@ UniTrader!
Thanks by the offer and here the first question:

How exactly the command "patch" works?
See, this mod is very complex because it have a lot of cues being checked and
interconnected, plus a cue with all settings. I was thinking in use the "patch" command when adding new variables into the code where before was only a direct command. See this example:
Into the main code:

Code: Select all

<delay exact="60s">
Next update added to config file:

<set_value name="md.CM_Config.Settings.$Delay" exact="60s" />
Then actualize the code above to:

<delay exact="md.CM_Config.Settings.$Delay" />
To a new game this is ok. But for saved games it can be problematic because the cue, i guess, will be "confused". Although last tests seems that it can now work i'm afraid to make the same in more complex code. A precaution.
Do you see any use for "patch" in this situation or any other idea? :?:
Thanks by any help!

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 27. Apr 15, 11:11

thats definietly a case for the patch node ;)
basically it defines the actions to be performed if cue in the save has a lower version than defined in the patch node and in the given state, in your case this should be:

<patch sinceversion="2" state="complete">
<set_value name="md.CM_Config.Settings.$Delay" exact="60s" />
</patch>

and in the related cue (xml parent of the patch node) there must be a
<cue name="***" version="2">

any then you just change the delat node as you want - when the cue is complete and the Cue Version in the save is 2 or lower this value will be added immediately on loading (the delay should be in the save if the Script is currently inside this time and when the cue is still waiting the current value from the scripts should be looked up when the cue switches to active)

note that i didnt need this myself yet, this is just interpreted from the game files
also note that this doesnt make the <set_value> in the cue actions redundant because the patch wont be executed if the cue switches from waiting to completed within version 2

hope this makes it clear, i have the feeling the more clearer i want to writ this the more confusing it gets..

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 27. Apr 15, 13:43

Hey Rubini,

Sorry I haven't been following this thread as closely as I would like. About the freezes, I only remember that happening in one instance: if many of the same calculation are triggered at the exact same instant (like, for example, when getting multiple ships to jump.) A random delay of a few milliseconds was enough to clear it up.

I remember causing more freezes and crashes while testing, but that's the only cause I could remember at the moment. Haven't looked at your latest code, so I don't know if this applies, but thought that it might help.

About the delay thing, shouldn't worst case be that the entity affected by the delay gets stuck rather than causing the whole game to freeze up? In any case, I'm glad if you managed to find the cause of the problem and fix it. And I appreciate the work that you're continuing to put into this.

Rubini
xr

Post by Rubini » Mon, 27. Apr 15, 16:58

@UniTrader,

I have yet one doubt about the "patch" command:

In the main parent cue that I have now, is it already necessary to add the version on it? Or I can make it first time that I need to use the "patch", starting then from "2" - assuming that if no version is declared first, it will then assume as "1"?

@ w.evans,

Thanks by the help. What i found to be the culprit in Conquer_Mod was multiple causes. All then related to the "head" of the mod don´t be reading as it must be. A cue technical issue that i learned now. First the Config file was not be reading as it must be each savegame load cycle (well, it was set to but not working). Second is specific to what we are discuting above about changing variables into cues that probably were in active state, seems that the engine don't like it or is just me that did not it correctly, what is more probably. :P
I guess that the "patch" command will make it work for this "between versions" savegame issue.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 27. Apr 15, 18:45

Rubini wrote:@UniTrader,

I have yet one doubt about the "patch" command:

In the main parent cue that I have now, is it already necessary to add the version on it? Or I can make it first time that I need to use the "patch", starting then from "2" - assuming that if no version is declared first, it will then assume as "1"?
from what i have seen i think Version 1 or 0 is assumed if not given

Rubini
xr

Post by Rubini » Tue, 28. Apr 15, 05:57

First post updated!

This is a fix version only. Must be working ok now.

Changelog v0.14:
- Remade the header of the mod to avoid critical problems when loading start cues
- Fixed the "new game" and "save game" bugs. Must start without problem in both situations.
- Prepared the code to receive patch in future releases without losing the previous saved games

Let me know any "goods or bads" about it.

@UniTrader:
- Thanks by the help, already prepared all cues to use "patch" in future releases. Thanks mate! :wink:

Luanda

Post by Luanda » Sat, 2. May 15, 13:05

Rubini wrote:First post updated!

This is a fix version only. Must be working ok now.

Changelog v0.14:
- Remade the header of the mod to avoid critical problems when loading start cues
- Fixed the "new game" and "save game" bugs. Must start without problem in both situations.
- Prepared the code to receive patch in future releases without losing the previous saved games

Let me know any "goods or bads" about it.

@UniTrader:
- Thanks by the help, already prepared all cues to use "patch" in future releases. Thanks mate! :wink:
hi, just a quick question. can ews warn me while im in menus or on map?

DaveDee
x4

Post by DaveDee » Sun, 3. May 15, 00:38

Okay, my my 5 cents.

EWS - Nice feature, but needs some work.
- Clicking on event monitor should open target map
- Event text may contain reporters name (caps name + ship)
- Think it would be nice to make it as an upgradable software
- Event displays for too long, imho.

Invasions - really cool, but overpowered
- 3 titurels with about 10-15 fighters per each was quite hard for early game. Especialy since they were blocking sector with beacon....
- Until i realized that Xenon I may invade DeVries inner sectors... they are really badass. Actually i don't know a way to destroy them without 2-3 Arawns.
- Further is better. Since i could not destroy that wunderwaffle, not to mention pointless NPCs attempts... i tried to raise my fleet. A bit later i got new warning about enemy jump. So now I had two Is right in heart of my empire. About hour ago - new warning. Another two grinders were attacking canteran shipyard. I tried to save it with all my fleet (taranis, 2 balors, 4 titurels and xenon k) but shipyard were destroyed in about 3 minutes. Game Over.
- Meanwhile, the first two xenons didnt do anything with the station at the Crystal Castle. They terrorized the sector for about two hours, but the station was not destroyed.

I'm playing on hard, btw. Maybe Is are a bit easier on med.

Rubini
xr

Post by Rubini » Sun, 3. May 15, 01:45

Luanda wrote:
hi, just a quick question. can ews warn me while im in menus or on map?
Hi mate....i really dont know for sure. This detail didnt catch my attention. But you will have permanentemente message on logbook.

Rubini
xr

Post by Rubini » Sun, 3. May 15, 01:51

DaveDee wrote:Okay, my my 5 cents.

EWS - Nice feature, but needs some work.
- Clicking on event monitor should open target map
- Event text may contain reporters name (caps name + ship)
- Think it would be nice to make it as an upgradable software
- Event displays for too long, imho.

Invasions - really cool, but overpowered
- 3 titurels with about 10-15 fighters per each was quite hard for early game. Especialy since they were blocking sector with beacon....
- Until i realized that Xenon I may invade DeVries inner sectors... they are really badass. Actually i don't know a way to destroy them without 2-3 Arawns.
- Further is better. Since i could not destroy that wunderwaffle, not to mention pointless NPCs attempts... i tried to raise my fleet. A bit later i got new warning about enemy jump. So now I had two Is right in heart of my empire. About hour ago - new warning. Another two grinders were attacking canteran shipyard. I tried to save it with all my fleet (taranis, 2 balors, 4 titurels and xenon k) but shipyard were destroyed in about 3 minutes. Game Over.
- Meanwhile, the first two xenons didnt do anything with the station at the Crystal Castle. They terrorized the sector for about two hours, but the station was not destroyed.

I'm playing on hard, btw. Maybe Is are a bit easier on med.
Hi DaveDee,
Thanks to try it again. I'm in a trip and using my cell to reply. Later I will reply item per item. For now, take a look on config file. There you have settings to adjust some of yours main comments above.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”