[Tool] Save game Editor & CAT\DAT explorer\extracter v0.1.21 (2015-02-02)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

How would you like to get the application and updates:

(current) As a Click-Once application, the application is user bound and auto updates
36%
As a Click-Once application (with a selectable install dir), the application is user bound and auto updates (Under the hood the application would create a symlink from the Click-once install dir to the destination dir, not sure if this is possible)
8%
In a zip downloadable from the internet
40%
In a installer with a selectable install path
15%

Total votes: 99

nemesis1982
x4

[Tool] Save game Editor & CAT\DAT explorer\extracter v0.1.21 (2015-02-02)

Post by nemesis1982 » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 11:17

What started as a plan to develop a simple save game editor (for my own use) has grown into quite a project.

Current state: v0.1.21; Alpha (For save games created by 3.0 and up, older versions of the game might work)

Download new version v0.1.21 from (Currently not available) http://badaeva.nl/publish/xrebirth/install.html

I'll be uploading new versions as zip once in a while for people who don't want a click once(Currently not longer available)

Status and stuff like this will now be on github:
- Main github page: https://github.com/nemesis1782/XRebirthSaveGameEditor
- Functionality wiki page: https://github.com/nemesis1782/XRebirth ... ctionality

Thanks to:
- Roger L.S. Griffiths for input and assistance whith basic XML
- w.evans, for input, suggestions and testing
- NZ-Wanderer, for input, suggestions and testing
- alexalsp, for input, suggestions and testing
- YorrickVander for pointing out where to find info to make macros human readable and other assistance in various areas
- Simoom thanks for the help and for letting me use the info in http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=377686
- duploli, for becoming a contributor on github and making any quality changes!
- Refferences used to be added
Last edited by nemesis1982 on Tue, 12. Dec 17, 11:17, edited 58 times in total.

w.evans
x4

Re: [Tool] Save game Editor

Post by w.evans » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 11:40

nemesis1982 wrote:if my kid will be born before I get to it ;) )
Congratulations!
And thanks for sharing the editor.

D.O.S.
x4

Post by D.O.S. » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 12:54

Thanks for sharing
the only thing i can think could be usefull to add would be a function to remove MODS from the save game
OS:MS Windows 10 Pro x64 / Cpu: AMD-FX Piledriver 8350 @4.0Ghz / Mb:GA-990FXA-UD3 / Memory:16Gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical @1866
Gpu:Gigabyte Nvidia 770GTX 4GB GDDR5 / Storage:Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB System, WD Caviar Green 2TB HD Data & Games / Display:24" Asus VG248 1920 x 1080 @144Hz + Nvidia 3D Vision Kit
Input Devices:Razer Deathstalker / Razer Oruoboros / Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog / BroadBand:EE 4GEE MobileBroadBand (50Gb PCM)

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 12:58

My Visual XML Editor may help with any missing functionality as a stop-gap.

As this tool and my generic tool seem to be using a similar approach perhaps we could combine our efforts, perhaps adding plug-in support to my XML Editor would be a good start?

There is also this Game Save Editor as well. I do not know what the differences are.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 13:07

Many thanks for the willingness to share with the community :)

Couple of things I can think of to add would be:

Ability to change players employees star ratings :)
Ability to change the numbers of Recruits/Veterans/elites. (still have to add upto 50 tho)

I know some will consider it cheating, but having the ability to do it lets people choose whether to or not. (Plus it would be very handy when testing things and you haven't got time to train up the marines, or train pilots to higher ranks etc.)

As for removing mods, all you would have to do is list the mods that are at the top of the save file, if a player ticks one then it is taken out of the file.

Another idea would be the ability to change factions relations with you.

Best I stop now before I get carried away :)
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:There is also this Game Save Editor as well. I do not know what the differences are.
Alas that save game editor is really outdated, I think from memory (without looking back over the posts in the thread) that it hasn't worked properly since 2.0
Link to the list of Mods working in X4-Foundations and also Link to the list of Mods working in X-Rebirth

NOTE: I play with a modded game, so any reports I make outlining suggestions/problems/bugs/annoyances, are made with mods installed and running.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 14:22

Hey guys thanx for the replies. Hadn't expected this many replies this quickly.

@NZ-Wanderer: I'll add those to the list. If people think using a certain function is cheating the just shouldn't use it ;)

@Roger L.S. Griffiths: I'll check out your XML editor when I have the chance. Combining our efforts would be great. It'll be nice to have a veterans assitance ;) I use DOM and build a object model arround it. As soon as I've setup the repo I'll PM you with the details would love to get your input. Keep in mind that this is a hoby project though so it's not really up to industry standards :P

The save game editor is deprecated I think.

@D.O.S.: I'll add it to the list (for now you can use the editor Roger L.S. Griffiths mentioned I think (not sure if it works with 3.1 saves).

@w.evans: Thanks it's an exciting time :)

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 14:44

A working save editor again? Superb :D Depending on your internal implementation, perhaps xpath queries to the /t file for the readable names?

for instance

Code: Select all

<identification name="{20101,8901}" description="{20101,8902}" mapicon="shipicon_freighter_l" />
from units_size_l_canteran_transporter_macro.xml would map to

<page id="20101" title="Ships" descr="Text for Ships" voice="yes">
and

<t id="8901">Lepton</t>
<t id="8902">Like most vessels in service with the Republic of Cantera, the Lepton does not quite size up with other ships of its class. This freighter has somewhat outdated hydrogen-fusion main thrusters allowing only moderate acceleration and manoeuvrability. Its token weapon is not worth mentioning.</t>
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 15:16

Great thnx YorrickVander. I'll look into that. Working toward a stable version to release now, will add that in 0.2

Was wondering where this info was stored.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 19:49

IF you know what XML sections/sub-sections to delete, you can use my Visual XML Editor - the editing side is fully functional on a per XML file basis(just does not provide XSL support currently).

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 19:56

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:just does not provide XSL support currently
xsl support would be nice to have since you can do useful stuff with that by transforming xml files, but its not necessary. you probably mean xsd support to check if a file is valid. ;)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 20:31

Well, actually both - essentially it is just processing raw XML at the moment.

When XSL/XSD support is introduced, the add Element/Attribute functionality will be updated to only allow the creation/editing of XML files in compliance with the relevant XSL/XSD specifications.

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 20:52

On the employees star ratings, maybe have it like one of the earlier editors had it...
Display all 5 ratings eg:

boarding 3
combat 5
engineering 0
leadership 0
management 0
morale 4
navigation 5
science 0

then allow the player to just type in the value they wish :)

Just for fun I decided the other day to change all my pilots to 5 star ratings to see what happened, having over 100 pilots you can well imagine how long it took me to edit it all by hand :P (above settings is what I gave them all)
But having the ability to pick and choose what you give your people would be great..
Link to the list of Mods working in X4-Foundations and also Link to the list of Mods working in X-Rebirth

NOTE: I play with a modded game, so any reports I make outlining suggestions/problems/bugs/annoyances, are made with mods installed and running.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 21:34

@NZ-Wanderer or you could add this:

<ware ware="inv_virtualseminarengineering" amount="4999"/>
<ware ware="inv_virtualseminarcombat" amount="5000"/>
<ware ware="inv_virtualseminarnavigation" amount="3996"/>
<ware ware="inv_virtualseminarleadership" amount="1998"/>
<ware ware="inv_virtualseminarmorale" amount="1999"/>

to your inventory! Would be nice to be able to do something like that with the editor too. For, erm, "testing" purposes. Yes, I think I'll stick with that story.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 21:54

@w.evans: with the current save editor that will be possible as long as it is a known type for you. In the next version you'll be able to add known types.

@NZ-Wanderer: Not sure on the visual representation yet. I am planning a option set all pilots with owner player to a given set of ratings. The problem I have with the current game is the micro managing. If you have 100 pilots it's a hurculean job to give them all a couple of virtual seminars with the current menu system in game.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 22:02

nemesis1982 wrote:option set all pilots with owner player to a given set of ratings.
Even better! Thanks!

I was confused by this though:
nemesis1982 wrote:with the current save editor that will be possible as long as it is a known type for you. In the next version you'll be able to add known types.
(underlines added to better describe "this.")

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 22:16

w.evans wrote:I was confused by this though:
nemesis1982 wrote:with the current save editor that will be possible as long as it is a known type for you. In the next version you'll be able to add known types.
(underlines added to better describe "this.")
i would say he means that you can Edit the amount in Your Inventory, but to Edit that you must have the Item in your Inventory in the first place ;) so if you dont have a certain skillbook you cant add more of them. thats ho i would interpret this ;)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Sat, 27. Dec 14, 22:38

Hi UniTrader,

I meant that I was confused that it seemed like it's the same in the current and in the next version, but it seemed like there would be a difference. Ah, no big deal. Was just confused. It'll be very useful for setting up particular scenarios in any case.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Sun, 28. Dec 14, 00:37

There are a number of lists in your save game which contain what you've seen.

For instance what ships you've seen or waht inventory types you've seen.

At the moment you can edit amounts of items already in your inventory and add items you've seen at one time or another.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Sun, 28. Dec 14, 00:44

nemesis1982 wrote:edit amounts of items already in your inventory
Ok, got that.
nemesis1982 wrote:and add items you've seen at one time or another.
Even if they are not, at present, in your inventory! Got it, I think. Thanks for clearing that up!

Wasn't sure if it would be possible to add to the known types in the next version. (That is, add things that you have never seen to the list of objects that you have seen. Would be useful to set up scenarios for tests that require completely new game starts. And, er, other more nefarious things.)

Really though, not a big deal. I'll figure it out when I get my paws on it. Probably just too little sleep and too much coffee.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Sun, 28. Dec 14, 00:52

Well just posted 0.1 I can't stress enough that this is a pre alpha. Gotta go to sleep now ;)

Thnx for all the feedback so far. If anyone could give it a test drive and give some feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”