MIS: More Immersive Skunk -- [POC] New Interiors, subsytems etc

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

XexrelFenix
x3ap

Post by XexrelFenix » Fri, 24. Oct 14, 01:03

Camping the back end of a capital thrusters, getting shot at station, selling shields then flying around. So many awkward tests. lol

Have you thought about using Ship Technicians and Mechanics as possible solution to repair the Skunk? By station or by crew members. ( Just a thought )

Consumption of wares like: Life Support System, Engine Components?

Should I hold on to the bugs I found or wait till its released as normal alpha? :P

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Fri, 24. Oct 14, 04:52

@XexrelFenix: I was thinking of using inventory items as inflight repair items...could possibly just use them throughout... great idea :)

And sure show me your bugs please ;) The more I fix now, the more I don't need to fix later :)

XexrelFenix
x3ap

Post by XexrelFenix » Fri, 24. Oct 14, 06:14

Ginger470 wrote:@XexrelFenix: I was thinking of using inventory items as inflight repair items...could possibly just use them throughout... great idea :)

And sure show me your bugs please ;) The more I fix now, the more I don't need to fix later :)
They are just minor problems imo:

-Structural creaking sound still plays on platform/station interior.
-This one I can't reproduce anymore but the new GUI was at other places beside the Skunk's cockpit. i.e Engineer platform.

Other: That sound should get more louder and severe according to hull damage.

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Fri, 24. Oct 14, 08:50

Thank you Xexrel :) Noted and will be fixed !

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 02:03

Can't upload the fixes just yet, but here's what's new:

Added: Micrometeoroids
These little buggers have more kinetic energy than the Mass driver of TC/AP. I thought they deserved a place :) You will occasionally encounter a micrometeoroid shower which is mostly harmless but sounds purdy. However, you'll not want to hang around too long as there's a (small) chance you'll get hit by something a little larger. And now, as your hull keeps your air in, you'll not want it perforated ;)

These showers will also effect other ships -- we'll see how that works out as I can imagine some xs civilians not fairing too well :(

Added: Air pressure gauge to hud
Added: S class ships to hot engines

Fixed: No more shield drain in highways
Fixed: Sounds playing outside the skunk
Fixed: High g drains the shield slightly less
Fixed: hud shouldn't appear anywhere other than the skunk

Litauen
xr

Post by Litauen » Wed, 12. Nov 14, 22:16

Great mods!
Ginger470 wrote:Fixed: hud shouldn't appear anywhere other than the skunk
I have your last version and HUD is showing only in the Skunk. What I am interested to do - is to show the HUD on the landing platform. Can you advice, how to do it?

Can't find anything related to the Skunk. player.room is present in the Skunk, on the Landing Platform, on the Station. Can't figure it out how to show HUD on the Landing Platform.

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Wed, 12. Nov 14, 23:03

Hi Litauen (loving the bridge mod btw!)

I'm doing a check:

<do_if value="player.entity.container == player.primaryship" >

And if that evaluates to true, I'm drawing the hud (player.room). Thinking about it, I prolly need to check that it's actualy the cockpit as the skunk's backroom might also evaluate true, but anyway...

So you'd just need to do a check to see what the player container is ....

That said, most of the subsystems are either deactivated or changed somehow once the skunk is docked (eg if the skunk's internal air is leaking in space, when you land it'll be 100% again because it fills with air from the dock).

Plus all the scripts relate to player.primaryship.

But you can see how the hud is done ... a clumsy solution, but it works :) Would be great if you could modify your bridge mod to include a hud or overlay some details on the bridge monitors!

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Wed, 12. Nov 14, 23:24

And to everyone else ... this mod isn't dead :)

I've been working out how all the systems interact/inter-relate. The aim is to keep it incredibly simple to use.

Plus there's been a small redesign on the hud to make it purdier ;)

New additions include the all important trifecta of power generation, ship hydraulics and system coolant. These are the three main systems on the ship and effect EVEEERRYYYTHIIIIIING.

The Shield Generator is now your primary power source. So the better your shield gen, the more power you can supply to the skunk.

You have a backup generator which can supply a few watts of power also, but this shouldn't be relied on.

The most important new addition is the RAID Capacitor -- this will be a new ware which acts as a multiplier for your power generation.

The base model will allow 70% (subject to change) of your shield generator power to be made available to power the ship subsytems. The idea is that even with the best shields, if your capacitor is lousy you won't be able to turn everything on full.

Better capacitors will be made available, increasingly more efficient and rare and expensive.

Simply put, you'll have so many 'power points' you can spend at any given time on the ship subsystems. Power points can be raised by getting better shield generators and/or better capacitors. Ship damage will lower the amount of 'power points' you have at any given time.

Easy ;)

In other news, weapon's 'off' has been implemented for guns ... for some reason I'm having trouble with the missiles, but that'll come soon. This will be important because:
1. You'll have to choose whether you want to spend power points on your weapons and
2. I want to be able to take them offline if a subsystem further along the chain is wrecked ;)

Plus, all subsystem stats are now output real-time (I commandeered the stat screen for this).

An upload will be made available once I get a menu working to distribute the power.

Litauen
xr

Post by Litauen » Wed, 12. Nov 14, 23:36

Thank you for quick answer.

Problem is that there is no such line in the mis_hud folder which I have: tmp download link

That is why I am asking. With this mod hud is visible on Skunk but not anywhere else.

I am trying to figure it out to improve Capital Ship Bridge mod.

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Wed, 12. Nov 14, 23:47

@Litauen -- oh...the uploaded version is prolly way out of date which is why you're not seeing the code.

If I recall, the only reason it's not drawing anywhere else in the version you have is because you were in the skunk cockpit when you installed?

Try deactivating the mod and save on one of your bridges, then reactivate and load the 'bridge' save. It may well show up as it's only checking player.room in this earlier version...

Let me know if that works for you.

Litauen
xr

Post by Litauen » Thu, 13. Nov 14, 10:44

Ok, I see what you mean. This is because of Init action, which inits hud in the cockpit and then nowhere else.

I created separate cue (disabled yours):

Code: Select all

<cue name="MIS_HUD_test" instantiate="true" checkinterval="5s" >
			<actions>		
				<remove_effect object="player.room" effect="'mic_hud_elem1'" />
				<add_effect object="player.room" effect="'mic_hud_elem1'" />
			</actions>
		</cue>
Also changed coordinates in the mis_hud_generic.xml:

Code: Select all

<connection name="Connection01" tags="part  ">
				<offset>
					<position x="0" y="10.5" z="0/>
				</offset>
Also tried <position x="0" y="1" z="0/> and many other combinations. Based on the bridge element coordinates.

But I can't make your hud appear on the bridge. Hud shows ok in the cockpit, so I guess there is a problem with a coordinates. Debug log is empty. I am stuck.

Maybe add_effect does not work at all on landing platforms, only in the cockpit? Maybe you can give some advices?

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Thu, 13. Nov 14, 11:49

@Litauen -- mmm ... I just tried removing the checks from my current code, and I can't get it to appear elsewhere either ... have you tried outputing the player x,y,z co-ordinates onscreen so you can be certain you're at the same position the hud should be?

Add_effect should work elsewhere ... there's smoke described for the architects room for instance.

Litauen
xr

Post by Litauen » Thu, 13. Nov 14, 12:01

Just solved it changing object="player.room" to object="player.platform".

Thank you again! Now I will be able to create dynamic monitors and other stuff!

[ external image ]

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Thu, 13. Nov 14, 19:34

Great job Litauen!

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Thu, 13. Nov 14, 20:25

Nice work! (to both of you!)

That's really slick.

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Sat, 15. Nov 14, 00:15

gonna have to give this a go :)
Link to the list of Mods working in X4-Foundations and also Link to the list of Mods working in X-Rebirth

NOTE: I play with a modded game, so any reports I make outlining suggestions/problems/bugs/annoyances, are made with mods installed and running.

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 18:30

So ... here's the new hud design ...

And here's your new Skunk schematics ;)

And for the masochists, another super-early-alpha-version version. There's still a lot to impliment so be kind, but this should give a taste of what's to come...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/541 ... Rebirth.7z

Also, do you guys like super-early-alpha-version versions or is it confusing when things are only partially implimented? In otherwords, do ya all wanna wait another year until I get a full on RC made or do you like the previews? Or do ya not care?

Enjoy :)

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 18:32

oh ... and this is what it does so far, more or less, d'oh

------------
Hot engines:
------------
Ships will leave a wake that'll super-heat the skunk, reducing it's shields then destroying its hull until it blows up. Don't park in engines.

+ Larger ships have longer wakes
+ The faster the ship, the hotter its trail
+ Distance from ship and distance from ship affect temperatures
+ Warmup and cooldown calculated
+ Accurate temperature calculations
+ Doesn't effect NPCs!

---------
Airframe:
---------
Incorporates inertial dampers (Podkletnov Generators) onboard the Skunk. If these go wrong, the Skunk's airframe will break ;)

- High G manouvers drain shield
- If Dampers aren't fully working, there's a chance of damage to the ship's airframe/pressure hull
- Nifty sound effects
- Accurate calculations for G-force with particular care given to spinal forces (redout/blackout)

+ Todo: G effects on crew if the dampers break (redout/blackout)

----------------
Oxygen Scrubber:
----------------
The Skunk has an atmosphere! If your airframe ruptures you'll lose oxygen. If the scrubbers break you'll suffer co2 buildup.

- Affected by number of crew and their stress/workload levels
- Crew effected by simulated 'excitement/workload' (eg nearby enemies, ship damage and other mods in this suite)
- Accurately modelled 02 usage and C02 buildup amounts
- Scrubber scrubs CO2 converting it into 02: no magic oxygen supply
- When landed the skunk's internal atmosphere will be replenished by the dock, but the scrubber will not be repaired
- Damage to the ship's hull can lead to atmospheric venting!

+ Todo: Currently, no side effects from this -- you can't suffocate at this point
+ Todo: Repair mechanism

-----------------------------
Generator/Hydraulics/Coolant:
-----------------------------
The three main systems that make EVERYTHING else work.

+ Modelled pump, seals and pipes for coolant and hydraulics
+ Power based off of shield generator so more power is available with better shields
+ Introduction of new ware: RAID Capacitor (not implimented as ware yet) which upgrades the amount of power available
+ Modelled power phasing simulating the irregularities of power generation

+ Todo: Partially implimented - needs connected to other subsystems to regulate their usage
+ Todo: Power management system

----------
Meteroids:
----------
Localised meteroid and ion storms giving a reason to manage the skunk's shield

- Ion storms and micrometeorite storms can occur in any sector.
- Ion storms reduce ship shields
- Micrometeorite storms damage a ship's hull, ignoring the shield
- Storms last for various durations and have various strengths
- Great for scavengers!
- Player ship and npc effected!
- Free windscreen valet service when docked!

+ Todo: Shield management not yet implimented

--------------------
Skunk Engine Sounds:
--------------------
Better noises for the booster and main engines :D

+ Deeper, richer sound for main engine - think Nostromo
+ No more odd starting sound on the booster (y'know that sound that sounds like a voice)
+ Better booster spooling sound

---------
Headsway:
---------
Slightly larger head movements in flight - gives a better impression of movement

+ Umm ... what it says above

----------------------
Flight_vector_engines:
----------------------
Reduces strafe and yaw and introduces semi-newtonian flight. Makes flight more like a conventional aircraft -- but with far less air resistance ;)

+ Strafe is only good for leveling out flight dynamics and not as part of combat manouvering
+ Slowing down takes time
+ You can move in a direction you're not pointing
+ Roll is much more important as the Skunk now flys more like an aircraft -- makes for a better combat experience (but watch out for High Gs!)
+ Makes crashing into things much easier!
+ Effects Skunk Only -- see flight manual for details :)

-----------------
Cockpit_graphics:
-----------------
Night-vision adapted graphics and lighting for the original skunk cockpit -- this is a military vehicle after all

+ Red night-lighting
+ Darker consoles
+ More glowy buttons!
+ Monitor in back room displays power schematic
+ Cockpit glass treated with gold to help protect from radiation
+ The Skunk's old -- the glass is scratched ... don't like it, buy a new cockpit ;)
+ Reduced 'mode' border

----
HUD:
----
An onscreen graphical display of all things :)

- Displays info from these extensions
- Includes realtime stats reporting: new menu item in the main menu
- Looks purdy!

+ Todo: Partially implimented ... many systems still need hooked in

---------
Sweetfx
---------
Still needs a bit of tweaking, but makes space a bit more gritty PLUS the whole 'Bandits in the sun' thing is more interesting ;)

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 18:53

Oh my, that is beautiful :o

You know, you and Litauen could probably make really cute capital ship bridge-shaped babies :)

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 19:14

@Sparky Sparkycorp: Not the first response I was expecting :D

Looks like Litauen has caps well and truly covered ... but I must look at how he's done the bridges and see if I can get the other rooms in the skunk available -- what could possibly be more immersive than space toilets?

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”