MIS: More Immersive Skunk -- [POC] New Interiors, subsytems etc

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 00:10

Added insanely alpha download link to first post.

XexrelFenix
x3ap

Re: MIS: More Immersive Skunk -- ideas/suggestions/preview

Post by XexrelFenix » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 01:24

Ginger470 wrote:I haz HUD
PS:If you're running MIS: Hot Engines already, deactivate it and use the one with this instead.
PPS: Don't even think about saving with this activated. Your computer WILL crash and your coffee will forever be unsweetened.
Thanks, guess I will backup and try this super pre pre pre alpha. :lol:

Cabrelbeuk
x4

Post by Cabrelbeuk » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 12:03

Just more rooms and a better interior (not talking about cockpit, new ones are cool) would be fine to get a enjoyable skunk.
AMD R7 2700X 3.7GHz - GTX 1070 Ti 8Go Asus cerberus - 16Go RAM 3200MHz - Asus Prime X470-Pro - LG 32" 4K 60Hz - SSD Samsung Evo850 512 GB - HDD Toshiba 2 To 7200 Tr/min - Onkyo HTS-7800 Dolby Atmos 5.1.2

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 16:31

Good luck XexrelFenix! Any feedback would be apreciated -- just remember there's not a lot implimented so far :)

@ Cabrelbeuk: I was thinking about adding the missing rooms, but will hold off until we see what Egosoft might introduce with 3.0 and the DLC... I don't think they'll be adding anything like what I'm doing currently, but there's a small possibility that they could add more to the skunk interior I guess.

blackmilan
xr

Post by blackmilan » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 18:39

I just gave the pre-alpha prototype proof-of-concept a try. This looks really promising. I will certainly follow this thread closely.

Thanks for bringing us this mod.

PS: If I may add a suggestion. On 720p the new HUD is very small and hard to read. I guess it will be working better on other resolutions, but maybe this is something you can take into account.

Sao t'Lp
x4

Post by Sao t'Lp » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 19:30

I really like the colour of the new HUD Elements, they're blending nicely into the default Skunk Cockpit.

Just some quick feedback: What I noticed is that the shields are constantly depleted when flying in a highway. I know it's due to the High-G Dampers but it might be a problem when you get attacked or want to attack something shortly after leaving the highway. (Maybe I just need to THINK more?) :roll:

BTW is it possible to implement this for other ships?
You want Split? :split:

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 19:42

@blackmilan: I did wonder how screen res would effect this...noted and thanks!

@Sao t'Lp: not sure quite what you mean by implement for other ships: do you mean having the effects work on other ships (eg they suffer from high g, engine wakes etc) or do you mean something like having a hud on say a cap ship that shows details for the cap?

Interesting about the highways and high gs ... a side effect I didn't consider.Mmmm ... what do you guys think ... should it stay this way? I think I kinda like the idea myself..*evil-grin*, makes 'fast-travel' a bit more dangerous and no just jumping out of the tubes to engage hostiles.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 19:47

Ginger470 wrote: Interesting about the highways and high gs ... a side effect I didn't consider.Mmmm ... what do you guys think ... should it stay this way? I think I kinda like the idea myself..*evil-grin*, makes 'fast-travel' a bit more dangerous and no just jumping out of the tubes to engage hostiles.
Why not both? My "Mk X Modules to improve the stats"-idea still stays quitely in the edge of this room waving kindly in your direction :D

It makes highway flights dangerous. In some missions the enemies are attacking you in the highway, so this mod makes them useless/impossible...

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Sao t'Lp
x4

Post by Sao t'Lp » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 20:03

Maybe it's possible to reduce the shield drain? Because the energy consumption is massive (at least with MK1 shields). Just 3 seconds later I am out of shield energy and I fear oxygen loses...

@ Ginger470: I meant shield drain through High-G and wake effects for other fighters. I think everything bigger would have enough room for the appropriate amount of subgenerators...

I noticed another thing don't know if you have implemented that yet buuut the wake level isn't shown on the HUD. The shields are still drained (I think)

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 20:13

Thanks Tamina -- that kind of info is perfect. I'll turn off the shield drain in highways -- I think we could rationalize it by saying that the highways themselves provide the needed g-assistance.

And I like the idea of mk X components. As I say, I'm still unsure about how to apply, destroy and repair these subsytems... I really don't want it to be a PITA.

I'm also considering, rather than mkX components that it's based off of power level

eg: supplying twice the power to the g dampers = g dampers mk2

But that also takes the joy outa finding rare subsystem upgrades... maybe a combination of both perhaps?

Sao t'Lp
x4

Post by Sao t'Lp » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 20:28

Ginger470 wrote:I'm also considering, rather than mkX components that it's based off of power level

eg: supplying twice the power to the g dampers = g dampers mk2

But that also takes the joy outa finding rare subsystem upgrades... maybe a combination of both perhaps?
You mean some kind of power management? ALL ENERGY TO THE SHIELDS! 8) I would go with both. Maybe make only the reactor upgradebale and decide what to do with the power? (Similar to FTL) Then you could find something like rare reactor upgrades or rare component upgrades with more efficency...

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 20:30

@Sao t'Lp: Implementing for other ships would be expensive in terms of script-time I think.

There are no heat effects for anything below an M class ship at the mo... the main idea of the engine wakes is to stop the player parking behind a cap ship to take it out.

That said, it'd be easy enough to add any ship to the script -- might give it a go and see if there's enough output from those small engines to register.

I'll check the wake level ... I thought it was working... but just confirm the following:

1. you're behind an engine of a class M or larger ship
and
2. The way this works is like a spoon in a fire.... (spoon being skunk, fire being engine exhaust). The spoon won't heat up immediately, it'll take a bit of time, gradually getting hotter and hotter. Same thing coming out of a wake ... the skunk will cool down gradually just like the spoon. It'll still be hot for a bit, even after leaving the flame. Based on re-enty temperatures, it looks like the Skunk can dissipate around 3000 deg F per second, so if the incoming temperature is less than that, the skunk will be fine :)

Also, temperatures are calculated based on distance from engine, speed and engine size.... so make sure it's a big ship flying fast.

FYI: The 'wake' is essentially a tube that extends directly behind the engine (actually it's slightly conical) plus there's a 'radiation bubble' right around the engine which is quite hot. The wake 'tube' is hottest at it's centre slowly dissipating as you reach the outer edge.

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 20:33

Yes, power management! What can I say, I like the idea of having to maybe make a decision between suffocating everyone in the backroom so I can get my trophy Xenon I ;)

'ALL POWER TO WEAPONS'
' ... but life support is failing'
'I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 20:38

Maybe it's possible to reduce the shield drain? Because the energy consumption is massive (at least with MK1 shields). Just 3 seconds later I am out of shield energy and I fear oxygen loses...
Shield drain is actually a quarter of what it should be based off what the booster drains.

In military flights this is a common problem if the bird is laden (fuel tanks etc). A limiter has to be thrown so the pilot doesn't exceed GS on the airframe. If a combat situation occurs, the excess weight (fuel tanks) are jettisoned allowing higher Gs.

Even then, it's possible for a pilot to push past airframe tolerances.

So I can make it easy or we can learn to fly within the envelope ;) :lol:

Sao t'Lp
x4

Post by Sao t'Lp » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 21:08

@Sao t'Lp: Implementing for other ships would be expensive in terms of script-time I think.
okay :(

The hot engine worked, I just had deactivated it :oops: But thank you for the extra information and clearing it up :)
Yes, power management! What can I say, I like the idea of having to maybe make a decision between suffocating everyone in the backroom so I can get my trophy Xenon I Wink

'ALL POWER TO WEAPONS'
' ... but life support is failing'
'I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
:lol: I like this decision thing :D
So I can make it easy or we can learn to fly within the envelope
Okay. Guess i really need to THINK then.. but better than breaking my ship :roll:

So far really nice work, kudos Ginger470!

XexrelFenix
x3ap

Post by XexrelFenix » Fri, 24. Oct 14, 01:03

Camping the back end of a capital thrusters, getting shot at station, selling shields then flying around. So many awkward tests. lol

Have you thought about using Ship Technicians and Mechanics as possible solution to repair the Skunk? By station or by crew members. ( Just a thought )

Consumption of wares like: Life Support System, Engine Components?

Should I hold on to the bugs I found or wait till its released as normal alpha? :P

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Fri, 24. Oct 14, 04:52

@XexrelFenix: I was thinking of using inventory items as inflight repair items...could possibly just use them throughout... great idea :)

And sure show me your bugs please ;) The more I fix now, the more I don't need to fix later :)

XexrelFenix
x3ap

Post by XexrelFenix » Fri, 24. Oct 14, 06:14

Ginger470 wrote:@XexrelFenix: I was thinking of using inventory items as inflight repair items...could possibly just use them throughout... great idea :)

And sure show me your bugs please ;) The more I fix now, the more I don't need to fix later :)
They are just minor problems imo:

-Structural creaking sound still plays on platform/station interior.
-This one I can't reproduce anymore but the new GUI was at other places beside the Skunk's cockpit. i.e Engineer platform.

Other: That sound should get more louder and severe according to hull damage.

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Fri, 24. Oct 14, 08:50

Thank you Xexrel :) Noted and will be fixed !

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 02:03

Can't upload the fixes just yet, but here's what's new:

Added: Micrometeoroids
These little buggers have more kinetic energy than the Mass driver of TC/AP. I thought they deserved a place :) You will occasionally encounter a micrometeoroid shower which is mostly harmless but sounds purdy. However, you'll not want to hang around too long as there's a (small) chance you'll get hit by something a little larger. And now, as your hull keeps your air in, you'll not want it perforated ;)

These showers will also effect other ships -- we'll see how that works out as I can imagine some xs civilians not fairing too well :(

Added: Air pressure gauge to hud
Added: S class ships to hot engines

Fixed: No more shield drain in highways
Fixed: Sounds playing outside the skunk
Fixed: High g drains the shield slightly less
Fixed: hud shouldn't appear anywhere other than the skunk

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”