MIS: More Immersive Skunk -- [POC] New Interiors, subsytems etc

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Mon, 23. Feb 15, 14:51

This looks truly awesome. A few quick questions, Is the Download on the first page the latest build of the project?, and is this mod compatible with 3.5b?

EDIT: Just gave this a go on 3.5b. Worked a treat, though I'm not sure if I was missing anything or not from the sidebar (3.5 changed a lot of how UI mods worked and broke a lot of existing mods WRT the sidebar).

I find myself not wanting to uninstall this...

A few thoughts;
I found myself unable to exit highways (I used the DL on the first page, hoping this is the latest build but will check).
I found myself unable to stop the ship with retro-booster (reverse thrusters).
I thought that the strafe function was a little too nerfed, although I absolutely love the physics WRT applying thrust and zeroing the throttle and having the inertia of the ship unaffected, it felt allot more like space should feel.
I thought the sweetFX settings may have been a little too drastic (I'm used to the Ency-Mod settings).

I suggest splitting the vector engines and the newtonian physics into separate Mods. I really want to keep the Newton Physics, but I also want to be able to buzz around like a sci-fi Harrier jet cross Apache Gunship WRT Strafing.
Last edited by Lander1979 on Mon, 23. Feb 15, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Mon, 23. Feb 15, 18:40

I had a look at the engine macro's in your mod and compared them to the originals and I think I understand how you got the semi-newtonian effects, however I can see it may be a problem trying to have both the effect and the retro boosters/reverse at the same time, as the effect depends on a low reverse acceleration.

I did however revert the strafing Accelleration and Speed variables back to their original settings for my specific engine, but kept the reverse set to the value you had it on, this gives me exactly what I want; A newtonian forward thrust but with humming bird strafe (and the ability to exit highways). :)

WRT the SweetFX settings, I used the settings file from the Ency-Mod to balance the gamma issue I was having.

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Tue, 24. Feb 15, 05:13

@lawyer237

With 3.5 on the horizon, things will be shaping up much quicker ... with the UI being accessible I can now finalize things rather than build out workarounds :) Long story short, I got sidetracked building out the interior of the Skunk (3d models etc) so I could produce a meaningful interface ... well, now I don't need to do that :)

@Lander1979

I think *my* latest build has alternative physics based on some comments previous in this thread that make more sense. The idea is that the fly-by-wire system controls non-newtonian flight -- if that is damaged (or turned off) then flight reverts to a more newtonian model.

I have to look at the lua files and see what's possible, but frankly the scripts are all pretty simple and don't need much more than some sliders and i/o buttons to interface so I'm really hoping 3.5 is the answer to all my dreams :)

Stay tuned

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Tue, 24. Feb 15, 15:26

I had a few holes put in the Skunks hull by a Xenon K, and I was wondering if there is a way to fix the failing systems? I docked up and got an engineer to do repairs, but the Hydraulics and Coolant systems are still steadily failing.

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Tue, 24. Feb 15, 18:56

Is your hull less than 100% ... if so you'll need to repair it (I believe the cutoff point is 75% hull integrity for systems to fail).

If not, I need to clean and upload my version here ;)

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Tue, 24. Feb 15, 19:10

I repaired the hull to 100% but the hydraulic and coolant systems are still failing, also noticed a jump in the save game size from 37mb to 53mb after taking damage.

Also the mis_gen_hyd_coolant mod is named MIS Hot Engines in the Extensions menu, and causes the menu to freeze when trying to turn it on or off.

Would love to see the latest build. :)

In case it helps, here is a zip (4.5mb) with a save shortly before taking damage (at 37mb in size), and another after the damage has taken place (53mb in size).http://www.mediafire.com/download/43665 ... zq/save.7z

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Tue, 24. Feb 15, 20:34

Thanks Lander, I'll take a look.

And just to remind EVERYONE this is still pre-pre-alpha so don't messup yer saves ;)

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Tue, 24. Feb 15, 22:15

Small update to files ... link in 1st post.

Remember, still alpha build .... lots left to do .... if it corrupts your save its your own fault for using it ;)

Other than that, have fun :)

@lander ... my time's a little limited at the moment, but I think this version has the repair stuff in place.... iirc all consumables (hydraulic fluids, coolant, oxygen) are replenished if you land on any station (i think the subsytems are repaired also) BUT BUT BUT IF THE HULL is damaged, the subsytems will FAIL AGAIN so get it repaired ASAP.

Also, if you don't have an engineer onboard the Skunk, I'd suggest you get one ;)

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Wed, 25. Feb 15, 03:06

Thankyou for the update ! :)

lawyer237

Post by lawyer237 » Wed, 25. Feb 15, 18:26

Second that. Thank you.

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Wed, 25. Feb 15, 23:29

Started a new game to ensure everything runs smoothly for testing.

I've noticed that the Mechanic has a few glitches (Not sure if it is from this mod or another but I suspect it is this one). Namely there is a UI freeze when trying to equip new Engines and the Inertial Hammer Mk2 (reloadui in the command line fixes the freeze). Also, there is a software available without a description for approx. 500k.
Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: False alarm, I have found the offending software. Turns out it was the mission computer mod having a fit after being unpacked from it's cat/dat files.
Last edited by Lander1979 on Thu, 26. Feb 15, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Thu, 26. Feb 15, 04:00

@Lander -- thanks for the feedback :)

The software wasn't me - I'm innocent :) Don't know where that would come from.

There's potential, I guess, for engines to cause a spike n CPU usage ... maybe more ... only just downloaded 3.5 (which is what you're using) so there may be some issues. Plus I believe I may not have had time to unweave sidebar extender from the mix.

For the most part there is only just a check to see whether an engineer is onboard -- and then the repair functions will run, but they're independent of EGO scripts. In fact I think the only thing that really touches EGO files are the two new weapon types (Safe Guns & Safe Missiles) and the damaged engines/newtonian engines ... so unless something has changed there ....

Feedback is always good -- this mod, it's fairly interwoven. It's kind like 10 mods that all interact, so there's always scope for some dev brain-farts along the way :)

jeroll3d
x3ap

Post by jeroll3d » Thu, 26. Feb 15, 10:25

For the curious, unbelieving, stupid and/or impatient here's the PRE-ALPHA-UNTESTED-UNFINISHED-YET-TO-BALANCE-UNBUGFIXED-SPECIAL-EDITION-VERSION-VERSION DOWNLOAD
ohhh...is ME!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Entusiasta da série X3! The best game.

werewolves?
x4

Post by werewolves? » Thu, 26. Feb 15, 22:42

I'm enjoying this a lot even at this stage, you do feel far more connected to the Skunk—it becomes fun just flying around stations, it feels like a proper shuttle. Great work.

The safety on the missiles is a great idea.

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Fri, 27. Feb 15, 02:10

The safety on the missiles is a great idea.
... until the missile loader is broken by a nasty Xenon swarm intent on making your beloved Skunk into roadkill... at which point, when weapons are too damaged, they'll get locked down into safe mode -- leaving you at the whim of anything that happens to come your way (until you can get them repaired).

"It's all great fun 'till someone loses an eye" :D

oliverjanda
xr

Post by oliverjanda » Fri, 27. Feb 15, 09:46

This mod is a really great idea! I hope you manage to finish it!

jeroll3d
x3ap

Post by jeroll3d » Fri, 6. Mar 15, 12:27

Is a fantastic idea. I can wait :D
Entusiasta da série X3! The best game.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 23. Apr 15, 14:18

How is this mod doing? Please keep up the great work!

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Sun, 26. Apr 15, 23:40

Real life has kinda got in the way, but I'm still planing on carrying on with this once time is a little more available :)

Informer
x4

Post by Informer » Sat, 16. May 15, 15:52

Hello,

I did had a look at your pre-alpha version, and I must say it is really a fine piece of work. I had to uninstall it again because of the performance, but I really hope you will find the time to get this going again.

Really nice work.
Information is power. But like all power, there are those who want to keep it for themselves (Aaron Swartz you will live forever)

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”