[MOD] Capital Ship Bridge

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 18:03

Litauen wrote: I was not aware of this that announcements are played OUTSIDE the stations. Should you be in the station when they start and then quickly leave the station to hear them?
Yes, I think I have been hearing them after undocking (I will reply again if I hear them without undocking). It doesn't feel odd since you can imagine some being of interest to ships nearby.
Litauen wrote: Can I use this sentence as testimonial in the Station Announcements page?
Yes, feel free to use the quote if you like =D
Litauen wrote: Currently dissecting Skunk cockpit, will try to master some platform from its parts for the monitors in front of empty chairs:
Awesome.

Dangerously, this give me another idea… If there was a way to make more doors or panels in the Skunk interactive*, perhaps you could ‘teleport’ the player in some of these ways:

1. From Main Entrance to the Cargobay (people always ask about this, lol).
2. From Meeting Room to the toilet :) OK, maybe not...
3. From Meeting Room out the airlock and into a Drone (ideally without drone HUD) as a pretend spacesuit.

4. Or perhaps trigger external view from a monitor in Main Entrance.

*(I have no idea if that is possible. Perhaps by using the code and graphics for the cockpit door button within the Main Entrance Area?)

...sorry, got a bit carried away.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 18:30

I can confirm that Station Announcements often play after undocking. Presumably they trigger while still on the platform, but the audio might not start until after you've been in space for a second or two.

I'm not complaining, though -- both Station Announcements and the bridge project here really enhance the game atmosphere.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 18:42

i just made some small compatibility tests: as i thought i need some smaller Logos - and this chair has to go :P - and there are other nice places where i could put some Logos.. but first things first - i need to create the smaller Logo Variants ^^ but before i start whith the time-consuming work of placing the Logos i would lie to know if the interior will stay roughly the same or if there are bigger changes planned ^^
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 20:20

UniTrader wrote:other
That was the very first thing I thought were they would fit! :D
I don't know if placing them on the ground would be such a good idea :/ At least I don't like it. :P Maybe a few small ones placed everywhere.

@Litauen
Sometimes I hear station announcements in highways. Actually from all station announcements outside of stations nearly everyone was in highways. Maybe just a coincidence.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Litauen
xr

Post by Litauen » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 21:05

@Vim Razz/Tamina - thank you, I will look into this highway announcements thing

@UniTrader - maybe on the ceiling? I am planning to move bridge to other coordinates but this should not impact ceiling at least

@Sparky Sparkycorp
perhaps you could ‘teleport’ the player in some of these ways
Yes, I am thinking about this also. I will add some props into the bridge in short time, then I want to restore landing platform with the Skunk. Shame to loose such beauty. Here I face a problem. I want to land on the landing platform, get out of the Skunk and go to the bridge somehow. This should feel logical and help immersion.

I can think of the following ways:

1. Long corridor as in station - easy to make, poor immersion, because short corridor feels bad on huge ship, long corridor - too boring to use every time
2. Stairs + corridor - lame
3. Working elevator as in some levels which you need to press - super lame, looks crappy
4. Elevator with magic button which would teleport player to the bridge - button is easy, teleportation - no idea how to make it happen, great immersion (maybe I can play some video during 'teleportation' also)

I searched through basic and md functions but could not find a way to move player from one place to another on the same station/platform. Some pointers from devs would help.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 21:32

Litauen wrote:1. Long corridor as in station - easy to make, poor immersion, because short corridor feels bad on huge ship, long corridor - too boring to use every time
2. Stairs + corridor - lame
3. Working elevator as in some levels which you need to press - super lame, looks crappy
4. Elevator with magic button which would teleport player to the bridge - button is easy, teleportation - no idea how to make it happen, great immersion (maybe I can play some video during 'teleportation' also)

I searched through basic and md functions but could not find a way to move player from one place to another on the same station/platform. Some pointers from devs would help.
corridors are no good idea if you have a full view around, except you want to do some complicated stuff (the Space around the Landing Platform is considered as skybox (even the Ship the Player is currently on), therefore the parts of the Platform and the corridors are always visible, even if they should be hidden by the geometry) - that approach will look weird.
additionally you have to make it individually for each and every Ship, which is much work..

i would use approach 3 or 4 (or a combination of both) - or for the beginning add the Bridge as second Landing Platform on every ship, because the Platform replacement is weird on Rahanas-Line Ships :D

for how to teleport the player: i think <warp object="player.entity" zone="$room" /> could work (or alternatively experiment with <add_actor_to_platform />), if we find out how to get a specific Room in a variable. problem there is that they dont exist if not needed..
here how they got a room/dock in the Plot as reference:

Code: Select all

<find_dock_location name="$DV_CanteranSec__Home_Station_Dock" container="$DV_CanteranSec__Home_Station" freemissionactorslot="true" required="true"/>
            <set_value name="$DV_CanteranSec__Home_Station_Dock_Component" exact="$DV_CanteranSec__Home_Station_Dock.component"/>
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Ebron
x4

Post by Ebron » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 21:56

If possible I would try to add one of those train you see outside the stations.
On a 3 or more km long ship I think is perfectly reasonable to have a train that transport personell from one point to the other.
Making it move while the player is inside would be probably be difficult so maybe just teleporting the player to the final station while pressing a consolle on the train would work better.

Litauen
xr

Post by Litauen » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 23:00

Workplace. Will add monitors later.

[ external image ]

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 23:08

This is just idea. But what if you add menu when docking to ship.

1)Dock to bridge- And you get automatically teleported to bridge.

2)Dock to hangar- And get docked to Skunk docking area.
Or something like that .....
This way if someone don't want walk around ship they can teleport to that location.
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 23:10

Definitely need the bridge in other places on some ships tho, I landed on the Arawn last night for a looksee, and it kinda looks wierd having the bridge where it is and still have the sides of the ship showing outside the window :lol:

As for moving player from landing platform to bridge, what about just having a teleport pad in the landing bay which if stepped on takes the player straight to the bridge, that way no corridors or elevators.
Link to the list of Mods working in X4-Foundations and also Link to the list of Mods working in X-Rebirth

NOTE: I play with a modded game, so any reports I make outlining suggestions/problems/bugs/annoyances, are made with mods installed and running.

Phipsz
x4

Post by Phipsz » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 23:31

I guess the teleport platform has the same issues as a elevator, except the elevator would be more immersive :roll: Of course it would be pretty awesome to be able to move around the ship, be it just from hangar to bridge by elevator.
But I have an idea how it may be solved for now... I don't know if it would actually work, but could you move the bridge to another place on the ship but keep the dockingport where it is? (if you know what i mean)

Freeman_79
xr

Post by Freeman_79 » Wed, 17. Sep 14, 04:21

Damn Litauen, nice work, and Egosoft said it wasent likely they will do cap_bridges anytime soon, but you cracked the nut, you deserve a job at Egosoft :)

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Wed, 17. Sep 14, 13:30

There already are some lifts in interiors.
Maybe they could be re-modelled, and reworked a little bit?
I don't think that a capship bridge would be that hard to make for Egosoft.

Ynesra

Post by Ynesra » Wed, 17. Sep 14, 22:06

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Wed, 17. Sep 14, 22:49

Ynesra wrote:About form and scale...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/920312/scr ... 1280287395
Those sorts of refinements can come in time, and will vary from ship to ship.

The real priority at this stage is to establish a working prototype to play around with and learn what works and what doesn't in terms of structuring the code and assets, what tools and resources are needed to make things work, how different ideas or arrangements affect gameplay interaction, and so on.

Once that template has reached a mature enough stage, then other folks might be able to help fill out the particular variations needed for different varieties of ship. It's too much work to expect one person to do everything.

In the meantime? sure it's a bit awkward from the back of a Taranis if you really think about it, but even if you match the Taranis perfectly then it's still going to look awkward from the deck of a Rahanas....

If you've got some particular design ideas that you'd like to explore, the tools and resources used in the development of this mod so far can be found in this thread.

Litauen
xr

Post by Litauen » Thu, 18. Sep 14, 17:55

Thank you guys for great input.

Update: 1.10 Workplaces with monitors

[ external image ]

@NZ-Wanderer - I will change default locations of landing platforms on all ships to have better view.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Thu, 18. Sep 14, 18:13

Epic work :)

Peter Hull
x3tc

Post by Peter Hull » Thu, 18. Sep 14, 19:43

I got a real shock seeing all those monitors, Fantastic :)

Is there anyway to have the crew standing near the seats? I tried moving them in the save file, but they re-spawn to original positions if you re-dock

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Thu, 18. Sep 14, 20:41

Very very very nice work dude!!!!! It's awsome to see your bridge and the latest one with monitors... just wonderdull!!!

I'm sad I can't help you with coding as my XML level is close to your first hour in a dev school.... I can read it, quite understand it but I don't have the mind to be helpfull...

Anyway I keep a close eye on your work (as Ego should like they did for NESA...) and will report back my impressions and ideas...

No stress but you got gold in your hands here!!

Best regards
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

Ynesra

Post by Ynesra » Fri, 19. Sep 14, 12:34

Great work! IMHO, the bridge should be a bit darker, like Skunks cockpit.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”