[REQUEST] Dynamic economy and corporations

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Valkore
x3tc

[REQUEST] Dynamic economy and corporations

Post by Valkore » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 19:34

Hello modders! I see you're busy fixing the poorly implemented features and are making an encouraging progress!

However, once that is done and all the features are better integrated and bugs gone I do believe more must be done to make this a much more enjoyable game. From what I've seen and read, at the core it has the potential to be much better than X3TC/AP ever was, especially in terms of economy simulation, except the fact it hasn't been programmed quite as properly as Bernd declared in many interviews and preview videos.
So, a few requests that I believe will make more people interested in buying the game, including me:

1) An automation option similar to Patrician 4 would be suitable. Not entirely "fire and forget" and it involves the "think" part, with necessary adjustments depending on circumstances. Selecting a series of stations along a trade route in-system or intersystem and the list of wares the freighter can trade in + price adjustments for the micromanagement fans would provide the options everyone wants. The people who just want a cash source can just set the freighter to "auto-trade specific ware" and just select the stations it should visit, forgetting about it, while the complexity lovers would be able to adjust the settings for max-profit or max ware utilization.

2) Evolving economy - stations grow or shrink depending on how well they are supplied. Similar to the previous engine of the X3 games but not quite. Makes sense that a non-profitable station would start to cut the losses by demolishing some under-used modules. So for example if a power station is always supplied with food and is always empty of e-cells because your freighters keep buying up all the energy, then it adds extra solar panel modules or extra generators or whatever until your freighters stop completely emptying the stores. But if said power station always has a full E-cell storage or no food at all because your recently constructed energy complex is taking away all the business, then it starts decommissioning modules until perhaps it's completely demolished.
Another aspect of this point might be that corporations expand based on opportunity and circumstance. For example, if you keep building drone fabs and the market becomes short on e-cells then PMC will construct two extra power plants, apart from increasing their already existent stations. Republic of cantera starts expanding if you keep their stations stuffed with wares and clear the Reivers from the abandoned zones, or build stations yourself.
This would probably require a lot of fine tuning and coding but I believe this is how the game should have worked after looking at all the interviews and descriptions.

3) Corporation-specific behavior - again coming back to how XR was presented before, corporations were supposed to be a major part of the gameplay, constantly interacting with the player in every aspect of the gameplay. I don't see this happening in XR, even if the trading system is fixed and all the bugs removed. They're not even a competitor, let alone any interesting part of the universe, they act just like any generic faction. Even the Freelancer factions had more personality, and made me interested in them to the point in which I would support one against the other because their ideals suited mine. I would like to see the same immersion in XR. For example, I might actually agree with PMC that order can only be brought about through force (hey Ren's father had been a happy employee of the PMC, right?) and help them against the anarchic Heart of Albion rebels. But they would have to have a personality, not just another generic owner of stations. I want to see them act like a tyrannical corporation, constantly sabotaging any competition, aggressively expanding everywhere, gaining monopoly on rare resources and charging exorbitant prices for them to the point where they force me to support the Heart of Albion to bring them down so I can open a station in the system. Heart of Albion, on the other hand, would have a policy of always picking on PMC operations, sporting lower prices for wares and trying to trade in the basic tier goods such as energy and food, and once DeVries is open they would expand there, supporting Cantera with the necessary wares.
Summary: I want the corporations to feel alive, not simple faction place-holders. So far the races and corporations in X3TC/AP interacted with the players a lot better, and had personality (ie you always expected the boron to deal fairly with you, the split to always try to shoot you, the paranid to always insult you and so on).

Question: Can any of these ideas be implemented in the current game with the current tools?

Cheers

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”