[MOD] SHIP REBALANCE Realistic physics and full/assisted inertia (V1.5)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Deleted User

Newtonian flight?

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 12:46

Would it be possible to put full-fledged newtonian flight for all ships?

Privata
x4

Re: Newtonian flight?

Post by Privata » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 13:25

Dark_Ansem wrote:Would it be possible to put full-fledged newtonian flight for all ships?
I did that as a test.
and guess what?
The Ai is actualy very good at it , they seem to split along and turn in your direction and shoot at you like in the remake of BSG.

Realspace
x4

Re: Newtonian flight?

Post by Realspace » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 13:40

Privata wrote:
Dark_Ansem wrote:Would it be possible to put full-fledged newtonian flight for all ships?
I did that as a test.
and guess what?
The Ai is actualy very good at it , they seem to split along and turn in your direction and shoot at you like in the remake of BSG.
really!!!?? good..that was preventing me from doing it, the fact that normally AI is scripted around the physics the devs put so if you add all that strafing NPC ships get on crashing anywhere...please test it further and report. I think we can combine the mods.

I was considering to change other ships too. Not at a full newtonian flight but increasing a lot 1) strafing and 2) top speed. That would make them much more dangerous for the player.

Weapon range has to be increased too. That is is easy to do, and there are already some mods.
Last edited by Realspace on Sun, 24. Nov 13, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

Privata
x4

Post by Privata » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 13:42

ok np.
as of yet I only tested it on S class ships , and I stop testing last night when I got the enemies not doing anything (stoping in mid space) during a station defense mission.

however it seems it might be a vanilla bug as well.

what I did is I used the templates you maid for the player engines and gave them to S ships.

So I will resume testing

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 13:45

Privata wrote: however it seems it might be a vanilla bug as well.
I think too. It happens too often to me too. They sit there doing nothing. Then you shoot and only at the end they remember to shoot back. Quite weird

I wrote a short surviving guide for those players not used to realistic inertial flight, see the home :wink:

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 14:11

amazing.
I hope this bug you speak of is addressed in a new patch!

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 14:48

Version 1.31, minor changes but I think now it makes more sense to spend so much money on higher engines. If inertia is too much for you I suggest u choose the class of manouvrable engines (they are not as in vanilla but close to the vanilla starting engine if you buy the mk5). If you are a strong heart :D can choose the speed class, front/back acceleration much improved, but be carefull inertia is challenging :wink:

Privata
x4

Post by Privata » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 16:30

Ladies and gentlemen and laars , I have the honor of saying that I can confirm that the ai ships seem to fly better with newton physics than vanila , why? how? I dont know but here is a nice example

vanilla , the ships act like in X3 (well when there not affected by the do nothing bug) they fly towards you shoot one or two hits and fly off , and TRY to do it again but most time they dont , so they fly off again to try again , again , gain

BUT (dramatic music) with AI using this mod configuration , they actualy use BSG style combat techniques ! yes that right sliding in space in a direction while facing each other and shooting tones of bullets , that right , REAL space combat in SPACE (see what I did there REALSPACE hihihihi :P)

annyway , I dont know about big ships , im going to try giving the Xenon K some good engines sins after all we all know its just an overgrown version of the P

but I wont be uploading anything becose it aint my mod , unless RS want me to works with him/her/laar/other/or one of the many genders of paranid

so what makes me so happy ? well I ovbsered a single Xenon N flying , it kind of got stuck inbetween stations it its own space but this is normal and it was not yet attaking me , once it saw me , it did a half circle faced me and shot lots and lots of bullets at me

so , lets all do our victory dance and all that guff

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 20:50

OF COURSE. Please share all you want, we have the same vision of the game, I do this modding only to make the game more suitable to my (our would say) game style, the more we are to adress things the faster we have 1/more mods (with xml it is easy to make it modular) to make the space....REAL! i.e. challenging and fun!

It would be a good spare of time if you can do the tricks for the small ships, so I can focus on other things. Just give me an example of the values you are using. I guess you're not eliminating strafe at all right? i.e. similar to the ASSIST not the REAL inertia, right?

I see a lot of new featrures we can open with this thing, combat of course but also if we can make it possible enter/exit the super-highways anywhere then some secret bases and threasures can be put, but the player has to risk by exiting in the empty space and missing the way back. He can use satellites (as in x3) or release beacons.

When we finally can make the full newtonian engine available as secondaqry engine then you can experience the long travel, I did it with the broken planet just to see it close, it is possible you can even leave the super-hghways and go at full booster. Just download the RS_Physics_FULL and try yourself! :D

http://static1.nexusmods.com/154/mods/1 ... 322707.jpg
http://static1.nexusmods.com/154/mods/1 ... 322954.jpg

Yisha watches the broken planet before crashing down.. :D
http://static2.nexusmods.com/154/mods/1 ... 322805.jpg

bbeach
x4

Post by bbeach » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 18:11

It actually kind of makes sense that the AI is ok with it.

Is my target in front of me? Yes --> Lead the target, chase, and shoot; No --> Maneuver so my target is in front of me.

So if the AI has a target in front of them, they aim in front of it the whole time burning their engines. That is going to make them slide. If the AI has someone behind them, they try to evade (spin in circles and turn) so you end up with one ship turning in on the attacker and the attacker turning on their prey and you end up with both ships going in circles shooting at eachother.

I think capital ships might have problems docking, and the way they use their booster engines could cause one to get thrown into the void.

theqmann
x4

Post by theqmann » Tue, 26. Nov 13, 04:05

I still don't understand why the strafing doesn't work. Isn't the strafing just lateral and vertical acceleration?

What happens if you leave it on?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 26. Nov 13, 13:34

Please read the previous posts, I explained the reason of this counter-intuitive physics in X universe. There is some kind of "air friction" coded, to remove it you have to remove the strafe that is not a thuster's input BUT a kind of augmented resistance/friction you can apply, but if you removed it you can't apply it anymore.

WE NEED A GOOD SCRIPTER THAT CAN MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO SWITCH BETWEEN 2 ENGINES. SOMEBODY?

Privata
x4

Post by Privata » Tue, 26. Nov 13, 13:54

Realspace wrote:OF COURSE. Please share all you want, we have the same vision of the game, I do this modding only to make the game more suitable to my (our would say) game style, the more we are to adress things the faster we have 1/more mods (with xml it is easy to make it modular) to make the space....REAL! i.e. challenging and fun!

It would be a good spare of time if you can do the tricks for the small ships, so I can focus on other things. Just give me an example of the values you are using. I guess you're not eliminating strafe at all right? i.e. similar to the ASSIST not the REAL inertia, right?

I see a lot of new featrures we can open with this thing, combat of course but also if we can make it possible enter/exit the super-highways anywhere then some secret bases and threasures can be put, but the player has to risk by exiting in the empty space and missing the way back. He can use satellites (as in x3) or release beacons.

When we finally can make the full newtonian engine available as secondaqry engine then you can experience the long travel, I did it with the broken planet just to see it close, it is possible you can even leave the super-hghways and go at full booster. Just download the RS_Physics_FULL and try yourself! :D

http://static1.nexusmods.com/154/mods/1 ... 322707.jpg
http://static1.nexusmods.com/154/mods/1 ... 322954.jpg

Yisha watches the broken planet before crashing down.. :D
http://static2.nexusmods.com/154/mods/1 ... 322805.jpg
alright then , I guess were a team know .
I will work more on giving the NPCs engines and when I feel it is a good balance I will upload them
the first pack will be S class ships
then I will do the rest class by class , when everything is done I might give them a revisit if needed and get the hole thingy out

veronique
x3tc

Post by veronique » Tue, 26. Nov 13, 14:02

I so want to play this mod, will have to wait for campaign finish and start a new game :)

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 26. Nov 13, 15:14

veronique wrote:I so want to play this mod, will have to wait for campaign finish and start a new game :)
If you just want to change the physics u can install it now, it is the NoLanes that requires a new start not the Phyisics :wink:

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 26. Nov 13, 15:19

VERSION 1.4 RELEASED

Updated both ASSIST and FULL. I introduced smaller increments in the trottle you settle with the mouse wheel, this way even if top speed is huge (as in FULL) you can finelly set the speed you need for the fight tactics or simply to approach a station at 5% speed.

The future of this mod is for me this: making possible to switch between ASSIST and FULL. FULL can then be used also for travelling the long distances since when you cut the engine your ship continues to drift indefinetly. This means the player can choose not to use the superhighways.. Of course we need to implement some benefit for this such as hidden bases or loot in deep space.

Central
x4

Post by Central » Tue, 26. Nov 13, 16:07

is it possible to add strafing in FULL inertia mode?

also increasing reverse thrusters would be nice to have.

and how about adding inertia not only to engines but also to rudder?

Privata
x4

Post by Privata » Tue, 26. Nov 13, 17:33

Here you go http://xrebirth.nexusmods.com/mods/259/?

know the S ships will fly like real spaceships !

Bumpy

Post by Bumpy » Tue, 26. Nov 13, 20:18

Central wrote:is it possible to add strafing in FULL inertia mode?

also increasing reverse thrusters would be nice to have.

and how about adding inertia not only to engines but also to rudder?
i use the assisted version and agree, reverse thrusters would be very important.

would it be possible implementing that using maybe the normal reverse trust`s highest`s stage (full reverse) having not 100% reverse but maybe 1000% ?

or moding the "BACKSPACE" function giving an reverse boost as long you press the button ?

Bumpy

Post by Bumpy » Tue, 26. Nov 13, 22:40

tested that new version having the boosters also on the smaller traders enabled, thanks !

...while following an intermediate trader group, i noticed that they use its boosters not only inside sectors from zone to zone, but also for travels from sector to sector ? ...just asking because i followed them and after some time we was far far out of the common zone distances which is about 600km`s but we reached 5000km`s allready.

...so if iam right, would it possible that they make use of the super highways, because it seams they need endless time reaching another sector using its boosters, which are not so powerfull as the players booster.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”