Is this game playable after modding?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

firestorm79
x4

Is this game playable after modding?

Post by firestorm79 » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 15:52

Hi guys as I'm sure most of you are aware the general discussion forum is awash with rage threads about bugs, broken UI, broken gameplay etc etc

It has been enough to put me off buying X:R for a good while.

But whenever I turn my attention to the scripts and modding forums I almost get a tear in my eye.

You guys are the unsung martyrs of the x community. If Bernd and Co don't give you guys a good helpnig of props and credit I will lose any last trace of respect I have left for them.

Having said all that my question is simple (and I am sure it has been asked before, but I couldn't find the thread), is the game playable, and even better enjoyable once modded with the 'essential' mods?

If the answer is yes and yes then the next question is what do you guys think are the essential mods?

And finally what will happen to my modded save game, if and when EGO get around to releasing patch nuber 1.123212312??

Your eternal fanboy.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 15:57

I wont answer the first half of the question as it would likely be seen as blatant self promotion.

However about the patching, i personally keep my mod up to date releasing updates to it as egosoft patch the game so that it doesn't stop working, and i will do so for at least the foreseeable future.

Because of the way modding works now, compared to X3, threes alot lower chance of a patch breaking a mod, unless the mod has been made incorrectly, or has no other choice but to replace big chunks of the game code.

firestorm79
x4

Post by firestorm79 » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 16:17

Jack08 wrote:I wont answer the first half of the question as it would likely be seen as blatant self promotion.
thanks for the info on patches/mods.

but my initial question still stands do these mods make X:R playable/enjoyable? I need to know the general consensus on this before I fork out £40...

Please feel free to self-promote! As for 'essential' mods, again feel free to list your own mods if you feel that they are essential to the playibility and enjoyability of X:R!

spacecoyote99
x4

Post by spacecoyote99 » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 16:31

My 2 cents: the combination of Egosoft's official patches and especially Jack's command mod have made the game just about playable for me. There are thankfully also mods that remove some of the more tedious minigames already. There's also a mod that fixes the most common problems with mobile miner ships.

Free play is mostly working for me now but there is still a long list of annoyances and bugs to work around. The plot I believe is still massively bugged in many places

I'm sure many folks would still say "unplayable" but I can build stations now, I can trade somewhat reliably, I can capture large ships and they are properly repaired by my engineers, I can order my ships to stay put or follow me. So basically playable enough to keep me entertained while more patches are coming in. But if you can bear to wait, I'd say give it another week or two. Egosoft is releasing patches almost daily. Things will look better then.

KRM398
xr

Post by KRM398 » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 18:34

If its playable or not depends on how you play. But yes, the mods are saving this game from my standpoint, and they did it for another X game before that shall remain nameless.

After seeing the first day and a half of the unmodded game I was ready to go fly dragons or something, but as soon as our guys jumped in I see light at the end of the tunnel...its a LOONG tunnel but its getting better. Right now my game is just a shelf for me to put my extensions on to make it better,lol.

Captain Lemmiwinks
x3ap

Post by Captain Lemmiwinks » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 18:42

cannot answer for everyone...

but the guy who gave me his game is now hinting at returning it,and thats because hes also watching this forum.

@Greg

sod off,you gave it to me,and no,i aint answering the front door to you :lol:

nalim27
x4

Post by nalim27 » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 21:19

No it still will not be playable (but mod help very much).
Some core problems are still there till Egosogt fix them.

I suggest to you to enjoy Xmass, Happy New Ear .... Happy Marth and then you should go back to the forum what game works.
Mine rig - X4 ready :-) Windows 10 64b
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X (stock clocks 3.7GHz + 4.3GHz boost), 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM,
GPU: AMD Vega64 8 GB HBM, played on 2569x1440, Freesync2
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCI-ex

CPU before 1.7.2018: Intel Xeon E5450@3.6GHz, 8GB DDR2 800MHz RAM,

bluenog143
x3tc

Post by bluenog143 » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 21:33

nalim27 wrote:No it still will not be playable (but mod help very much).
Some core problems are still there till Egosogt fix them.

I suggest to you to enjoy Xmass, Happy New Ear .... Happy Marth and then you should go back to the forum what game works.
I'd have to agree with this, it's still too early in my opinion. If you haven't got the game, I would say hold off until EGOSOFT has had more time to patch and until the modders have had more time to work their magic.

I would only recommend you get X:R right now if you're serious about modding it and you want to get some time to dissect the game and learn more about it.
SinisterDeath wrote:This reminds me of something...

"I don't believe in GoD, but GoD sure believes in blowing up my factories."
Dark_Ansem wrote:Seeing your creation in-game and working makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

firestorm79
x4

Post by firestorm79 » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 22:28

Thx for all the input guys. I think in that case I will wait. Perhaps start playing xtc... That should keep me going...

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”