Do we have an indication of modibility yet?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

leecarter
x3tc

Do we have an indication of modibility yet?

Post by leecarter » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 01:33

Have any of the old guard of modders provided us with an idea of how easy or deeply this game can be modded?

What I'm getting at is, will it be possible to change some of the flawed fundamentals of the game or are we only talking lighter UI/Visual type mods?

Tyrant597
x4

Post by Tyrant597 » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 01:50

Mods are already rolling out. Check the modding section for more info.

Seon
x4

Post by Seon » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 02:13

I don't think they have an idea of the scope just yet, but people are already breaking things open to see (like the thread about the AI scripts and all the TODO's). Though I'm betting modders might be able to fix some stuff.

SyberSmoke
x4

Re: Do we have an indication of modibility yet?

Post by SyberSmoke » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 03:46

leecarter wrote:Have any of the old guard of modders provided us with an idea of how easy or deeply this game can be modded?

What I'm getting at is, will it be possible to change some of the flawed fundamentals of the game or are we only talking lighter UI/Visual type mods?
A moderator stated that there is not allot of the game that is hard coded. the AI, behaviors, textures...models...most of the game can be undone or redone. It will just take time to learn it all.

I look forward to seeing what people come up with.

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 03:53

It looks like almost everything should be editable right now, outside of the base UI stuff - and that base UI stuff is because the LUA files are precompiled and decompilers don't work on them. If Egosoft released the LUA source code and compiler options, it should be possible to massively edit some of the UI stuff, too.

X games have always been pretty editable, and X:R looks to be the most moddable of any of them.

EDIT: Though one thing that's going to be disappointing - I'm not sure that there's any way to make it so you can fly other ships than the Skunk.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”