Is there scripting?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

monsto

Is there scripting?

Post by monsto » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 05:24

Lots of games use lua for scripting. . . to create event sequences and decision trees, etc.

Is there such a thing here? If so where's the docs for it? the guide sticky didn't refer to scripting, and I wouldn't expect a forum titled "scripts..." if there were no scripting.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 05:29

Refer to my response here. :wink:

monsto

Post by monsto » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 05:50

I wasn't necessarily talking about an ingame editor or the like.

Ok XML files. I can do that. But is there docs specifically on scripting? I'm somewhat of a web developer by trade and have done some minor piddling with Skyrim mods/scripting. I'm not asking about a Creation Kit equivalent, but there is an entire section of that wiki devoted to docs for the scripting.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 06:14

The only scripts per se are in the form of xml files. Primarily, this involves files in the \aiscripts and \md folders. The aiscripts files closely parallel the old AI scripts in X3 in terms of functionality - except written in a different language.

If you unpack the game files and examine the various xml files in those folders, you will see how they are working.

Beyond that, there are no other "scripts" to access.

[EDIT] I am in the process of creating a Wiki for documentation. Also, soon there will be official documentation available on Mission Director and possibly other subjects.

monsto

Post by monsto » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 09:48

Observe wrote: [EDIT] I am in the process of creating a Wiki for documentation. Also, soon there will be official documentation available on Mission Director and possibly other subjects.
I've not played nor scripted for previous games. so those comparisons are lost on me. My experience is with scripting is from traditional means.

Even so, you answered the question as quoted above. Will that be coming from official sources?[/b]

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 17:04

monsto wrote:Even so, you answered the question as quoted above. Will that be coming from official sources?
Yes, Egosoft will be providing official documentation for modders. I'm not sure when this will occur or exactly what it will consist of, but it will include a manual for Mission Director and possibly other subjects as well.

Currently there is an instruction manual for the version of Mission Director used in X3, and much of that information is still valid. If you look at the old manual in conjunction with examining the new files, you will get a good idea how to proceed writing your own code.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”