Change ship appearance - first ideaas

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Deleted User

Change ship appearance - first ideaas

Post by Deleted User » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 20:39

I was thinking about how complicated would it be to change ship appearance...

What kind of problems could we expect?

It should be around the same size, allow for upgrades and whatnot, as a start. what else do you think?

Noimageavaiable
x3ap

Post by Noimageavaiable » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 20:42

Size doesn't seem to matter, since you don't actually dock anywhere. You just magically teleport into the hangar bay.

ishmaeltheforsaken
x4

Post by ishmaeltheforsaken » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 21:04

The CE art has one concept that places the cockpit in the center with fins extending forward on either side. It looks really cool and I'd love to see someone try and make it and put it in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Skunk looks fine as is, but that concept was great.

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 22:30

ishmaeltheforsaken wrote:The CE art has one concept that places the cockpit in the center with fins extending forward on either side. It looks really cool and I'd love to see someone try and make it and put it in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Skunk looks fine as is, but that concept was great.
Yes. That would be a fine Skunk replacement.

BlackStar7713
x4

Post by BlackStar7713 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 02:14

ishmaeltheforsaken wrote:The CE art has one concept that places the cockpit in the center with fins extending forward on either side. It looks really cool and I'd love to see someone try and make it and put it in the game.

If someone manages to do this, it'll be a really great mod.
Hopefully a skilled modeler sees this.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 08:31

someone has an image of that?

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 13:15

At the current moment doing any 3d stuff is impossible unless someone has worked out all the file formats. We have to wait for that or ego to help us which i cant see being anytime soon.

Halconnen
x3tc

Post by Halconnen » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 13:23

http://i.imgur.com/1avo0Lx.png

Seems like the side fins would block the side view from the cockpit.

But given currently immovable PoV that's not a problem anyway. :P

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 14:33

Halconnen wrote:http://i.imgur.com/1avo0Lx.png

maybe it CAN be done..

Sheik
x3tc

Post by Sheik » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 20:41

Jesus rollerblading Christ. THAT CONCEPT ART IS FCKING AWESOME! as Mr. Torgue would say. I can't wait for a proper modding support so we can actually fix the design of everything.
Wer nicht mehr liebt und nicht mehr irrt, der lasse sich begraben.

azmuth
xr

Post by azmuth » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 21:28

Halconnen wrote:http://i.imgur.com/1avo0Lx.png

Yeah that's one bad ass ship to be sure. Wonder why they didn't go with it, or if they plan to include in the future through some story element. Anyway, would be nice to see some options, that's for sure.

johncage

Post by johncage » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:12

lol that fin ship looks moronic.

more wings in space stupidity

soooo glad they didn't go with that concept.

kamikazi1231
x3tc

Post by kamikazi1231 » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 05:48

I think the front wings are a little large. But something smaller that has functional parts on it like missile launchers could work. Even without the front wings I like the look of that concept art. Just replace the front wings with missiles or drone bays.

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 05:54

kamikazi1231 wrote:I think the front wings are a little large. But something smaller that has functional parts on it like missile launchers could work. Even without the front wings I like the look of that concept art. Just replace the front wings with missiles or drone bays.
Agreed; the front wings aren't needed at all for that design to kick ass.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 06:18

killerog wrote:At the current moment doing any 3d stuff is impossible unless someone has worked out all the file formats. We have to wait for that or ego to help us which i cant see being anytime soon.

well, i already did some model modification.. nothing with the models of the Parts themselves, just exchanging a buy port with a sell port, but it seems the Object parts are linked to each other via xmls, see for example the assets/structures/build_trees/struct_bt_alb_fuelstation.xml
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 08:00

UniTrader wrote:
killerog wrote:At the current moment doing any 3d stuff is impossible unless someone has worked out all the file formats. We have to wait for that or ego to help us which i cant see being anytime soon.

well, i already did some model modification.. nothing with the models of the Parts themselves, just exchanging a buy port with a sell port, but it seems the Object parts are linked to each other via xmls, see for example the assets/structures/build_trees/struct_bt_alb_fuelstation.xml
that alone shows how moddable this game is.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 10:02

Dark_Ansem wrote:that alone shows how moddable this game is.
No, it just shows that parts can be exchanged...
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Kittens David

Re: Change ship appearance - first ideaas

Post by Kittens David » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 12:02

Dark_Ansem wrote:I was thinking about how complicated would it be to change ship appearance...

What kind of problems could we expect?

It should be around the same size, allow for upgrades and whatnot, as a start. what else do you think?
Before changing the ship look, you should first be able to see it through an external cam which the game DOESN'T have... So first is to ADD external camera....

tn_prvteye
x3tc

Post by tn_prvteye » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 21:55

Yeah, the only real aesthetic problem I have with the game is The Skunk...I hate the way it looks. And it's sitting right there every time I dock. So, maybe you'd just have to change THAT model instead. Does the game even render an external model of the Skunk in space?

WebWalker
x3tc

Post by WebWalker » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 02:44

tn_prvteye wrote:Yeah, the only real aesthetic problem I have with the game is The Skunk...I hate the way it looks. And it's sitting right there every time I dock. So, maybe you'd just have to change THAT model instead. Does the game even render an external model of the Skunk in space?
Have you been in a drone yet?

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”