Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

alpha_one_x86

Well you win

Post by alpha_one_x86 » Mon, 9. Nov 15, 22:17

Well you win, I install steam on my linux.
But I remain on my position:
The game should like from linuxgamepublishing for X3R, DRM free.
And need more optimization, I have correct configuration and seam slow on Windows, where better game is fast. Maybe you need come learn optimization into my company. :P

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 17:16

Did anyone have a chance to test joystick/controller support? If so, any issues? How was the default mapping - did you need to change any axis/buttons?

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Thu, 12. Nov 15, 06:31

Is there something I should make to switch to beta version? I think I have still alfa. I have the same issues I had several months ago and alfa version title when loading game. As I checked in changelog there were several fixes for memory leaks but I can't see any difference.

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 01:03

rmazurek wrote:Is there something I should make to switch to beta version? I think I have still alfa. I have the same issues I had several months ago and alfa version title when loading game. As I checked in changelog there were several fixes for memory leaks but I can't see any difference.
here

But after making the related procedure(last friday) with Ubuntu 14.04, steam (or the game, not sure) ask to switch back to a linux version (3.61)
rboerdijk wrote:Did anyone have a chance to test joystick/controller support? If so, any issues? How was the default mapping - did you need to change any axis/buttons?
Did you add the support on Lin19 ?!? If so, I'll plan a test tomorrow :) That pleeeease me so :twisted:
Even without any test, I can assure you to remap every single axis(3j)/button(12) of my gamepad :mrgreen: Every X games I played inherit an x-y correction on one or two sticks once switched to linux (steam or not) with a basic jstest-gtk in example

@alpha_one_x86: If you have time to help, there are one or two topics on patch public betas related to significant performance drops, on precise cases...
Finally, I personally suspect the game not running well below 12GB ram. Sadly, I actually couldn't make the test to verify that it's merely a memory issue.
On se rend vers la connaissance avec circonspection.
c.a.d, avec un immense respect et la peur au ventre.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 01:57

Thanks a lot. I missed that info somehow.

EDIT:

After I switched to beta, when I try to run game, I get information that this is alfa and I have to change it to alfa in game properties. Disabled all mods and even reinstalled the game.

Any advice? Can't find anything about this issue.

Gligli, I have this issue on Debian so it's general Debian related or game itself.

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 10:00

Excellent, thank you.
Which distro are running? And what kind of rig?

Maybe just a confusion in terms somewhere...
Beta for Windows release candidates
Alpha for Linux and MacOS because colours still miss on the map regard to Betas. (:D I mean other features as well, of course)

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 10:10

Debian, testing branch.

You mean that beta is for windows and for Linux there is still only alfa?

EDIT: OK I see the problem. I mean beta like
2015-07-27 11:30 UTC - 3.60 Build 13 (public beta rc1, 198294):
and there is another beta as general beta version not related to Linux branch. Geting more and more confused with this names.

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 10:41

Sorry, I have understand that you could run the game...
Actually I'm not sure that Beta 4.0 is available under Linux.
There are differences, in terms, between this forum and steam... If I'm right.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 11:21

No problem. At least I verified that I have current version (reinstalled the game and next reinstalled Steam itself and the game). And still I have the same issues.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:15

Hi, to clear up any confusion -

The latest mac/linux version is 3.61 hotfix 2 ( with some additional joystick and shader changes )

The 4.0 beta's are not ( yet ) available for osx and linux.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:21

OK I don't need version 4. I do need working any version at all.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:23

Gligli wrote: Did you add the support on Lin19 ?!? If so, I'll plan a test tomorrow :) That pleeeease me so :twisted:
Even without any test, I can assure you to remap every single axis(3j)/button(12) of my gamepad :mrgreen: Every X games I played inherit an x-y correction on one or two sticks once switched to linux (steam or not) with a basic jstest-gtk in example
It's generic code which should work under OSX and Linux... Someone in the OSX forum reported he is having problems, so it would be great to get some feedback for Joystick / Gamepad on Linux.

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Sat, 14. Nov 15, 23:40

rboerdijk wrote:Someone in the OSX forum reported he is having problems, so it would be great to get some feedback for Joystick / Gamepad on Linux.
I'll take a look...[edit]done
So far my game-pad is driven. Both analog sticks can be used via an external assignment.
But buttons after the fourth are crossed somewhere.
A few examples:
5->7
6->11
12->Hatup
7->8
I'll try a find another tool(s) that can manage it differently...[edit]and the assign-file when I'll find it...

By the way I wonder what is the "joystick mode(off, all, ctrl only)" in the set-up menu or if it is working?
---
Other topic:
I saw this message in the console recently.
======================================
HeapTracker full - Please increase AK_MEMORY_HEAPTRACKINGSIZE to track all allocation and tune your pools to avoid hitting the heap.
======================================

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Mon, 16. Nov 15, 10:45

Yes, we are using SDL2 and it's reporting the buttons different as the numbers printed on/near the joystick buttons themselves ( windows actually does get the buttons mapped correctly, I guess they have some internal database for that ).

You can try loading the "default - joystick(osx/linux)"-profile ( which should be somewhat decent), or alternatively you can map them yourselves in the game.

The game also supports the "gamecontrollerdb.txt" from SDL2; the file is loaded if it's found. You can get it from github and then put it in the "xrebirth documents folder" ( same location as the inputmap.xml and config.xml). You'll have to check if it contains your joystick, or you can add it. I haven't tried this, so if you try, keep us updated :)

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Mon, 16. Nov 15, 12:18

I'm not familiar with github, I couldn't find more information about it. A mere search of SDL2 obviously returns me 1346 results :) with such a name I'm going confused, if its not libSdl related :)

In the mean time I searched for command lines for Jstest-gtk.
That leads to a composition of a script which shall be more complicated if we integer ffset (force feed-back)

I'll make mine soon and probably post the procedure followed.
Based on this (french and probably old)
with that support

A first feed-back on game-play:
I couldn't experiment my 3 axis(turn,roll, strafe and fire in the same time 8) ) manoeuvre yet, but the "feel" seems there :)
Worst point goes to fps... Add little joystick miss-calibration and the skunk becomes fully uncontrollable if too low...
Not for now that I could strike my beetle alone :mrgreen:

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Mon, 16. Nov 15, 13:16

OK and what about memory leaks? Could someone tell me what is status of this issue?

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Mon, 16. Nov 15, 16:00

Just google "github gamecontrollerdb" and you end up here:
https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameCont ... llerdb.txt

However I think tries and map a joystick, so it behaves like a gamepad, so not entirely what I though it'd do. Anyway, you can just remap it from ingame.

algoc

Post by algoc » Mon, 16. Nov 15, 19:49

rboerdijk wrote:Did anyone have a chance to test joystick/controller support? If so, any issues? How was the default mapping - did you need to change any axis/buttons?
With some small changes I got my joystick configured fine for my use. The only problem is that I'm not able to remap "hat" in-game. The game doesn't seem to recognize hat movement.

SteamOS + T16000M

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Mon, 16. Nov 15, 20:11

rmazurek wrote:OK and what about memory leaks? Could someone tell me what is status of this issue?
Undefined.
My point of view from last page...
Gligli wrote:(...)
Finally, I personally suspect the game not running well below 12GB ram. Sadly, I actually couldn't make the test to verify that it's merely a memory issue.
...could be 16GB.

Maybe, give us more details about your pc...
rboerdijk wrote:However I think tries and map a joystick, so it behaves like a game-pad, so not entirely what I though it'd do. Anyway, you can just remap it from in-game.
Sure, "joystick" is only the shape of the piece of plastic that holds controllers :D
Sorry, I'll try to save a valid configuration before setting'em IG...
My major problem is hard to explain, as my game-pad can switch from digital to analogue... Once in analogue mode the game sees wrongly the Hat as buttons... Mandatory for strafe in that position. But I shall dig a bit more...

[edit]ninja'ed + typo

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Mon, 16. Nov 15, 20:55

This is my laptop: http://www.pcworld.com/product/1263649/ ... ebook.html

With 8 GB RAM

As far as I know, the issue is there is memory leak. Performence drops with time, not the same slideshow from the beginning.

More memory not helped (increased from 4GB to 8GB and no change) so I think that is about video memory not about RAM. (Despite of that RAM is shared with graphics, I think there is static RAM assigned for graphics).

There was the whole discussion about this issue. Mahi Ma has similar hardware and the same issues.

UPDATE

Actually I think you're right. After I switched from KDE to Fluxbox, this is much, much better. Unless it is KDE specific issue, it must be RAM shortage.

Thanks a lot for advice :)

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”