Give it another try

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 17:24

Alan Phipps wrote:Wait, is there more than one Taranis in the zone? If so you could be hitting the wrong one in terms of eventual boarding. I found it best to wait until later when the obvious target ship is hacked and then Yisha tells you what needs to be destroyed.

You know the more I hear, the more I suspect that this mission may have changed since I did it in 3.51.
No. This is the correct target. There was a "the defense has been disabled" when I approached for the first time.

cu
Rainer

lostboron

Post by lostboron » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 18:09

Alan Phipps wrote:IIRC, the pre-hacked Taranis target is neutral to the friendly forces supporting you, so they won't attack it.

You don't need to destroy every surface element on the Taranis either as they have been hacked and so play no part in the defence against boarding, nor do they add (much) to the target's boarding defence score. You can take the target fairly intact (apart from the engines, jumpdrive and hull?) with quite a weak squad of green marines as long as you do what boarding assists Yisha demands.

Caveat: The above is all from a few versions ago - probably 3.51.
Right, I did not realize the OP was talking about the campaign. That Taranis should be much easier to board than a regular one. But then, as often in the campaign, allies might be there to help, or not - for some reason...

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 18:33

RainerPrem wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:Wait, is there more than one Taranis in the zone? If so you could be hitting the wrong one in terms of eventual boarding. I found it best to wait until later when the obvious target ship is hacked and then Yisha tells you what needs to be destroyed.

You know the more I hear, the more I suspect that this mission may have changed since I did it in 3.51.
No. This is the correct target. There was a "the defense has been disabled" when I approached for the first time.

cu
Rainer
Well, finally I managed to do it. Dragging the drones away from the Taranis, then racing in to find a safe place in the bowels of the ship to destroy the engines. I got 50 recruit marines and one 5-star officer and do I didn't have to destroy any more targets. No casualties. and then suddenly all enemies disappeared and several HoA ships appeared.

Now I wait until my price is repaired and refueled.

cu
Rainer

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 18:48

Alan's tips are up to date - there have been no significant changes in the last few revisions. I am in fact doing a re-play myself (to test using a warehouse as my Albion-side economic support), and have recently taken that Taranis. To sum up:

- Bring along a decent captain, a (preferably 5-star) engineer, and a decent defense officer to occupy the ship once you succeed.
- Upon arriving at the battle site, just be patient, hang back a little (I like to hover around the Arawn), and allow the Hearty forces to dispose of those pesky Suls. (Feel free to take pot-shots for fun if you like, but it's not strictly necessary except for recreational purposes :P )
- Once the coast is clear, move in and take out the Taranis's jumpdrive and engines. If you forget to and move straight into the boarding phase, Annoyisha will direct you to dispose of those in any case.
- The Taranis is severely nerfed, so it's not necessary to take the steps normally required for boarding (in this sense, this objective completely fails in its "tutorial" role), so the weapons can be left alone.
- During boarding, Annoyisha will direct you to destroy various surface elements as she would in a normal boarding op - it's advisable to do so (if even only to greatly reduce the time to complete the takeover - I'm not sure whether failing these mini-objectives will cost you marines.)
- The only hiccup at this stage is that the targets are picked randomly, and if a capital shield generator is picked (and the Taranis has THREE of them, so the odds are not insignificant), then you will have to wear down the shields before the objective time-up - you're most unlikely to be able to do so, so either wear down the main shield in advance, or save the game just before boarding and reload to get more favourable diversion targets.
- When the ship turns green - well, I'm sure you know what to do then.

Please note: The captured ship has no jump fuel, so you'd be advised to allow it to be fully repaired in the safe spot where it gets taken to before attempting to move it anywhere; alternatively, you can task another capital ship under your control and with at least one CLURV to transfer some fuel across (I'd suggest doing this remotely, as your immediate presence *may* cause the transfer to get stuck, though this is usually also fixable by leaving the vicinity.)

Final step: enjoy your new ship, but be advised that PMC forces and stations will shoot at it (and any other military craft of yours) on sight, so either pick a quiet time to sneak it through to DeVries (again, best done in absentia, or keep it around Exhaustless Mines if you have built or plan to build anything there.

Happy hunting! :)

EDIT: Ah, never mind - I see you came right with this already!
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 20:38

So maybe the only real difference between your experience and what (I think) I recall happening for me is that my HoA support forces turned up to the battle before the boarding attempt. Odd.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 20:48

RAVEN.myst wrote: EDIT: Ah, never mind - I see you came right with this already!
Hi,

your advice is always appreciated anyway :-)

Is it correct that the Taranis doesn't have any storage for trading? Can I change that?

cu
Rainer

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 20:57

It cannot carry, transfer or trade 'wares' other than jumpfuel, drones and missiles/ammo in vanilla, if that is what you mean. Even then, it usually sources and treats those somewhat differently to tradewares. Any changes to that situation would have to be through modding.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 21:01

Alan Phipps wrote:It cannot carry or trade 'wares' other than jumpfuel, drones and ammo in vanilla, if that is what you mean. Even then, it treats those rather differently to tradewares. Any changes to that situation would have to be through modding.
Hi,

I suspected that. Am I correct that drones and ammo are bought by the defense officer? Can I dock the Skunk and then order the captain to jump to a gate or beacon?

cu
Rainer

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 21:12

Magic ammo (missiles, fight drones) is brought to the ship by means unspecified if you set them as auto-replenish (in the DO menu I think), mainly because the Taranis has no cargolifters to go and fetch stuff from stations.

Otherwise you physically refuel the jumpdrive by docking at the relevant Cell Recharge stations or by ship to ship transfer from a ship with cargolifters (this last bit can be used for fight drones and CURVs too). There is an auto-refuel option in the Captain menu. You can also order and pay for drones directly from Shipyard XL docks but the Taranis will then need to dock there to equip them.

Yes you can use the Taranis to give the Skunk a lift. Indeed that should have happened in that plot as you were invited to dock with it before the Taranis jumped away after the battle.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 21:23

Alan Phipps wrote: Yes you can use the Taranis to give the Skunk a lift. Indeed that should have happened in that plot as you were invited to dock with it before the Taranis jumped away after the battle.
Hi,

the mission told me to "dock at HoA ship" (which I interpreted as "any HoA ship") and the construction ship was closer, so I docked there...

Thanks for the information.

BTW: Will I get the Rahanas back at any point in the campaign or do I need to buy/board another one?

cu
Rainer

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 21:58

RainerPrem wrote:Am I correct that drones and ammo are bought by the defense officer?
As of 4.10, there is a slight change: capital ships with ammo now show it at the bottom of their info view. With the Taranis, you will notice it lists AstroBees, with a capacity of 40. You can replenish that at shipyards, using the Modify Ship dialog with the NPC (which previously didn't seem to accomplish much, as far as I could tell - well, the ammo option, at any rate.) 40 Astrobees for the Taranis will set you back around a half million, and I am happy to say that, so far, I've seen the Taranis only fire those in really busy furballs, which is a good thing, as I've found no way to order the DO to use or not use them - so you really don't want it to squander them at scattered or isolated fighters that would be a walkover for the Taranis or the Skank.

I haven't as yet checked out the behaviour of other ammo-using ships such as the Arawn (Astrobees and/or VCrushers, if I recall correctly) and the Sucellus (VCrushers, methinks.)
Last edited by RAVEN.myst on Mon, 4. Sep 17, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 21:59

RainerPrem wrote:Will I get the Rahanas back at any point in the campaign or do I need to buy/board another one?
Spoiler
Show
Yes, you will get it back soon after the Taranis capture, so you may well have it back by the time you read this.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 00:55

Alan Phipps wrote:So maybe the only real difference between your experience and what (I think) I recall happening for me is that my HoA support forces turned up to the battle before the boarding attempt. Odd.
I think your memory is fine.

The mission begins with the Skunk being asked to dock on a HoA CV, which jumps into the battle before the player undocks to attack the Skunk. A bunch of HoA capital ships should arrive with the CV.

If the HoA CV was the only friendly capital on the field at the start of the fight, it sounds like a misunderstanding, bug and/or mod issue.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 05:54

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:So maybe the only real difference between your experience and what (I think) I recall happening for me is that my HoA support forces turned up to the battle before the boarding attempt. Odd.
I think your memory is fine.

The mission begins with the Skunk being asked to dock on a HoA CV, which jumps into the battle before the player undocks to attack the Skunk. A bunch of HoA capital ships should arrive with the CV.

If the HoA CV was the only friendly capital on the field at the start of the fight, it sounds like a misunderstanding, bug and/or mod issue.
Hi,

there was an Arawn Close to the CV, when I started the mission, but it didn't jump with us to the Taranis. When the boarding was over and we jumped back, the ship was still there.

Nevertheless the mission worked.

One question concerning the Taranis: Is it better to sell it and buy a "real" freighter instead or does this ship have any advantages apart from being an oversized taxi?

@RAVEN.myst: It was late yesterday evening, and I also stumbled over some lockboxes to loot, so I didn't continue with the campaign for now. These big yellow circles are somehow addictive...

cu
Rainer

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 07:58

RainerPrem wrote: One question concerning the Taranis: Is it better to sell it and buy a "real" freighter instead or does this ship have any advantages apart from being an oversized taxi?
The Taranis is a very capable combat ship, a light/medium destroyer. It has good speed vs firepower ratio, and packs a few plasma "beam" turrets that are versatile and effective against all target types, and is quite tough to boot. I know some people advocate selling it in order to finance economic bootstrapping, and this is a totally valid option. I personally prefer to keep it - as a "trophy" of sorts (though a very easily obtained one, heheh), and for its combat functionality, especially since I have other mechanisms for early finance, if desired. Basically, it's up to you. If you do take it to DeVries with you, it can be invaluable for helping to deal with those large Reiver raiding parties (if you are playing on Very Hard difficulty, those can be a significant PitA!)

Just a quick note on freighters (probably inspired by your use of "a 'real' freighter", heheheh) - don't underestimate the value of M-sized freighters, especially in developed systems (such as Albion.) In DeVries, however, I would advise caution using those until the pirate raiding parties have been curbed...
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 08:26

RAVEN.myst wrote:
RainerPrem wrote: One question concerning the Taranis: Is it better to sell it and buy a "real" freighter instead or does this ship have any advantages apart from being an oversized taxi?
The Taranis is a very capable combat ship, a light/medium destroyer.

Basically, it's up to you. If you do take it to DeVries with you, it can be invaluable for helping to deal with those large Reiver raiding parties (if you are playing on Very Hard difficulty, those can be a significant PitA!)

Hi,

just to give you some context: I'm playing this game basically for the first time (started once and stopped before the Taranis boarding). So "Very Hard" is very far in my future.

I however played thousands oh hours X2 and X3 up to AP. So if the Taranis is a fighter and not a freighter, how can I outfit it with weapons? Meeting a ship outfitter on one of the shipyards?

And for the commands: Should I have it follow me wherever I go in case I meet some Reivers?

cu
Rainer

Edit: Fixed quote - Sparks

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 11:01

RainerPrem wrote:So if the Taranis is a fighter and not a freighter, how can I outfit it with weapons? Meeting a ship outfitter on one of the shipyards?

And for the commands: Should I have it follow me wherever I go in case I meet some Reivers?
When you capture that ship, it comes fully armed. If any of those armaments were destroyed during the fight/boarding op, the assigned engineer will eventually repair them all. (To answer your question in a more general sense: when buying a ship at a shipyard, you can order the weapons then and there, and there's really little reason not to, as unfortunately unlike in previous Xs, you can't pick and choose the weapons - each ship has a standard configuration, so your options boil down to "have this gun or don't have it" - obviously, the answer is basically always "have it". If, for whatever reason, a ship you have doesn't have a full complement of surface elements, then you can use the Modify Ship => Upgrade option at the ship dealer to rectify the situation.)

If you decide to take the Taranis with you to Albion, then you may want to add it to your squad. It will then by default follow you around. My own preference, when I have any nimble capital ships with me, is to actually stay docked on my favourite and order the captain to go wherever I need to, thus getting chauffeured around. :D I then undock if/when I need to visit a station, or get my own hands dirty with something. IMPORTANT: Be careful with your military ships when in Albion, which is now semi-hostile territory to you. Because PMC will now shoot your military ships on sight, it's not a good idea to travel around in/with such (well, other than your Skunk itself) - when moving around Albion, if you want to ride in style, use a capital freighter, such as your Rahanas, for example (later on, a Lepton is a nice alternative - good cargo types, very quick and nimble, and easier to dock with than a Rahanas.)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 11:56

RAVEN.myst wrote:
RainerPrem wrote:So if the Taranis is a fighter and not a freighter, how can I outfit it with weapons? Meeting a ship outfitter on one of the shipyards?

When you capture that ship, it comes fully armed. If any of those armaments were destroyed during the fight/boarding op, the assigned engineer will eventually repair them all. (To answer your question in a more general sense: when buying a ship at a shipyard, you can order the weapons then and there, and there's really little reason not to, as unfortunately unlike in previous Xs, you can't pick and choose the weapons - each ship has a standard configuration, so your options boil down to "have this gun or don't have it" - obviously, the answer is basically always "have it". If, for whatever reason, a ship you have doesn't have a full complement of surface elements, then you can use the Modify Ship => Upgrade option at the ship dealer to rectify the situation.)

If you decide to take the Taranis with you to Albion, then you may want to add it to your squad. It will then by default follow you around. My own preference, when I have any nimble capital ships with me, is to actually stay docked on my favourite and order the captain to go wherever I need to, thus getting chauffeured around. :D I then undock if/when I need to visit a station, or get my own hands dirty with something. IMPORTANT: Be careful with your military ships when in Albion, which is now semi-hostile territory to you. Because PMC will now shoot your military ships on sight, it's not a good idea to travel around in/with such (well, other than your Skunk itself) - when moving around Albion, if you want to ride in style, use a capital freighter, such as your Rahanas, for example (later on, a Lepton is a nice alternative - good cargo types, very quick and nimble, and easier to dock with than a Rahanas.)
Thank you very much. I see I'll still have to learn a lot about that game...

cu
Rainer

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 06:00

Okay, next question:

When I docked at the CV to board the Taranis there was a yellow light and the ship suddenly was in the next zone. The same when I docked after the successful boarding.

But then I docked at the Taranis and told the Captain "Bring me to deVries". The ship - although filled to the brink with jumpcells - did not jump. It was moving, since there were messages "reaching (zone name)".

So I undocked, flew to deVries by myself and ordered the Taranis to follow. She constantly flew into the PMC fleet near the gate, was severely damaged, and didn't manage to follow me.

Is that normal? The CV I ordered to follow me to deVries hasn't yet arrived but seems to make substantial progress. Can anybody enlighten me?

cu
Rainer

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 12:24

During the boarding mission you will have destroyed the jumpdrive on the Taranis. In order for it to be repaired, an Engineer will need to be put to work on the Taranis and sufficient time for repairs will have to pass. This probably hasn't completed.

You can check if the jumpdrive is damaged or not on the ship's Detail Menu, and you can see what the Engineer is currently repairing in their Detail Menu.

Jumpdrives on capital ships only work between Sectors. If a ship is in the same sector as a Gate, it will Lways fly to the gate.

If you have a Defense Officer on the Taranis set to attack (see their Detail Menu), it will pick fights with any red object it passes. This is dangerous if you don't want that to happen under normal circumstances, and although not relevent in this case, it is often fatal near the gate to DV if a ship jumps to that Sector (due to proximity of a station to the jump beacon).

A Defense Officer can be set to Defend in order to potentially trigger less return fire.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”