Targeting woes

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Targeting woes

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 04:38

I am using a joystick and throttle control setup. I want to be able to target a ship in front of me, and have that target stay locked despite me moving around and having my HUD sweep across and auto-target some new thing. I don't want it to auto target, I want it to maintain a lock on whatever I had targeted. How do I do this? This auto targeting sucks!

And how come in the general controls, there are two options which are both labelled "target object", one in the "menu navigation" category and one in the "misc" category. What is the difference between these two?

I swear, I have spent the last two hours just trying to figure out how I want to map my joystick and throttle, and this issue is driving me nuts!

EDIT:
Solved my problem, I took it out of gamepad mode. Still can't tell what the "Target Object" in the Menu Navigation category does, apparently only the one under Misc does what I want it to do...

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 10:08

Targeting with a joystick/throttle has never worked well, one of the more frustrating parts of Rebirth, works fine if you swap to mouse quickly to target but otherwise "annoying". The ability to lock onto any target but the one you want can also be frustrating ... Doubt it will be fixed now .. Once you accept the limitations and are always prepared tactically for that eventuality it becomes more acceptable.....

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Mon, 6. Nov 17, 05:21

After a long break from this game (Waited for Egosoft to fix the problems the game had for the first couple years) I have come back to play the game I paid for and enjoy it.... well.. I just can't.

I find it very frustrating that I am UNABLE to LOCK a Target and have that target stay LOCKED until its either destroyed of I CHOOSE to change targets.

I don't play with a mouse except when on stations or using menu's. I use a Joystick / hota's to fly the ship and I keep getting wasted in dogfights because my damn target keeps changing or unlocking on me.

After all these years that this game has been out I would have expected that to be ONE of the FIRST things they would fix.

I have no problem selecting and locking on to a target in X3R-X3TC-X3AP, why hasn't this been implemented into this game or patched into.

Come on Egosoft, Fix this MAJOR FLAW.
COMPUTER SPECS
[Mobo] SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
[CPU] AMD FX-9370 8 Cores 4.4 - 4.7GHZ 16MB DDR3-1866
[Cooling] Corsair Hydro Series H80I CPU Cooler System
[Video] Evga 970 GTX SC 3.5Gb Ram ==> [Ram] G-Skills Ripjaws X 16GB
[Harddrive] (2) x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
[Harddrive] Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD ==> [Harddrive] WD BLACK 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
[Disc Player] LG 14X BLU-RAY BURNER ==> [Case] Thermaltake A71 Chaser [Windows 7 Pro]

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 6. Nov 17, 15:17

@ Lazerath: See this dev reply to your nearly duplicate post in the X4 forum.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Tue, 7. Nov 17, 03:20

Alan Phipps wrote:@ Lazerath: See this dev reply to your nearly duplicate post in the X4 forum.
Thanks for the heads up Alan. I just finished reading and replying to the post. Great news was shared with me there.

It looks like they've added a Target Lock Joystick Button bind in the new Beta out for Rebirth! Yay, so good news for us reading this thread. I am about to download it and test it out.

Also with this fix now in X-Rebirth and X-Rebirth VR it is obviously ending up in X4!

Cheers and have fun "X'n the night away!"
COMPUTER SPECS
[Mobo] SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
[CPU] AMD FX-9370 8 Cores 4.4 - 4.7GHZ 16MB DDR3-1866
[Cooling] Corsair Hydro Series H80I CPU Cooler System
[Video] Evga 970 GTX SC 3.5Gb Ram ==> [Ram] G-Skills Ripjaws X 16GB
[Harddrive] (2) x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
[Harddrive] Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD ==> [Harddrive] WD BLACK 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
[Disc Player] LG 14X BLU-RAY BURNER ==> [Case] Thermaltake A71 Chaser [Windows 7 Pro]

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”