General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

NEWS: X Rebirth Virtual Reality Edition - Early Access launch, XCon 2017 and X4

Post by Bernd » Thu, 27. Jul 17, 19:47

Today Egosoft is pleased to announce the early access release of its first Virtual Reality game: the X Rebirth VR Edition.

The X Rebirth VR Edition is a new standalone game based on X Rebirth: Home of Light, completely redesigned and optimised for a Virtual Reality experience. Utilizing the latest advancement in VR technology with the Oculus Rift and Touch as well as the HTC Vive, the XR VR edition lets you experience space like you never did before.

View the exclusive XR VR Edition trailer here.

Features include:
  • A fully simulated economy in a huge universe – While based on X Rebirth: Home of Light, the universe and economy of X Rebirth VR Edition are specially designed for a Virtual reality experience. This is also the reason why the games are not savegame compatible.
  • A new graphics engine – The X Rebirth VR Edition will be the first title by Egosoft to utilise our new in-house developed engine, based on the innovative new Vulkan technology.
  • Take on a large variety of missions – Play as a freelancer, a pirate, a trader or search for your own adventures. Missions revolving around all aspects of the game will help you to find your way.
  • Pace and Balancing – All aspects of the game had to be rebalanced to create the best experience for the VR environment.
  • Switch between 3D and 2D mode on the fly – The user interface of XR VR Edition was specially designed to work entirely in an immersive first person VR cockpit experience and makes full use of Oculus Touch and Vive Controllers. However, if you feel like it, you can switch to your monitor and favourite input devices at any time.
  • Endless possibilites – Build your own ships and create an armada to fight your enemies or dominate the market with your factories and trade ships. You decide how you want to play.
TRADE, FIGHT, BUILD, THINK in the X Universe – the biggest sandbox this side of the galaxy.

From now on the XR VR Edition Early Access version is available from the Oculus Store supporting Oculus Rift and Touch and from Steam supporting the HTC Vive for a reduced early access price of 39.99 € or 39.99 USD respectively.

Early Access

Being our first Early Access game we want to bring the XR VR Edition to VR enthusiasts as soon as possible and get your opinion about our vision of a space game in VR. To help you getting started, we created the XR VR Edition - Early Access FAQ which provides answers to the most common questions.

Questions, feedback and discussions can be posted in the new X Rebirth VR Edition - Early Access forum.

XCon 2017 featuring XR VR and X4

To celebrate the release of the X Rebirth VR Edition and to revive an almost forgotten event, the XCon, we would like to invite you to the EGOSOFT HQ. You will get the chance to play the XR VR Edition and chat with the team about the history and future of the X-Universe. Additionally, you will be among the first to get an exclusive insight into our next project: X4.

If you would like to attend the XCon 2017, please let us know which date (26th/27th August 2017) would suit you best and apply for a seat on this webpage: https://www.egosoft.com/x4/signup.php
Registration ends August 13th 2017. After this date we will inform you if you got a seat and send all the necessary information to find us.
---
-Bernd Lehahn, bernd@egosoft.com

Henkka77

Post by Henkka77 » Fri, 28. Jul 17, 14:50

I already own X-Rebirth, whats the price for me? Egosoft mentioned that VR Edition will be with reduced price for us who own the original game, but $40 isnt anything NEAR what i would call "reduced".

Really not going to pay $40 for this...

EDIT: Nevermind, already saw Steam post from the dev who said that "loyalty discount" is on its way. :)
Last edited by Henkka77 on Fri, 28. Jul 17, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 28. Jul 17, 15:07

Hmm I think I might have gone to the event but I can't make it as I'll be broke. If it was in November I think I might have been able to go with a friend as he likes x games.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 28. Jul 17, 16:22

After watching the trailer:
1) Awful trailer music :(
2) VR inception (Ren put in his drone VR google, while player wear his VR googles) :)
3) the free look cokpit and station walk seems to work well with VR :)
4) The menu font and resolution (e.g. the info/attack/dialogue) seem very poor, almost like a game from 90s :(
5) For trailer about VR game, the VR scenes are about 20-30% of the trailer, the rest is more or less normal X-Rebirth footage :(

YaaaY for more X4 info on August 13th.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 28. Jul 17, 18:17

Yeah trailer doesn't show vr that's very good IMO. U just adapted existing rebirth interface instead of dedicated ui. If I had vr I wouldn't really see this as a cool vr experience from the trailer as its just the same as stock with vr stuck in quickly to cash in on vr trend. Sorry.
[ external image ]

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Fri, 28. Jul 17, 19:39

Showing too much VR 1st person scenes would not be good for a trailer. I will try to make some videos explaining the controls and gameplay in which you will see VR all the time.
---
-Bernd Lehahn, bernd@egosoft.com

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 28. Jul 17, 21:03

For a very small amount - the VR scenes in trailer were actually quite interesting. If the trailer would be more like 50-50 between VR footage and classic XR footage it would be much better advert for XR VR.

I mean the VR is the main feature, so you should put more faith into your product - your trailer is like a car commercial where they don't show much of a car.

Senner

Post by Senner » Fri, 28. Jul 17, 21:47

I like the sound of 'innovative new Vulkan technology'. It makes me wanna buy the game. Something out of Star Trek maybe. Just as long as nobody tells me what it is, cause that would probably spoil it for me.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 28. Jul 17, 22:06

Senner wrote:I like the sound of 'innovative new Vulkan technology'. It makes me wanna buy the game. Something out of Star Trek maybe. Just as long as nobody tells me what it is, cause that would probably spoil it for me.
nothing to spoil really...
Vulkan API in Wikipedia
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Senner

Post by Senner » Fri, 28. Jul 17, 22:10

A volcano! You're telling me they invented a volcano! NOW I'm excited.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 28. Jul 17, 22:22

My post probably came off a tad rude to the devs sorry about that, I just really dont get what the trailer is suppose to be making me want a vr machine and the vr version for over the non vr game is all.

Hmm about trailer, I don't think metalvenom did the trailer. As love his trailers usually. If u get a chance bernd send him a vr unit and get him to do one and I'd love a review off him too with it as think it would show it off well. Wink wink.
[ external image ]

THE_WESTi
x3ap

Post by THE_WESTi » Sat, 29. Jul 17, 02:35

I have a vive and I am really on the fence about buying this...

I still play x3 all the time (mainly litcube/mayhem now). I play because I love the management of the resources/income and the balance of managing the fleet and using this fleet to attack and defend for a reason.

I have only played Rebirth for about an hour and I didn't really enjoy it - this was about a year ago and it was just standard Rebirth.

Do you think I will enjoy this? Should I take the plunge?

I heard that you're stuck to one ship, you can't manage big fleets and that you can't really establish a huge empire. Are these correct? Are there reasons for why I SHOULD play it?

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sat, 29. Jul 17, 03:13

Try the X Rebirth 4.00 demo via Steam. If you're OK with that you'll be OK with X Rebirth 4.10 and in a good place to test X Rebirth VR.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sat, 29. Jul 17, 16:02

Interested to see how the Vulkan technology has changed things that could be a real bonus for all players at some point.

Good luck with the Early Access and XR VR, if I had an HMD I would definitely be checking it out.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 29. Jul 17, 18:38

Wonder about vulkan too. Least its up to date now as I think rebirth and previous games were stuck using dx9 as devs saw no benefit to update from it which IMO I think could have benefitted to better more realistic lighting and shading and shadows and reflections. I presume they will be turning normal rebirth into vulkan at some point and hopefully use it to update the visuals a touch maybe like the things I mentioned before.
[ external image ]

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sun, 30. Jul 17, 02:07

Skeeter wrote: I think rebirth and previous games were stuck using dx9 as devs saw no benefit to update from it [...] I presume they will be turning normal rebirth into vulkan at some point
IIRC the major problem WRT DX10+ was the MS licensing lockin (& subsequent costs etc); once focused upon OpenGL & other similar open techs this became less of a problem.

Lots of forum posts covered this back in the day.. However I may be talking thru my hat, if I had a hat :)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 30. Jul 17, 03:58

Using DX for game development and sale of said game is free AFAIK plus this seems to say it to tho not exactly official.

https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/quest ... ercial-use
[ external image ]

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sun, 30. Jul 17, 07:49

JKflipflop 's youtube gives a pretty good demo of Rebirth VR ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIA1kQuN5OI

Nearly good enough for me to part with 500 credits to play.... :)

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Mon, 31. Jul 17, 03:07

Will press outlets be able to attend XCon, or is it a "fans only, no pictures" type of event?
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

BurnIt!
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by BurnIt! » Mon, 31. Jul 17, 10:16

All are welcome at XCon.
BurnIt!
In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft. / In peace lies strength.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”