Fixing problems by simply going away in another sector

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Browser_ice
x4

Fixing problems by simply going away in another sector

Post by Browser_ice » Mon, 13. Feb 17, 23:56

Hi, I know it may sound silly for most of you but if you have a problem with the game, ask yourself this first question :

when the problem occurs, are you in visual range of it ?

meaning, do you actually see it happening or is the object affected by the problem within your visual range ?

Why ?

Because I noticed that some problems will resolve themselves simply by you going away in another sector and not visually seeing it.

example-1: you are trying to build a station addon but there is one stupid ship that keeps trying to go through your station. Usually it is a small ship. You try just about everything including going and pushing it out. You cannot ask it to join your fleet or leave it because it is an NPC ship. So what do you do ? Go away ! Going away in another sector will most of the times fix the issue. Why ? Explanation way below.

example-2: you have a ship that has trade trips assigned but it is not doing anything. Well question #1, is it near you like in visual range ? I noticed that this tends to happen to ships that are within your visual range. Try going away and see. If that does not work, try to ask it to join your feet, then leave then join then leave. Sometimes this fixes the issue. I admit I have not tried to just go away. So if you find this fixes the issue, then tell us. I suspect it will.

example-2: ever piggy backed or ducked on a ship that is trying to cross Bastion (you know where these giant stretched asteroids are). Try to cross two sectors that way within 10 min. Nearly impossible. Solution, go away yourself into another sector so you cannot even see that ship. It will then fly in a streight line as if nothing is in its path.

I am sure there are lots of other examples. If you do find others that get fixed by simply going away, just point it out here.

Now why is this even happening ?
Well I noticed that the game processes things differently wheather it is in your visual range or not. Best example is the Bastion crossing. When in visual range, the game has to take in account everything around. When not in visual range, well, it just take shortcuts. It stops taking a lot of stuff in considerations and just produces the results. So for a ship of yours crossing Bastion while you cannot visually see it happenning, it will just fly in a streight line without seeing what is around. The same applies to that small ship that is stuck in your building read zone. If you are away, the game will stop trying to make it go through your building (for whatever reason) and it will just keep travelling as usual and therefore move away from your red building zone.

Therefore, if you just stick around hoping the problem will fix itself, just go away and see if it will fix on its own.
Steam X-Superbox, XR, playing X4
WIndows-10
Intel I7-3770
16Gb Memory
Nvgidia GTX-1060

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 14. Feb 17, 19:42

Not really a tech support issue so I'll move it the main Rebirth forum.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 14. Feb 17, 20:15

As far as I know, collision detection is disabled for any objects out of zone. It can explain many of the oddities you can see in the game. It's also why going ooz solves so many problems.

Among other things, drone usage is also disabled when you're not in zone. Ever noticed your mining ships will never seem to find the nvidium asteroids when you're next to them, but have no problem mining when you're not looking? Or if you arrive in a zone where you're building a station, all your construction URV seem to just rush out of the CV, as if they just ended their coffee break? :wink:

There are plenty of other small differences. So yeah, changing area is a good way to solve many minor bugs and glitches.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 04:13

Ezarkal wrote:As far as I know, collision detection is disabled for any objects out of zone. It can explain many of the oddities you can see in the game. It's also why going ooz solves so many problems.
OOS as in Ouf Of Sight is the correct term, because when you change Zones but the other Object is still visible it has no effect. and in short the current Zone and all its direct neighbours are IS ( In Sight ). so if you want to have this effect you by boostint away you have to boost through at least one empty space, maybe even two..

PS maybe these terms should be changed to OOV / IV as in V for Visibility, to have clear distinction between this and S for Sector...
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 14:49

Very true. I stand corrected! :D
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”