The silence from the devs is making things worse

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Warnoise

The silence from the devs is making things worse

Post by Warnoise » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 10:44

I am astonished by the bad community management of Egosoft. They not only launched a game that tarnished not only the X series, but Egosoft image as well, they totally stay silent for like 5 months.

You guys dug your own graves but unfortunately it seems that you still want to dig deeper until you reach bankruptcy.

As a fan, i personally lost all faith and trust in Egosoft for they clearly don't give a damn about the community.

I, as many other fans, am pretty disappointed.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 11:28

Egosoft just released patches for X3TC and X3AP (small technical updates). Clearly not a sign of not caring. CBJ and Xenon_Slayer post regularly in the forum, and linolafett is often in the DevChat during work days, where you can chat with him. So being totally silent is not true either. Claims of Egosoft's business model failing, they wouldn't know what they are doing and so on have existed since at least the release of X3: Reunion in 2005 (probably earlier), and Egosoft is still not bankrupt. So I would take that prediction with a grain of salt too.

For all we know, Egosoft is currently working on a new game. (You probably read the news and saw the video about that too, so I'm not linking them again here.) As with every new game, the first development stage is rather uninteresting for future players as it's a lot about implementing technical stuff and you have very little working things or nice visuals to show off. (I guess, a few programmers may find a screenshot of some C++ code appealing or fascinating too, but that's probably just a minority. The majority of other players wouldn't count that as "news".) Additionally, the earlier you speak about not yet implemented (i.e. finished) features and your plans for it, the likelier it is that people make up stuff no one has actually said or confirmed. Nevertheless, the same people are then disappointed when these "facts" they made up do not make it into the game. Solution: Don't post information about something, when you cannot guarantee that this something will make it into the game.

The overall approach of staying silent for a longer time after the main development and update cycle for a game (X Rebirth) has stopped and then first start spreading the news about a new game, when there are actually news to tell, is the way Egosoft has worked since their very first game. Therefore I don't understand why people are moaning about this and claiming it wouldn't work that way. Moreover it is not only the way Egosoft works, but most of the bigger game studios as well.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 11:41

I couldn't have put it better myself. Thanks for saving me a lot of typing!

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 13:45

You earned a cookie from me, The Q ;)
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 14:09

I understand the whining perfectly. All the spacebabies are crying for the new toy spacedad has promised us.
Hope it won't get counter-productive

Patholos
x4

Re: The silence from the devs is making things worse

Post by Patholos » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 15:07

Warnoise wrote:I am astonished by the bad community management of Egosoft. They not only launched a game that tarnished not only the X series, but Egosoft image as well, they totally stay silent for like 5 months.

You guys dug your own graves but unfortunately it seems that you still want to dig deeper until you reach bankruptcy.

As a fan, i personally lost all faith and trust in Egosoft for they clearly don't give a damn about the community.

That's hardly fair to say.

* Egosoft have done an incredible job of patching XR since the 2013 launch. It was a complete wreck of galactic proportions, but they chipped away at it, took suggestions from the playerbase and improved on the game. It's an ok game now.
* Free DLC

Without speculating too much, information is on a lockdown until it is done to such an extent that there's hard facts that can be talked about.

X Rebirth had a pretty open information flow which led to the playerbase expecting a completely different game than Egosoft was delivering.

I'm not disappointed nor mad at Egosoft. The key to dealing with all this is patience. The next game is done when it is done. We will probably get information when everything is set in stone.
In the mean time go play other games, read a book, set fire on that book, learn a language, fall in love, get children etc etc. Bottom line is:

Keep calm and trust that Egosoft will deliver (eventually) :P
Sure glad I didn't purchase a new computer this release.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 17:43

Patholos wrote:We will probably get information when everything is set in stone.
Slightly earlier than that would be preferred.

Patholos wrote:X Rebirth had a pretty open information flow which led to the playerbase expecting a completely different game than Egosoft was delivering.
Speak for yourself please.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 19:26

What bother me more is total lack of any solid information about the new game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we only know two things:
1) The new game is under development
2) We will be able to pesonally fly more than one ship (not defined if we'll be able to fly all ships like in X3, or only narrow group of "more than one").

Anything else that we know so far?

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 19:53

Graaf wrote:
Patholos wrote:We will probably get information when everything is set in stone.
Slightly earlier than that would be preferred.
Entirely up to Egosoft, which is why I said probably when all is set in stone. Perhaps we get loads of info tomorrow, perhaps not.
Graaf wrote:
Patholos wrote:X Rebirth had a pretty open information flow which led to the playerbase expecting a completely different game than Egosoft was delivering.
Speak for yourself please.
Agree or not, the vast majority expected something other than what they got.
Sure glad I didn't purchase a new computer this release.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 20:09

mr.WHO wrote:What bother me more is total lack of any solid information about the new game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we only know two things:
1) The new game is under development
2) We will be able to pesonally fly more than one ship (not defined if we'll be able to fly all ships like in X3, or only narrow group of "more than one").

Anything else that we know so far?
Im still waiting for HoL patch..... They could at least say something about that :roll:

Edit: I also think new weapons modifications will be in game. It would be waste not to add it to the game.
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Thufar
x4

Post by Thufar » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 20:30

Warnoise wrote:I am astonished by the bad community management of Egosoft. They not only launched a game that tarnished not only the X series, but Egosoft image as well, they totally stay silent for like 5 months.

People are entitled to expectations, but expectations are not entitlements.

Regards,
Thu

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 21:59

Posted this in another thread for Gamescom but posting it here as is a summary of news regarding the next project.

X-Universe News from September 2015, check the "Future development plans" in the Newsletter.
http://www.egosoft.com/x/xnews/201509_1 ... l#article1

That Newsletter was coupled with this video for the Teladi Outpost, also announcing a future DLC (Home of Light).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4cqR50re3o

A hint of what direction Egosoft will be taking for the next game and confirmation of HoL can be found here:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 43#4549343

Further confirmation of a new game can be found in one of my favourite interviews of Bernd, as it touches on so many aspects of Egosoft, personal opinions and somewhat, a closure of X Rebirth not being a X4, the interview was done by Skipp and published in Nuttygamer.
http://www.nutty-gamer.com/en/interview-egosoft/

Another post hinting that something is being working on, and is not for X Rebirth, is this post by Timon37 regarding updates for the Linux version.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 54#4615154
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Thu, 7. Jul 16, 22:24

Every Egosoft fan has to go through the communication pain barrier, think of it as an existential passing to a higher plain of space sim experience :goner:

You talk about 5months, I've been on at Egosoft for 10yrs to sort out a tactical UI for fleet management you've a long way to go before complaining lol. Egosoft do care and want to do the right thing work with them not against them imho... Bernd asked for patience and support, give them patience and support and give them credit where credit is due.

In all honesty as a backer of ED and SC I still find the vision of X Universe more compelling and more complete as a space sim, and I've been quite harsh on XR at times, commentary at others because I believe it can be.

herocrafter
x4

Post by herocrafter » Fri, 8. Jul 16, 00:23

I do not see the op's point. The game was released in late 2013 and the latest update and expansion was in early 2016. All in all quite the support. Op has been a community member for about 4 months now or around the time of the last major update; and since we are in the Twitter age now four months is an eternity. Patience, young grasshopper.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Fri, 8. Jul 16, 00:29

Well... i just picked up X-R again, after giving up, both playing and modding since the game was in such a terrible state even months after launch.

And i gotta say i'm part frustrated and part suprised.
They did fix alot, but i'm filling the bugsection with really troublesome bugs since i gave it another go.
Things that should have been patched in the first updates. :/

It's nice that they're working on another game.
But i really think they should get X-R in a good state first otherwise they won't sell alot of games in the future. Which is really sad. I love the X-Series, but as hard as i god damn try to make X-R work for me, it's just not happening. (Even though i loved the idea itself. I'd love the game if those bugs were fixed and the ai/fleet options were improved) ._.

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Fri, 8. Jul 16, 00:35

Hey OP, long stretches of silence from the dev's is not unusual at all, and is certainly not indicative of them not caring about their community. Keep in mind these folks get jumped on for almost everything they say, so are probably just being tight lipped out of grim necessity.

For my part I'm just happy to know they are still in business and working on new projects; they are responsible for my favorite game of all time, and for that I'll extend them as much patience as they require:)
Ayn Rand was correct.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 8. Jul 16, 03:28

Egosoft is a game company. Game companies generally always have something in the pipeline, that is their business model, they need to be continually creating something new. That, or laying everyone off, because there is no point keeping all the programmers around if they are not working on something.

Since they still are around and employing programmers, I think it is fair to say they are working on something. When they feel like they have something worth showing, we'll know it.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 8. Jul 16, 19:31

In the world of game development, it's better for developers to say too little than too much.

Let the game do the talking.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Fri, 8. Jul 16, 23:36

quit...
feeding...
trolls...
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

vexter
x4

Post by vexter » Tue, 12. Jul 16, 01:30

They need to stop listening to people who dont like SETA and Jump drives. That group is very small and will not make your game profit.

I know they added them, but, I might quit again before I get to that point. They are WAY to complicated to get.

UNTIL YOU ACCEPT THIS FACT AND QUIT FORCING LONG BORING FLIGHT IN THE GAME you will fail.

Ive been forced to do so much flying around today I'm actually feeling violent. I want to punch something.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”