Joysticks with x rebirth

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Thu, 10. Mar 16, 09:41

johnthel wrote:Hi All,
Success. I bought the Full Version (4) plus Home of Light and copied Nosccars
files as detailed in this Forum. Sweet Joy.
Thank you for your detailed Help. :)
sweet, glad it worked for you, and now we know you can't bind your own profile in the demo.
[ external image ]
Asus Tuf A17 Ryzen 7 - 4800h, GTX 1660ti, 16mb ram, ssd drive. win 11.

Wavey
xr

Post by Wavey » Sat, 19. Mar 16, 19:15

@Nosscar where do i put the pr0 file ? put the others in where they should be .Stick sort of works but not as it should
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sun, 20. Mar 16, 01:11

Wavey wrote:@Nosscar where do i put the pr0 file ? put the others in where they should be .Stick sort of works but not as it should
that would be in your saitek software folder, where the profiles are kept, then load it into the stick.
[ external image ]

Wavey
xr

Post by Wavey » Sun, 20. Mar 16, 09:29

It wont recognise it ,does it need to be renamed .dat ?
Oh dear decided to reinstall drivers as they were out of date .
Uninstalled and deleted folder .New drivers start to install and asks to connect stick ,done. Then it never finishes installation

wow what a pain ,new drivers locked up pc ,found older ones on their ftp site which work and found where the SST puts my profiles ,under C:\Users\Public\Documents\SmartTechnology Profiles
Last edited by Wavey on Sun, 20. Mar 16, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/)

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sun, 20. Mar 16, 11:15

I wish the Target Object setting actually was able to target any object under the HUD reticule. I find myself using the gamepad option for joysticks where it auto selects but if you turn the gamepad option off there doesn't seem to be a way to select or target objects like station surface element for docking without using a mouse. If you use manual targeting it also seems to break the auto target HUD behaviour which makes life fun for docking.

Why can't I just fly close to a docking port with it in my sights and hit the hotkey/setting to dock I don't understand why it has to be anymore complicated than that?

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sun, 20. Mar 16, 12:34

Wavey wrote:It wont recognise it ,does it need to be renamed .dat ?
Uninstalled and deleted folder .New drivers start to install and asks to connect stick ,done. Then it never finishes installation

wow what a pain ,new drivers locked up pc ,found older ones on their ftp site which work and found where the SST puts my profiles ,under C:\Users\Public\Documents\SmartTechnology Profiles
which windows are you using, i use windows 10, with the latest beta drivers, i don't have any problems at all.

Yes that folder sounds right, mine's the same path as yours. Once in there it should show up on the list of profiles in the system tray.
There is not much in that profile though, just the macro's, all the other controls are just set in the game. So you need to blank out all the other binds, (except keyboard ones) and then load the saitek input game file in game.
Also check your input for the saitek is the correct one. ie: when i had my edheadtracker in, my joystick showed as y input2 for example, not y imput.
[ external image ]

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 20. Mar 16, 13:14

BigBANGtheory wrote:I wish the Target Object setting actually was able to target any object under the HUD reticule. I find myself using the gamepad option for joysticks where it auto selects but if you turn the gamepad option off there doesn't seem to be a way to select or target objects like station surface element for docking without using a mouse. If you use manual targeting it also seems to break the auto target HUD behaviour which makes life fun for docking.

Why can't I just fly close to a docking port with it in my sights and hit the hotkey/setting to dock I don't understand why it has to be anymore complicated than that?
Recommend finding a mechanic & installing Targeting System Extension mk2 if you want to be able to easily target subsystems such as docking ports, rather than having to rely on auto-targeting for this.

Wavey
xr

Post by Wavey » Sun, 20. Mar 16, 13:38

Nosscar wrote:
Wavey wrote:It wont recognise it ,does it need to be renamed .dat ?

which windows are you using, i use windows 10, with the latest beta drivers, i don't have any problems at all.

Yes that folder sounds right, mine's the same path as yours. Once in there it should show up on the list of profiles in the system tray.
There is not much in that profile though, just the macro's, all the other controls are just set in the game. So you need to blank out all the other binds, (except keyboard ones) and then load the saitek input game file in game.
Also check your input for the saitek is the correct one. ie: when i had my edheadtracker in, my joystick showed as y input2 for example, not y imput.

Got it all working now 6.2.2.0 drivers and latest SST .Thanks for your configs and help :)
(\__/)

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 10:22

GCU Grey Area wrote:
BigBANGtheory wrote:I wish the Target Object setting actually was able to target any object under the HUD reticule. I find myself using the gamepad option for joysticks where it auto selects but if you turn the gamepad option off there doesn't seem to be a way to select or target objects like station surface element for docking without using a mouse. If you use manual targeting it also seems to break the auto target HUD behaviour which makes life fun for docking.

Recommend finding a mechanic & installing Targeting System Extension mk2 if you want to be able to easily target subsystems such as docking ports, rather than having to rely on auto-targeting for this.
I tried that and it sort of worked then it didn't and then HUD menus started opening in strange places all over the screen. I think I found a bug related to cockpits/HUD/targeting.

What isn't helping is not knowing the expected result of all the controller settings, Targeting Extension Upgrades along with the behaviour of manual targeting combined with gamepad mode.

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 11:15

I got around the targeting issue by setting up my right hand flightstick to emulate mouse x/y inputs and mapping the trigger and thumb buttons to the mouse button inputs and space bar.
0101...0011...0011...0101...2!

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 13:04

Targeting with a HOTAS/Joystick is a nightmare ... Enemy Fighters, surface elements or whatever .... The definition of Very Hard for gameplay should be only use a joystick.
Targeting software Mk 2 is a joke.... Only a lmb and rmb on a mouse is effective .....I have to continually stop with the joystick switch to mouse and keyboard for surface elements ... and for anyone to say you just need targeting software mk2 then I suggest they fly up behind a fleeing ship and target individual engines ... target everything but the engine....whereas with a mouse lmb click "engine" rmb click destroyed plus no need to move ship, just park/slipstream safe and click away.....

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 13:37

birdtable wrote:Targeting with a HOTAS/Joystick is a nightmare ... Enemy Fighters, surface elements or whatever .... The definition of Very Hard for gameplay should be only use a joystick.
Targeting software Mk 2 is a joke.... Only a lmb and rmb on a mouse is effective .....I have to continually stop with the joystick switch to mouse and keyboard for surface elements ... and for anyone to say you just need targeting software mk2 then I suggest they fly up behind a fleeing ship and target individual engines ... target everything but the engine....whereas with a mouse lmb click "engine" rmb click destroyed plus no need to move ship, just park/slipstream safe and click away.....
I play XR primarily with a joystick (Saitek Cyborg 3D) & have absolutely no issues with targeting. Certainly never need to use the mouse for that, which I generally only use when walking around stations (FPS style gameplay with a joystick just feels weird). What sort of joystick are you using? Are you sure it's configured correctly? I'm experiencing none of the issues you write about with respect to targeting individual engines, etc.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 14:44

Once again ... No comment.

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 15:51

Thats why I love my T16000M's and Thrustmasters TARGET software. I can pretty much map any control or script any macro I want to the flightstick. If I want to get really creative and customize it to the max, I can script the whole profile in a C++ like environment which gives me total control of every detail.

Even with default settings in the TARGET software, my T16000M Thrustmaster Flightsticks give exceptional control when emulating the mouse(and so they should with a touted 16,000 DPI resolution).

While I was at it I also scripted in a weapons safety button that prevents my itchy trigger fingers from accidentally spamming guns and missiles at friendly stations.

I particularly enjoy using the left flightsticks twist axis as the throttle (with the left trigger as boost) which functions much like a motorbike (it reminds me of the Lensman Cycroader).
0101...0011...0011...0101...2!

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 23:37

There seems to be an issue relating to range when trying to target a station docking area, if you are really close it won't auto select (gamepad mode) or manual select target object. However if you are say 3-4km away it works :? Anyone else get this?

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 23. Mar 16, 00:47

BigBANGtheory wrote:There seems to be an issue relating to range when trying to target a station docking area, if you are really close it won't auto select (gamepad mode) or manual select target object. However if you are say 3-4km away it works :? Anyone else get this?
Only time I've experienced notable issues with range when selecting docking ports (either auto-target or manually), is if I've recently started a new game & haven't yet scanned the docking ports on newly discovered stations - easy to spot those though since unscanned docking port icons are blue rather than white (c.f. scanning info nodes on stations).

In those circumstances I find I do have to get quite close to them before they will register as a viable target. Can get a bit hairy at times since I generally prefer Supercharged engines (doesn't leave a lot of time to scan, target & dock when you're approaching a new station at 360m/s). Aside from that don't recall any other particular issues with targeting docking ports at the ranges you mention.

One thing that might help is if you Plot Course to a specific docking port (or an NPC who lives there), you can select it as a target from very long range (e.g. 50km+), as long as you're in the same zone & have previously scanned that dock.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Wed, 23. Mar 16, 01:42

Auto-scan range for (previously unscanned) docks (& prolly i-points) is 750m with the object within the target reticule

Once you've scanned/discovered them you can manually target them from any range they're visible (excluding blocking elements such as fog, station parts, passing ships etc); if you use guidance to get you to a particular NPC & have already scanned their dock, you can select that dock instantly no matter what's blocking your LoS (distance uses a slightly different calculation & may depend upon game GFX settings)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 23. Mar 16, 10:35

Snafu_X3 wrote:Auto-scan range for (previously unscanned) docks (& prolly i-points) is 750m with the object within the target reticule

Once you've scanned/discovered them you can manually target them from any range they're visible (excluding blocking elements such as fog, station parts, passing ships etc); if you use guidance to get you to a particular NPC & have already scanned their dock, you can select that dock instantly no matter what's blocking your LoS (distance uses a slightly different calculation & may depend upon game GFX settings)
I see something different in my new start.

If I say fly to a station dock area such that it is scanned and known to me it does indeed auto select or manual select at around 750m, then if I travel away for a few km I can turn around and manually select it at range... All is well there.

However if I am within again around 750m of that same dock with it not targeted or for some reason I have manually targeted something else I cannot seem to re-acquire that same dock port as a target either using auto-target (from gamepad mode) or manual target object hotkey it just refuses to recognise it. What I can do is fly away from the dock port to around 1km and then it works again :?

Is it just me or do you guys get that same behaviour with your jouysticks? Except Lander who has it seems reconfigured his setup to emulate the mouse cursor control which doesn't have this problem, though one assumes you experienced it which was a reason which drove you to that work around?

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 23. Mar 16, 11:12

BigBANGtheory wrote:Is it just me or do you guys get that same behaviour with your jouysticks?
Haven't experienced anything like that in my game.

Just did a quick test to confirm. Flew near a docking port & at a variety of ranges (approx 200m, 500m & 700m) manually targeted the port, then turned away to target a passing mass traffic vehicle, then back to the port again. Had no problems at all selecting the port as a manual target.

Tested both the buttons on the base of my joystick & the targeting keys I have assigned on keyboard (I use both so I've got convenient targeting controls whether my right hand's operating the throttle on the joystick, or strafe controls on the keyboard). No difference to targeting regardless of input device used.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 23. Mar 16, 12:55

I have no problem targeting with keyboard, no problems with mouse but as soon as I use allotted button for targeting it targets everything but what I am looking at ... Using X52 pro..... Not a deficiency or lack of skill or whatever you put it down to just an inability to target correctly .. As I previously mentioned to fly up behind a fleeing ship and target one engine, then it is impossible to target another engine ....regardless of what designated key is pressed I will target other subsystems on the ship, passing traders, enemies passing by in the tube system.....and if/when targeted unless you are in the correct location no damage will be done to selected highlighted engine......
Click with a mouse and click dead, click dead, click dead don't have to move just fan round and easy peasy..your defunct.
Not a lack of skilll
Not a lack of ability
A reality.

Would like to know what Snafu_X3 means by "may depend upon game GFX settings" .......???????

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”