[Feature Request] "Are you sure?" for all fire and move buttons!!!

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you require an "Are you sure?" Question

Yes it's pretty annoying to lose crew by accidental hiting the buttom, or having them onboard
15%
Yes but only for "You are fired"
52%
Don't Care
7%
No, It would just bock me from firing my Crew
26%

Total votes: 61

Taleth
x4

Post by Taleth » Mon, 28. Mar 16, 20:08

This is easily solved with an undo action.

Most times you press the 'fire npc' button you do so on purpose, 2nd guessing user actions always makes for a bad user experience "eg: are you sureeee you want to delete this file? and this one too?" etc.

Of course on the other hand losing a great npc because of a twitch movement (or tiny menu on 1440p monitor...) is also a bad user experience.

The answer is to have the npc fired when you fire them. On the off chance you want them back, there should be a time limited option to call them back.

For example: You ask Betty/Yisha for a roster of all people your currently hiring ("give me the list, please!".. no I'm jk, please, no more). In this list, people you've recently fired are still listed for a day or so thus allowing you the opportunity to call them and hire them back.

On another note, hello everyone, I'm new here, recently discovered this amazing gem of a game and can't wait to get into modding it.

---
edited for clarity

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 28. Mar 16, 20:23

Taleth wrote: On another note, hello everyone, I'm new here, recently discovered this amazing gem of a game and can't wait to get into modding it.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the game!

Easily overlooked but this thread was last replied to just over a year ago and bumping really old threads is kinda naughty. Don't let that discourage you from making new threads to ask questions etc, or to reply to other, newer thread :)

The Rebirth wiki, with various player and Egosoft info here:
https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... birth+Wiki

A Q&A thread listing some player info on page 1 is here:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=347917

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Mon, 28. Mar 16, 22:30

I hope the thread won't get closed as the Request is still pending.

@Are you sure for Quicksaves You should only be asked if the Save is old enough e.g. a new full Save was made since that point.

That rehire idea is pretty good.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 29. Mar 16, 11:11

The way I see it, the cost of such a "feature" (new incarnation of Microsoft animated paper-clip? "It looks like you are trying to fire a minion...") would outweigh the benefit:

The cost = additional mouse click on EVERY firing - I fire waaaaaay more than I keep, as I really chew through candidates (I'm sure many/most do)
The benefit = prevention of accidental and irreversible loss of good candidates - this will vary from person to person: to some this happens often, to some never, most probably somewhere in the middle ie. occasionally (I voted 'no', and then 10mins later accidentally fired a 5-star greasemonkey, lol!) For me, it's a VERY uncommon occasion, so the inconvenience would heavily outweigh the benefit.

The "undo" option seems ok, or some form of rehire. I think, ideally, a fired candidate shouldn't be sunk from the labour pool, but should be returned to it - after all, when a job-seeker is interviewed and not hired, they generally keep looking! One catch, though: I think that fired staff shouldn't go straight into the normal lists, but go into a separate waiting list (accessible, but separate) for a short time (maybe until player leaves that zone), to prevent having to dodge that name repeatedly while going through candidates. This may require a non-trivial programming tweak, however.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”