Egosoft's next big thing....

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Noimageavaiable
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed, 14. Apr 10, 20:35
x3ap

Post by Noimageavaiable » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 20:54

Alucard291 wrote:
Tenlar Scarflame wrote:See, that's the thing - I want a game with true depth and strategic options like X3, built on Rebirth's sexy sexy engine. That's not precisely X4, that's just Rebirth as it ought to be. Like Gandalf the White.
Sexy engine?

You mean fugly low tech and 6 years out of date engine right?

Those low res textures, those fugly and slow dx9 shaders (overload of them to hide the horrid textures) the low poly models (excusable in 2007 or so not in 2013). Need I go on? :)

No no no they need to make a NEW engine. Not reuse the one they had bouncing around for 7 years+. Because this one has NOTHING sexy to it.
They can just replace the graphics engine and leave the actual game engine alone. Its what they did for X3.

dubnium
Posts: 1035
Joined: Thu, 12. Feb 09, 10:54
x3tc

Post by dubnium » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:05

Noimageavaiable wrote:
Alucard291 wrote:
Tenlar Scarflame wrote:See, that's the thing - I want a game with true depth and strategic options like X3, built on Rebirth's sexy sexy engine. That's not precisely X4, that's just Rebirth as it ought to be. Like Gandalf the White.
Sexy engine?

You mean fugly low tech and 6 years out of date engine right?

Those low res textures, those fugly and slow dx9 shaders (overload of them to hide the horrid textures) the low poly models (excusable in 2007 or so not in 2013). Need I go on? :)

No no no they need to make a NEW engine. Not reuse the one they had bouncing around for 7 years+. Because this one has NOTHING sexy to it.
They can just replace the graphics engine and leave the actual game engine alone. Its what they did for X3.
you mean the actual engine that is so bad at multithreading that it works worse if you upgrade your cpu? yeah, that sounds lovely.

Noimageavaiable
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed, 14. Apr 10, 20:35
x3ap

Post by Noimageavaiable » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:07

dubnium wrote:you mean the actual engine that is so bad at multithreading that it works worse if you upgrade your cpu? yeah, that sounds lovely.
Like any new code it needs lots of bugfixing and optimization. A new engine won't be any better in that regard.

User avatar
Tenlar Scarflame
Posts: 3343
Joined: Mon, 30. May 05, 04:51
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:09

Yup, I wasn't talking about the graphics - they are pretty middle-of-the-road with the occasional obvious problem. I'm talking about the core simulator, which you can tack whatever the heck graphics you want on to. The exact same engine could have totally new and different graphics swapped out further down the road - like X3.

EDIT

Yeah... there are possibly a few problems with how they've done multithreading. :roll: That needs work.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

SunofVich
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 9. Oct 05, 03:26
x3

Post by SunofVich » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:15

I like the direction they went with X:Rebirth. I just want it to function correctly.

Raapys
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat, 11. Sep 04, 22:22

Post by Raapys » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:23

SunofVich wrote:I like the direction they went with X:Rebirth. I just want it to function correctly.
Which direction is that, exactly? Can you name anything Rebirth does better than AP? Can you name any additions that don't suck? Granted, part of the latter is subjective, but the execution's quality is fairly objective. And nothing that they executed in Rebirth is what I'd call 'high quality'.

And for the most part, the game *does* try to be an X game. It's simply an inferior one with some odd features tacked on which make no sense.

eXodL
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu, 3. Oct 13, 00:01

Post by eXodL » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:31

I hope I never see another game from EGOSOFT for the rest of my life. I just can't take it.

7 years, seven ****** years and a lot of promises. There is no excuse for something like this. I can't even describe how disappointed I am with myself for believing in this project. Nothing can redeem EGOSOFT at this point.

amtct
Posts: 1907
Joined: Thu, 13. Nov 08, 23:19
x3ap

Post by amtct » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:33

Egosoft's next big thing....
Bankruptcy I guess :gruebel:

User avatar
Kor'ah
Posts: 3285
Joined: Wed, 25. Apr 07, 15:29
x3tc

Post by Kor'ah » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:36

Long as they keep the Station/Ship building system Rebirth brought us they can make an X4.

That system has 10x more depth than anything the previous X games has.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

eXodL
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu, 3. Oct 13, 00:01

Post by eXodL » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:45

Kor'ah wrote:Long as they keep the Station/Ship building system Rebirth brought us they can make an X4.

That system has 10x more depth than anything the previous X games has.
Really? Constructed ships magically materializing out of thin air? Magically re-fueling ships at a station (they could've had a tube or something that gets attached to the ship when docked, and a lot of other details that you can see in 10 years older games). At least they simulated some drones when building stations, but even that is far from perfect.

Alucard291
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu, 9. Nov 06, 11:56
x3tc

Post by Alucard291 » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:49

Noimageavaiable wrote:
dubnium wrote:you mean the actual engine that is so bad at multithreading that it works worse if you upgrade your cpu? yeah, that sounds lovely.
Like any new code it needs lots of bugfixing and optimization. A new engine won't be any better in that regard.
Well that's moot. Very moot in fact.

Some engines are made better than others. But you'd think an inhouse engine made for 1 game over the course of 7 years wouldn't struggle with pc's well over the minimum spec :/

And yet we have X3 Ap. The game made for a single core cpu. In 2012.

And X:R which is made for heaven knows what...
Last edited by Alucard291 on Fri, 22. Nov 13, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Noimageavaiable
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed, 14. Apr 10, 20:35
x3ap

Post by Noimageavaiable » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:52

Alucard291 wrote:
Noimageavaiable wrote:
dubnium wrote:you mean the actual engine that is so bad at multithreading that it works worse if you upgrade your cpu? yeah, that sounds lovely.
Like any new code it needs lots of bugfixing and optimization. A new engine won't be any better in that regard.
Well that's moot. Very moot in fact.

Some engines are made better than others. But you'd think an inhouse engine made for 1 game over the course of 7 years wouldn't struggle with pc's well over the minimum spec :/

And yet we have X3 Ap. The game made for a single core cpu. In 2012.
And then you disprove your own point with an example. AP was build on an engine from 1999, it had 13 years of optimization behind it. Given enough time Rebirth's engine can also be polished to that point.

Hardcard
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon, 18. Nov 13, 10:02

Post by Hardcard » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 22:01

Alucard291 wrote:
Tenlar Scarflame wrote:See, that's the thing - I want a game with true depth and strategic options like X3, built on Rebirth's sexy sexy engine. That's not precisely X4, that's just Rebirth as it ought to be. Like Gandalf the White.
Sexy engine?

You mean fugly low tech and 6 years out of date engine right?

Those low res textures, those fugly and slow dx9 shaders (overload of them to hide the horrid textures) the low poly models (excusable in 2007 or so not in 2013). Need I go on? :)

No no no they need to make a NEW engine. Not reuse the one they had bouncing around for 7 years+. Because this one has NOTHING sexy to it.

I completely agree. X Rebirth's graphics are already outdated and the game was just released. To keep building upon it would be a mistake.

If you think I'm confused, wrong or stupid, just take a look at Space Citizen's engine, for example, and judge for yourselves.
Those kind of engines (high resolution textures and relatively high polygon count in models, plus DirectX 11 features) will be the standard of the future. It already is in various games like DCS World and some of its modules, Batman saga (specially Origins, which looks amazing), Rome II: TW (with a good rig, battlefields and units look great), Metro:Last Light, etc.

Many people would benefit from a raise in standards regarding graphics quality... X Rebirth's graphics are a blatant crime in interiors and just ok in exteriors. You should consider other games out there before saying X Rebirth's engine is sexy.

Alucard291
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu, 9. Nov 06, 11:56
x3tc

Post by Alucard291 » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 22:02

Noimageavaiable wrote:
Alucard291 wrote:
Noimageavaiable wrote:
dubnium wrote:you mean the actual engine that is so bad at multithreading that it works worse if you upgrade your cpu? yeah, that sounds lovely.
Like any new code it needs lots of bugfixing and optimization. A new engine won't be any better in that regard.
Well that's moot. Very moot in fact.

Some engines are made better than others. But you'd think an inhouse engine made for 1 game over the course of 7 years wouldn't struggle with pc's well over the minimum spec :/

And yet we have X3 Ap. The game made for a single core cpu. In 2012.
And then you disprove your own point with an example. AP was build on an engine from 1999, it had 13 years of optimization behind it. Given enough time Rebirth's engine can also be polished to that point.
Yup an engine from 1999 runs like utter shit on computers built to spec 14 years later. I see I have truly disproved my point.

My point is Egosoft can't code for shit. And they haven't done any optimisations to the said code over 13 years.

What's your point?

Alucard291
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu, 9. Nov 06, 11:56
x3tc

Post by Alucard291 » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 22:04

Hardcard wrote:
Alucard291 wrote:
Tenlar Scarflame wrote:See, that's the thing - I want a game with true depth and strategic options like X3, built on Rebirth's sexy sexy engine. That's not precisely X4, that's just Rebirth as it ought to be. Like Gandalf the White.
Sexy engine?

You mean fugly low tech and 6 years out of date engine right?

Those low res textures, those fugly and slow dx9 shaders (overload of them to hide the horrid textures) the low poly models (excusable in 2007 or so not in 2013). Need I go on? :)

No no no they need to make a NEW engine. Not reuse the one they had bouncing around for 7 years+. Because this one has NOTHING sexy to it.

I completely agree. X Rebirth's graphics are already outdated and the game was just released. To keep building upon it would be a mistake.

If you think I'm confused, wrong or stupid, just take a look at Space Citizen's engine, for example, and judge for yourselves.
Those kind of engines (high resolution textures and relatively high polygon count in models, plus DirectX 11 features) will be the standard of the future. It already is in various games like DCS World and some of its modules, Batman saga (specially Origins, which looks amazing), Rome II: TW (with a good rig, battlefields and units look great), Metro:Last Light, etc.

Many people would benefit from a raise in standards regarding graphics quality... X Rebirth's graphics are a blatant crime in interiors and just ok in exteriors. You should consider other games out there before saying X Rebirth's engine is sexy.
Biggest trouble is that it runs like crap and it looks like crap...

This is where the duck adage starts making all the sense in the world...

If it looks like a duck... and quacks like a duck...

Locked

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”