Veterans... is X Rebirth worth buying or not?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 01:40

By all means buy it and I hope you enjoy it. It's not a strategy game though like all previous X titles, resellers are removing that description. You haven't played an X game like this one is all they are trying to say.

It's an action game, with alot of ways to fill your time. That's it.

I have loved every single X game since XBTF passionately, this game would be tolerable if it was atleast a fun action game but I haven't found it so.
Take it easy, If you can't - Take it by force.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 01:46

I think it is a good game, great potential. Lots of issues right now without a question but in my opinion, every issue can be fixed and I do see it becoming a great strategy/trade game. Also, modding capabilities are quite promising. Expect to see a lot of good stuff for it in the future!

Shinkenshi
x3ap

Post by Shinkenshi » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 01:48

tbh it's pretty pointless to ask the veterans, because the game doesn't really have much of anything to do with the previous games. The features that do? Well to put it quite bluntly they are either missing or broke.

What really annoys me the most, more than anything else, is Egosoft just refuses to admit this game is unfinished. Bernd, I hope you are reading this, because it is EXTREMELY annoying to see you accusing players of "playing your game wrong" when your game doesn't function at all on some levels. Stop telling us we are doing the trade wrong. Stop telling us we are being bottlenecked. Stop telling us we are assigning the fleets wrong. Stop telling us we don't need a radar. Just admit this game is not released in a finished state and get back to finishing the game. Who knows, maybe people will learn to play your game better and complain less when it's... finished?
Last edited by Shinkenshi on Wed, 20. Nov 13, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 01:50

BlackRain wrote:I think it is a good game, great potential. Lots of issues right now without a question but in my opinion, every issue can be fixed and I do see it becoming a great strategy/trade game. Also, modding capabilities are quite promising. Expect to see a lot of good stuff for it in the future!
Sorry BR
Looked at modding back in all the station building, complexes and management stuff, it's not in the game at all. This is an action not a strategy game. Have to wait for XR2.

Nomadian

Re: Veterans... is X Rebirth worth buying or not?

Post by Nomadian » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 01:51

Jerald wrote: I'm a little more than a lurker, look up my threads. I'm not saying, I'm on everyday, but I'm on fairly enough to be more than a lurker.

And...I don't have to own the game, to know the company. You are strictly judging Egosoft by the game, and to be honest, unless you know the company, that's simply not fair.

I have no doubt, that Egosoft is working hard to fix these issues, and not only that, but to evolve this game into something even better.

Also you're free to check my stats, I own every single game since 2004, owning X-Rebirth will be no different. I'm looking forward to it.
I know the company well. I have played every one of the X games. This new thing they call a game is nothing like the older games. It's not even the same genre... so how can someone say that a person is going to like it without ever even playing it? This is a totally different style of game and just because someone likes the older games doesn't mean they are going to like this game...

If you took the time to read the forums you'd see that quite the opposite is true. Most of the veteran players HATE this new game. Your stats mean nothing in relation to this new game that you haven't played...

I have no doubt that Egosoft will fix the bugs like they've done with all of their games... But this game needs a lot more than bug fixes. The problems with this game aren't like the problems of the previous games. If you had played it you would understand. It's bad at the core.

You just sound like a fanboy. Supporting and recommending a game you've never even played... Sorry, but I call it like I see it. Take it however you want.
Last edited by Nomadian on Wed, 20. Nov 13, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

duncan idaho
x4

Post by duncan idaho » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 01:54

Old veteran here (XBTF era). I suggest you hold off for a couple of months as there are so many game-breaking bugs and incomplete features right now that its going to take them a while to get it to a usable state. The game itself is very promising however, so keep an eye on it!

Teladidrone
x3tc

Post by Teladidrone » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 01:54

In its current beta state: hell no.
And for sure not for the full price they are asking... maybe in 6 months after they patched it up real good. Real good.
Or when it goes at least 25% down on a sale.
Better delay it now and maybe the easter bunny might conclude you could then get the bang worth your bucks...
But for this years X-mas: try some other game.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 02:06

Lyth wrote:
BlackRain wrote:I think it is a good game, great potential. Lots of issues right now without a question but in my opinion, every issue can be fixed and I do see it becoming a great strategy/trade game. Also, modding capabilities are quite promising. Expect to see a lot of good stuff for it in the future!
Sorry BR
Looked at modding back in all the station building, complexes and management stuff, it's not in the game at all. This is an action not a strategy game. Have to wait for XR2.
What are you talking about? The stations are present, and they become huge complexes. That is already in the game. As for the management stuff, that is nothing. You have a manager and all you would need to do is add more commands for the manager. Buy/sell commands, money management commands, etc. No offense, but do you even know what you are talking about?

turokdarkstar
x3tc

Post by turokdarkstar » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 02:18

All the reasons for why you would play an X-series game are not present in X:R. Rebirth is basically a space shoot'em up that's fairly average in that regard. Plenty of other games that do it better. If you're a sucker for the pretty graphics and are willing to settle for mediocre combat -- wait for a sale. $50 is to much of an asking price for this type of game.

Captain Lemmiwinks
x3ap

Post by Captain Lemmiwinks » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 02:20

@ OP

a reasonable question before release...IF there had been a reasonable amount of info to check BEFORE buying.

but due to the fact that there was nothing to check due to embargo/blackout nobody could have answered.

however...after release,all you have to do is take a glance at the forums and google it,and the question didnt need 4 pages of bickering to answer.

as usual this thread as all others is now a series of totally stupid arguments.

but it does highlight the groups occupying the forum.

those who bought and are pissed
those who bought and are happy
those who didnt buy and are waiting fixing
those who are sickeningly sychophantic
those who are just here to wind others up

these are the threads need locking,as they cause nothing but trouble.

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 02:23

BlackRain wrote:
Lyth wrote:
Sorry BR
What are you talking about? The stations are present, and they become huge complexes. That is already in the game. As for the management stuff, that is nothing. You have a manager and all you would need to do is add more commands for the manager. Buy/sell commands, money management commands, etc. No offense, but do you even know what you are talking about?
I can't reply to that without insulting you, I want to mention jsut how wrong you have been to date but if you see it becoming a great trade/strategy game and have absolutely no idea what I am talking about or what a closed loop is then please just carry on.

zanetsu
x3tc

Post by zanetsu » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 02:40

I can't stop playing the game, and I know in time it will be improved and expanded upon. That said, I do/did agree with much of the criticism. Rebirth is it's own game, but once everything works right every time, it will to me most definitely be an X game.

Even with some features not fully realized I am so glad to have a playable version available. I'm a very picky gamer, it's great to have something modern to play.

<3

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 02:44

Lyth wrote:
BlackRain wrote:
Lyth wrote:
Sorry BR
I can't reply to that without insulting you, I want to mention jsut how wrong you have been to date but if you see it becoming a great trade/strategy game and have absolutely no idea what I am talking about or what a closed loop is then please just carry on.
How wrong I have been to date? Interesting since I have made maybe 3 or 4 comments outside of the get help thread. All of which were saying that I see a lot of potential in the game. By the way, I know what a closed loop is. Go ahead and insult me though, should be interesting. My comments about modding were made because I read posts from modders like Jack08 and Observe who said that the modding capabilities of X rebirth was much greater then X3 AP. So if you have a beef with that, then I guess you can feel free to go tell them they are wrong on the script forum.
Last edited by BlackRain on Wed, 20. Nov 13, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 02:46

Taunting too eh? lol

Wrong on atleast 2 of those posts that I saw, both were to me.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 02:49

Lyth wrote:Taunting too eh? lol

Right, you insulted me (even though you said you weren't going to). You were extremely condescending in your attitude and also in your comment about not knowing what a closed loop was. That is the first, the second, I honestly don't remember saying anything to you before, unless you were using an alias.

If you are talking about the one time in this thread I replied to you (and I wasn't insulting you). You said there were no stations and no complexes, maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but these statements are wrong. There are stations and those stations become complexes, don't see how that is not true.

malevolentwmd

Re: Veterans... is X Rebirth worth buying or not?

Post by malevolentwmd » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 03:24

Graxster wrote: For a fan of the previous games (and their associated game mechanics), is X Rebirth worth buying, or not? If yes, why? If no, why? Thanks!

-Grax
For me, it was worth the $50 bucks just to verify that it really did suck as bad as everyone says. I liked X3 AP so much that I was willing to spend the money to verify what people were saying.

So now I sit, in agreement, that everything fun from X3 AP you cant do anymore, and all the stuff you can do gets boring after just a few hours.

This makes me sad, really, not that I spent the $50 bucks, but that I was loyal enough to pay that to try and prove to myself that these folks were just complaining and the game really was good, only to find out they were right.

Captain Lemmiwinks
x3ap

Post by Captain Lemmiwinks » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 03:28

Lyth wrote:Taunting too eh? lol

you talked about the game

he talked about you

he`s trolling you

if you reply about him he`ll report you for trolling.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 03:40

Wow, actually, he was the first to talk about me, did you not even read the post? Do I need to quote it and break it down word for word? I also was talking about the game. Now you are also talking about me and not the game and now I am talking about you and not the game, yay. I don't report people for trolling by the way, never once reported a single person.

aedn
x3ap

Post by aedn » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 03:50

Its basically X series on rails, but lacks the charm of the other games. Even leaving out all the bugs, the core design concepts basically leaves space more or less empty, except around highways and established sectors.

Most of the trade issues can be solved, and bugs fixed, but how do you change the map , highway system and everything that screams console about X rebirth without a major investment and time.

Roenie
x3tc

Post by Roenie » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 04:00

Nomadian wrote:Not right now. Maybe in the future, and that's a big maybe.
As an X oldtimer, I - regretfully - fully agree with the above sentiment. I am not against change, but for Christmas you'd really be much better off requesting the X Superbox (it's on Steam). You are guaranteed to have a blast with that.

Maybe next christmas. Maybe.

As for why, I'm sorry, but to add that info I'd have to write a novel about all the things that I believe are bad about Rebirth as a game. It's so much it's simply impossible to put it all in a few words.
I claim this planet in the name of Ed, bringer of bacon.
Roenie's Guide to Open and Closed Loops (X2)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”