How Ship Capturing Works!

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mopy
x3

Re: How Ship Capturing Works!

Post by Mopy » Fri, 29. Nov 13, 04:28

Jar B wrote:Right you were! I didn't expect the engineer to be that fast! The Titurel is mine, now :)
Love this ship, by far my favourite. Grats on the cap :D

Can anyone confirm what happens if you completely strip and a ship before boarding? Does it assume a success at each stage giving you the attack bonus, or does it go through each stage at the base 80% attack as in the OP?
Sig

DogNine

Post by DogNine » Fri, 29. Nov 13, 04:57

I believe it does. I had stripped a heavy sul off all guns before I had a marine group (I figured it would be safer for me and my ships if it had no guns) and when I came back to board it the marine reports were five straight success with no instructions from Yisha. Meant I got less for it when I sold it though.

Has anyone figured out how to give the marine officer the scan information? Just as they launch she says "here is as good as anywhere without scan data". I tried scanning the ship with a drone first but I still get the same message.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Mon, 14. Jul 14, 05:19

Mavkiel wrote:Very useful. Do marines gain experience? Like if I buy 20 cheap marines, and use them in boarding actions, will they eventually become Vets?
Says in the Descriptions that they become Vets after a few missions; but it doesn't happen.
So it looks like a Bug.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

BDelacroix
x3tc

Post by BDelacroix » Thu, 17. Jul 14, 00:33

spankahontis wrote:
Mavkiel wrote:Very useful. Do marines gain experience? Like if I buy 20 cheap marines, and use them in boarding actions, will they eventually become Vets?
Says in the Descriptions that they become Vets after a few missions; but it doesn't happen.
So it looks like a Bug.
Truth. My justice league is still all the same ranks they were when I first started with them.

CanadianBrit
x4

Post by CanadianBrit » Thu, 17. Jul 14, 02:12

I must suddenly be doing this wrong.

I have a marine officer, and marines but can not get the "board" option to highlight on the Rahanas in OL.

Do you need to have a captain onboard as well for after capture?
Last edited by CanadianBrit on Thu, 17. Jul 14, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Thu, 17. Jul 14, 02:55

odd. try a game restart? should work
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

CanadianBrit
x4

Post by CanadianBrit » Thu, 17. Jul 14, 13:31

YorrickVander wrote:odd. try a game restart? should work
Nope. The option still isn't available. Greyed out.

Also hired a Captain, Defense Officer and an Engineer to the Skunk just in case that was the issue.

Plot wise, in the event that this has anything to do with it; I've done the Xenon missions. Only active mission is a housekeeping mission for my Fab plant.

WelbyMDBassett
x3tc

Post by WelbyMDBassett » Sat, 26. Jul 14, 17:17

Want to make some easy money... LOL. I can't believe this worked. It might also help with those who do not get the board option.

I capped an Arawn in a sector with a shipyard. I decided when I went after it that I would sell it to the shipyard. I have enough already. So to be funny, I only put a captain on board. Sold to shipyard for $48M. Ship is NOT destroyed, but turns blue. Reputation at this point was positive 19. So... Can I recap it? Saved game before I tried. Bought another capain. The first answer was NO. But by getting out of the game and reloading my save game, I found that the "Board" option appeared. Cool. Since all the Arawn had on it was a captain, there was no guns firing, no engineer to fix things, it was an easy re-capture! YES. Put new captain on board ship. Sold it again for another $48M. Reputation went down to positive 8. Careful though, for as I re-captured for the third time, my reputation turned RED and had to send ship out of sector after I captured it. I did however put an engineer and defense officer on board the last time.
It is not the end result that I value so much in life... It is the journey that got me there. :)

kalnedrilith

Post by kalnedrilith » Tue, 7. Oct 14, 10:02

[quote="CanadianBrit"]I must suddenly be doing this wrong.

I have a marine officer, and marines but can not get the "board" option to highlight on the Rahanas in OL.

Do you need to have a captain onboard as well for after capture?[/quote]

i know, resurection and all... but i had that problem for a while, untill i realized that bringing the marine officeer on board just brings them on as a passenger... you have to contact them and ask them to actually WORK on the skunk to get them to board for you again. if it doesn't help you, i hope it helps someone else.

JoeTheDestroyer
x3tc

Post by JoeTheDestroyer » Sun, 14. Dec 14, 07:39

There have been significant changes to boarding in 3.0:
Xenon_Slayer wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking into the reported problems with boarding. As you can see, there have been some rather drastic changes in RC1 and I'll highlight the main points below to hopefully shed some light on any problems your having or any issues left with the feature.

The major changes include:
- The removal of Veteran and Elite marines from traders. You can only acquire recruits
- Marines can now die during a boarding mission, even if it ends in success (with lower level marines having a higher chance of dying)
- Surviving marines have a chance of being promoted to Veteran and Elite
- The 'boarding resistance' of a target is visible in its info menu
- The strength difference between the different types of marines is now greater

The boarding resistance is the new major factor. Previously, the strength of a boarded target was based on if it was a L or XL sized ship. Now, it is similar to how the sell price is calculated.
So that includes:
- The base worth of the ship
- The current hull value
- The state of surface elements
- The drones on board

With 50 recruit marines and a decent Marine Commander, you can expect to be boarding L sized freighters/miners once their surface elements are mostly gone and hull is below 50%.
Damage the ship more and you increase the survivability of your marines in a trade off for the value of the ship.

After a successful boarding, you may have lost some marines but some may have been promoted so after acquiring replacements, the overall capability will be higher for the next boarding. You'll be able to board bigger ships or have ships be less damaged.

Hopefully that info will let us know if there's a problem with the balancing.
As such, I thought I would take a look at the script code and update this thread.

Boarding Phase
There are exactly 5 rounds and if your number of marines is reduced to 3 or less you lose.

Per Round
First, if you fail Yisha's mission you immediately lose 15-25% of your marines, regardless of your attack power. (There is no positive benefit to passing the mission other than no automatic losses.)

Next, your current (updated for losses) attack power AT is calculated:
AT = (R*0.5 + V*1.5 + E*5.0)*MO

Where:
R,V,E are the current number of Rookie, Veteran, and Elite marines
MO is a value between 0.01 and 1.01 representing your officer's skill. A 5 star officer is 1.01 while a 4 star is should be around 0.81.

The enemies boarding resistance BR can be seen in the detail menu for target ship. It is calculated internally so the exact formula is currently unknown (except for what is stated in the quote above).

If your AT is more than 10 over his BR, you win the round with no losses.

If his BR is more than 10 over your AT, you suffer (16*BR/AT)% to (18*BR/AT)% losses.

If your AT and his BR are within 10 of each other, you have a ((BR-AT+10)*5)% chance of suffering 5-10% losses (otherwise, no losses).

Losses
The loss percentage is applied to the current number of marines. For each loss, a marine is selected to kill in the following way:
1) The different classes of marines (Mk1, Mk2, Mk3) present are gathered.
2) One of the classes are selected, with lower Mk being more likely (the exact probability distribution is not known)
3) A marine in the class is killed

After Success
The ship ownership is transferred and a "boarded signal" is sent. (This signal appears to be handled internally, so I have no idea about things like reputation loss in open space.)

Each surviving marine has a chance at promotion. A rookie has a 25% chance of becoming a veteran. A veteran has a 2% chance of becoming an elite.

The officer may level (increasing his boarding skill only).

Comments
It has been noted in other topics that BR counts drones with no discrimination of type. So utility drones (e.g., cargo) count equal to combat drones. This tends to give freighters and miners absurdly high BR values until the drone bay is destroyed.

It appears doing Yisha's missions is no longer optional. I guess someone at Egosoft got mad that we were all skipping the missions they put so much work into...

The maximum possible attack power is 50*5*1.01=252.5.

The number of marines of each type doesn't matter when calculating losses, but whether each type is present does. So, if you have room, always have some rookies on board to sacrifice.

Unlike before, the target's BR doesn't change over the course of the boarding. However, losses do reduce your AT, (significantly) increasing the change of losing later rounds. As such, suffering minor or moderate losses is nearly impossible. It's either no losses or massive losses/failure.

A 5 star officer with 50 rookies has AT=25.25, while a 5 star/50 veteran crew has AT=75.75. So training up your marines quickly is important. This means your first target must have BR < 15.25 (if possible?). Thus, with no losses, you will gain roughly 12 veterans and your AT increases to about 37.9. If the BR is any higher than this, you will suffer massive losses and only gain a few veterans. So finding a soft first target is also critical.

TL;DR
To suffer no losses, calculate your AT as above and subtract 10. Destroy the target's drone bay and damage the hull (or other surface components) until the displayed BR is less than this number. Also, you should not skip/fail any of Yisha's missions.
Last edited by JoeTheDestroyer on Tue, 16. Dec 14, 03:06, edited 2 times in total.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sun, 14. Dec 14, 14:35

JoeTheDestroyer wrote:MO is a value between 0.01 and 1.01 representing your officer's skill. A 5 star officer is 1.01 while a 4 star is should be around 0.81.
sounds to me like the formula for the MO Multiplier is basically
MO★*0,2 + 0,01
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

JoeTheDestroyer
x3tc

Post by JoeTheDestroyer » Sun, 14. Dec 14, 17:14

UniTrader wrote:sounds to me like the formula for the MO Multiplier is basically
MO★*0,2 + 0,01
Yes, if all skills are equal that is true. But if the 3 important skills (Leadership, Morale and Boarding IIRC) are not equal, then if someone calls a 3/4/5 officer a "4 star" it won't be exactly right. I looked around, but couldn't find if we've been told the exact weights for marine officer skills.

JoeTheDestroyer
x3tc

Post by JoeTheDestroyer » Mon, 15. Dec 14, 00:11

I've updated the my 3.0 boarding mechanics with some new info.

In the other thread, lubatomy noticed a possible bug. Currently, anything less than a 5 star officer is worse than no officer at all.

Ausplat
x4

Post by Ausplat » Mon, 15. Dec 14, 09:26

:lol: @ the look on my face when capping the OL>DA empty Rahanas and they all died.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Mon, 15. Dec 14, 15:17

Ausplat wrote::lol: @ the look on my face when capping the OL>DA empty Rahanas and they all died.

Killed by the creature that probably killed them? :D
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

lubatomy
x4

Post by lubatomy » Mon, 15. Dec 14, 21:19

JoeTheDestroyer wrote:I've updated the my 3.0 boarding mechanics with some new info.

In the other thread, lubatomy noticed a possible bug. Currently, anything less than a 5 star officer is worse than no officer at all.
Devs have responded to the potential bug and it is apparently working as intended and designed.

From the response, this was change was coded such that they knew what the upper limit of boarding strength they wanted the player to have was. then they use that formula to reduce strength from max possible to account for less than max level boarding officer. While from a programing standpoint it is a good way to put a limit on things when you know what the upper limit you want is.

Now that it was explained I understand what was done though i have to agree with some that the max strength a player can get may still be a little low, but that is just my opinion.

JoeTheDestroyer
x3tc

Post by JoeTheDestroyer » Tue, 16. Dec 14, 03:13

lubatomy wrote:
JoeTheDestroyer wrote:I've updated the my 3.0 boarding mechanics with some new info.
Devs have responded to the potential bug and it is apparently working as intended and designed.
Yep, post updated.

Honestly, that issue bothers me less that being forced to do Yisha's missions. I probably will (at some point) make a mod to change that back to the old way (skipping the mission merely applied a penalty to your attack value). Then I can go back to skipping the things once I have a crew of veterans and elites.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”